M4 SSD 5200 hour timebomb

Soldato
Had a nightmare of a time updating the firmware on my M4 64gb :S It consistantly blue screened on loading windows after I installed it, yet I didn't change any bios settings. Have had to do a full windows re-install, but luckily I haven't lost anything I didn't have already backed up. Highly recommend backing your important files up before doing this, just incase...

Associate
I did a backup of mine just before. It wouldn't update at first kept giving me errors had to change sata controller to IDE for it to work all updated now and changed back to AHCI mode ran the ssdlife and crystaldiskmark to see how it looks heres a pic of all info:

ssd_info.png

Why has the firmware gone from 0009 to 0309 dont they do firmware in sequence anymore i.e. from 0009 to 0010?

Last edited:
Soldato
Flashed my drive this morning, worked perfectly first time. Am impressed with how easy it was to do, frankly firmware upgrades usually fill me with dread but this was incredibly simple :)

Soldato
The flashing processes are always quick and indeed should be painless. It is switching the PC back on afterwards when your issues could occur :)

Don't want to sound an alarmist but make sure you backup your drive before you flash and do not be tempted to believe that it will always be a trouble free experience.

When I last flashed my OCZ drive but the red and green lights stayed permanently on to show it had gone into "panic mode" and thus was completely dead. The flash went fine it was the boot after which was the issue.!
Thankfully even though my drive was just short of a year old the retailer exchanged it for a Crucial M4.
Also I did backup the entire drive before I flashed.

Soldato
Yay !

Flashed both drives nice and quickly changing RAID to ACHI then back after the flash :D

Cant run SSD life as it doesnt work on RAIDed drives, but all updated :D

edit

WEI score of 7.9 for what its worth :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom