Confidence knocked after CBT

Associate
So back ground
31 Year old been driving since 18 no accidents, careful, confident driver.

For Christmas got a CBT voucher and Friday decided to use it, Weather wasn't great but was looking forward to it, even though I have never rode a geared bike before. But it went down hill.

The bike was a Jap copy of a Honda CBF I think, with an electric starter that didn't work so when I stalled it, and a did a few times I had to kick start it. This got worse when sat at the lights and it just died, battery wasn't giving it enough juice to tick over with the lights on having to kick start a bike at the lights is horrible, was getting attitude from the instructor saying if I didn't keep stalling it the battery wouldn't be getting flat.

Even with all this I still passed, but just not feeling to special about going out on a bike again, been reading the forum like mad and watching bike reviews to try and make me feel better but still unsure.

Soldato
Please, I beg of you do not judge the biking world on one bad situation like that. It sounds like you ended up with a terrible deal chap.

Next time, go somewhere with a better reputation.

I have had so many "sod this" moments when riding, first was failing my first test for putting my foot down. Struggled with it for 2 days! Then after I finally passed it was spring and I rode my 748 religiously every day 50 miles in all weather, freezing cold rain was the worst. Each day I thought "sod this... this isn't what I pictured"... Then the summer came, friends started inviting me out to rides to the beach, ended up making friends at the local bike cafe... And from then on I have been hooked! Was always around bikes as a lad. But due to that first few months of riding, I almost judged the entire experiance of it. Oh I was wrong.

Everytime I see the sun shining at 0800 on a Sunday morning, the cloth comes out, quick polish of the bike, grab leathers, cup of tea, warm bike up and my Sunday begins! Yes, I am actually smiling thinking of next Sunday haha.

Buy your self a little 125 for a couple hundred quid, pop to the shops and stuff on it for milk and stuff. You will soon realise why us nut jobs have gone down the road of 2 wheel madness :D

Last edited:
Associate
Hey there dudey :)

I'm about to do my CBT very soon but in Swansea with a company called SMART! Just down the road from you! I've been doing sooooo much research on training as I will be doing a round the world trip in 6months time so want to make sure I can get the best I can.

The guy I spoke to there... Iaynto, was brilliant. We had a cuppa with him end of last year and of all the people I met up with he was the friendliest and yet with a firm understanding of what I need to achieve. He doesn't just get people to a stage where they pass the test, if he feels they need more training he will say so and offer it in an encouraging way.

We met a couple of the people learning to ride with him (one girl - so friendly - never ridden before or even driven so completely new) and she sang his praises. Not only did she have a laugh if she messed up (first time she got on the bike on her own she fell straight off) but she said Iaynto and the team had advised her to the max and had so much patience and care.

It's run by a bunch of retired coppers (and being one myself I immediately liked this as Cop riders have... phenomenal training and well. Yes! Good sense of humour too!) My advice? Give these guys a call and pop along for a cuppa and you'll see what I mean. It was a complete stark contrast from other people I approached in various other areas who were all about getting people in and out.

Hoping you continue and let us know how you get on!

Keep smiling

:)

(linky to their webby by the way...SMART Motorcycle Training ... hope they can do something for you :))

Associate
The CBT knocked my confidence a bit as well. What helped me was to buy a 125 of my own and spend time riding that without the pressure of an instructor. You can go at your own speed and get your confidence up before moving on. I guarantee you'll have much more fun on your own 125 than on the CBT! :)

Some schools have very ropey 125s for CBTs. It doesn't help your confidence if you're having to learn how to ride at the same time as nursing a fault with the bike. Still, you managed it! Don't be so hard on yourself - you did really well.

Associate
The bike was a Jap copy of a Honda CBF I think, with an electric starter that didn't work so when I stalled it, and a did a few times I had to kick start it.

I don't think that should put you off, that's be like saying the car broke down when learning to drive so gave up.

Honda is a Japanese Company, and the CBF doesn't have a kickstart.......

Soldato
The CBF125 is made in India, though the build quality is usually pretty good. However, these bikes do get an absolute hammering from learners, so it's probably more a reflection on their lack of maintenance than the bike itself.

Associate
OP
The bike was an import, EDIT: think I found it - http://www.motorcyclesupermarket.com/used-motorcycles/2011-(11)-Lifan-Mirage--in-Paisley-5795506

Ended up with a nasty bruise on my leg where I was having to kick start it, took 4 goes before it started. Was going to go and have a chat with the people at thunder road as see what they have in stock.

Don't know why it bothered me so much, think it was the attitude more than anything, felt like they had no patience which is odd considering.

Like you say with a decent bike under me I will feel better.

Oh and I only got given a helmet and jacket, no boots or trouser. Not sure if that is normal but scary with the wind whipping your jeans up

Last edited:
Associate
OP
It's fairly normal for the CBT. You might want to consider something warmer though!

Well I am thinking of getting a bike for a commuter so warm gear all the way. I ride my mountain bike at the moment so am used to wrapping up warm.

Also thinking of getting as new as possible, like the idea of getting a bit of warranty with the bike.

Last edited:
Soldato
I had a crap CBT too, shoddy old bike that kept cutting out. It was only until the CBT instructor found it unridable that they agreed it wasn't me. Jumped on a CBR 125 for my training the week after and had none of the problems that I had before. That was 7 years ago (wow).

Associate
My girlfriend had a crap CBT due to the instructor having 8(!!) peds in the car park and only 2 people on geared bikes (her included)... neither of them were allowed on the road as they had not mastered the gear change in the allotted time period...

I think this is shocking and it has put her off biking which is a real shame. I'm trying to get her to do it with someone better now.

Best of luck mate, don't give up or let it put you off :)

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
All I can say is that the Dude who gave you attitude will more than likely be the only other biker to ever give you any ever. The majority of bikers I know ride with an unspoken connection to All other bikers. :cool:
Get yourself involved in the Bikers section here & get yourself a 1T & get out there. ;)

Associate
OP
Well I put a down payment on a 2010 CBF with only 316 miles on the clock, still has a years warranty on it

Picking it up in 2 weeks

Also while I was their got all the gear head to toe all waterproof textiles. Must admit just wearing all the correct gear makes you feel a lot better. Almost cocooned.

Associate
Well I put a down payment on a 2010 CBF with only 316 miles on the clock, still has a years warranty on it

Picking it up in 2 weeks

Also while I was their got all the gear head to toe all waterproof textiles. Must admit just wearing all the correct gear makes you feel a lot better. Almost cocooned.

Good choice, really enjoyed my cbf when I had it, might not be the fastest but it wont ever skip a beat (or at least mine didn't :p)

Associate
OP
Good choice, really enjoyed my cbf when I had it, might not be the fastest but it wont ever skip a beat (or at least mine didn't :p)

Well they had a white one on a 2011 plate was so tempted love it in white but had over 3k on the clock. The one I have bought turned out to be registed to Thunder Road, they where using it as a run around so has been well looked after.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom