ZX12R

VBN

VBN

Associate
Hi Chaps

Well after nealy a year without, I'm getting the urge to get a bike again to gather dust in the garage....I got rid of the GSXR1000 last April. I've been about getting a ZX12R, anyone got one?

I figured that it'd be a little more sensible than getting another out and out sports bike. I know its goes like.. off a shovel but it is *maybe* a good fit. I've has big kwack sports tourers before GPz900r, 1000RX and ZZR1100.

Opinions?

Soldato
Keep looking at these as a second bike. Always loved Kwaks as my first bike was a ZX6R. And I've got a real soft spot for the 12 in the black and gold.

kawasaki-zx12r-ninja.jpg

Associate
Have had 2 of these battle cruisers.1 A1 unrestricted 2000 model.1 B1 restricted 02 model.The A1 had full yoshi system,power commander etc 184bhp at the rear wheel,saw 195 on the speedo and was still pulling.Got knocked of that at 30mph and got the B1.

Ive owned a few gixer1000s and R1s (on FJR1300 now)but these things are a step up.B1s onwards are the ones to get (check the model historys),get a test ride if you can.

Good:Silky smooth engine,deceptivly fast,not as intimidating as you would expect,ram air induction roar,flickable for such a big bike.

Bad:Fuel consumption,80-90 miles from a £17 full tank (under the seat) 100 miles if you ride it easy,can bald a rear tyre in less than 2000 miles.
And as they say,just watch your license.

VBN

VBN

Associate
OP
Holy Molley didn’t realise it was quite such a guzzler, not that I’d do many miles but still when I do I’d like to be able to hit 150 on a single tank, maybe I could ride like a girl (no offence to girls intended)

Was that on both the A1 and B1?

Associate
Pretty much same for A1 and B1.Not sure about newer models but I suspect there not much better.Apparentley they have same fuel inj/management system as a mitsubishi evo.You can eek out few extra mpg by binning std exhaust,catalytic converter wastes fuel,maybe some dyno work.

I tryed many times going everywhere under 5k rpm but could never get much more than 100 miles per tank,shame,its a comfortable bikes for long rides.

VBN

VBN

Associate
OP
Hmm erring now on this and a ZX9R.

My local bike shop has a ZX12R for 3k but with 32k on the clock. Whilst I know this isnt a huge amount for a motor like this, I'm old school and anything over 20 thou seems a lot and there is always hald a mind to resale value. Or I have found a ZX9R in Southampton with only 10K on the clock for 2.5k............ The ZX12R looks much nicer in black and the 9 is Green/Black n' purple. Oh decisons decisons.

Soldato
Are you in any rush. If not just wait a bit longer. A lower mileage 12 will turn up. I wouldn't get one with 32k on myself either. Sure it would be fine if it was well looked after but even so,I've seen 12s with a hell of a lot less miles on for that cash.

The 9 is a good bike, but I'd still wait for the right 12.

Back
Top Bottom