• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

960T need some tips to overclock :)

Associate
hello, i have never overclocked anything to a extent i can say 'i did that properly'
i have a 960T wich has unlocked to 6 cores and 3.4ghz automaticly
my cooler is a Gelid Tranquillo CPU Cooler.
i dont realy know the proper steps to do this and whats safe, whats not safe.
i know raising the multiplyer raises the ghz, aswell as the cpu frequencey. but i dont know if i have to raise voltage and if so by how much and i need a genral process i think tbh.

i have asrockOC wich iv been looking as, is this a good tool to use or naff?

my mobo is a ASRock M3A770DE AMD 770.
and my gphix card is a MSI GeForce GTX 570 OC Twin FrozR III Power Edition

if anyones got experinece with oc'ing this cpu id appreachiate some sort of steps i can folow easily, i would like a stable 4ghz's if possible?

Thank you

Associate
Where is MOOGLEYS when you need him, he has had several and pushed some of them upto as high as 4GHz. It's a shame that you have a 770 chipset as I think it will stop you from using AMD Overdrive, I have a 790X so can install that. Having said that, whilst you can use software windows based overclocking tools I have used and many others also use just their motherboard BIOS to overclock.

The upper limit for the CPU i believe is 1.55v, although if you were looking for a safe 24/7 overclock you would almost certainly not want to go that high.

You can overclock just using the multiplier and adding a bit of voltage as required, this will keep your CPU baseclock at 200MHz and your NorthBridge and HyperTransport speed at it's default of 2GHz. You can also overclock using the CPU baseclock as well as the multiplier, so for instance I have set my baseclock at 250MHz and my multiplier at 14.5, my CPU voltage at 1.45v, I've also disabled Turbo Core and Enabled CnQ.

So I've ended up with a 6 core that goes up to 3.625GHz when required, in low usage it drops to a 4x multiplier (4x my base clock of 250MHz) at 1GHz, i'm stable in OCCT and Prime95 with all 6 cores at this speed.

You are probably on Auto in your BIOS for everything, the default voltage on mine runs at 1.35v, personally I would disable TurboCore and start upping your multiplier x.5 and running OCCT or Priime95 to check for stability, you will probably reach a point between 3.2GHz or 3.8GHz where 1.35v isn't enough and your stability test fails, at this point, probably just after your BSOD, go into the BIOS and change your voltage from Auto to 1.375v or 1.3625v, mine moves in increments of .0125v until you reach a stable stress test and then continue, you are the only one who can say how high you are prepared to go on the voltage...

There are other ways of doing this, such as using the baseclock as well as the multiplier, and other weapons you can use to get stability, such as tweaking your NorthBridge voltage, but others are much more experienced than me with OC advice so I'll leave it to them...

Good luck and keep us posted,

regards,
J.

Edit: Your latest motherboard BIOS is version 1.80 here, that could help although as I say I'm no expert. Also you motherboard does support AMD OverDrive, you can download the latest version here.

Last edited:
Associate
right just got the Phenom2 960T BE and i have overclock it to 3.4 GHz @V Core 1.45
and if i disable the turbo Core the computer will not start up i can OC it more put i got erros in prime95
has unlocked to 6 cores

on full load temp is around 54 adol at 31 i am sure this cpu will go hire

my specs are

moutherboard m5a97 Pro
Phenom2 960T BE
scythe ninja 3 high performance CPU cooler
Memory G. Skill 1600 8gig at 1.5 Volts
powesupply 650
radeon HD 6870

Associate
The thing with that overclock pringles is you get that anyway with the stock CPU, the turbocore takes it up to 3.4 at 1.475v. What are you using your PC for? If you primarily game, you would probably be better off dropping it back down to a 4 core and trying to get it up as high as you can as a quad, if you need, or would like, the additonal cores you can try to tweak your voltages, clock speeds hell fan speeds to get it higher...

There is a thread for Phenom II overclocking here, if you take a look in that thread remember that there are many packages the Phenom II came in, Callisto, Deneb and others, ours is a Zosma which is based on the hex core Thuban core... You are far better off getting advice from in that thread on the options for overclocking as it is not really my field, until I picked up this 960T really...

regards,
J.

P.S. I've linked to page 1 in that thread which goes back to January 2010, there are 85 pages to go at, you will probably want to skip some to get a more up to date set of phenom 2s that people are talking about...

Associate
Yes drop back to 4 cores, also set you ram timings and ram voltage manually I couldn't get anything stable until I did, memory timings are daunting but most can derived from the initial 4 numbers (eg. 9-9-9-24)

Post 34 is what helped me out when I was banging my head against a wall with 960t and all the time my problems were actually leaving the bios to manage the RAM

Associate
Yes drop back to 4 cores, also set you ram timings and ram voltage manually I couldn't get anything stable until I did, memory timings are daunting but most can derived from the initial 4 numbers (eg. 9-9-9-24)

Post 34 is what helped me out when I was banging my head against a wall with 960t and all the time my problems were actually leaving the bios to manage the RAM

I have to say Dan, that's probably very board and ram specific, I had hell with some OCZ ram I originally bought for my M4A79XTD EVO, however after changing to some Corsair XMS3 it's been absolutely rock solid and I've never used anything other than Auto settings. I realise you had a horrible experience but you shouldn't necessarily have to manually set ram timings to get an overclock working...

regards,
J.

Associate
New update
Capture.png

Associate
yes fully stable run prime95 for over 8 hours. max temps dont even go ever 51. Core volage hits around 1.488 been playing BF3 most off the day and no erres at all

Back
Top Bottom