Watch Sky in 2 rooms

Caporegime
Hi

How does one go about getting Sky in 2 rooms only using a single box. I'm not on about multi room, I just want to be able to watch what would be on the Living room in the Bedroom.

I can remember ages ago something called a Magic Eye or something allowing this? Is there still such a device? Basically want to be able to view and control my living room Sky+ box from the bedroom.

Caporegime
Magic eye or TV link as they sometimes get called is what you need. Connect coax cable between sky + and other TV and you're away. Only mono sound and worst possible picture though.

Caporegime
OP
I assume with a Sky+HD box it will only send SD channels down the coax? Do the HD boxes even have the coax output?

Does the SKy box pass though the aerial signal too so that the TV at the Magic Eye end would still get Freeview as well as a 'channel' for Sky?

Associate
I assume with a Sky+HD box it will only send SD channels down the coax? Do the HD boxes even have the coax output?

Does the SKy box pass though the aerial signal too so that the TV at the Magic Eye end would still get Freeview as well as a 'channel' for Sky?

The Sky+HD boxes still have the second coax connectors and yes, it will pass through the digital terrestrial signal. As already said, this setup is a quick and easy way of doing it, just about adequate for a small TV but the picture quality will be noticeably inferior on a larger screen.

Caporegime
OP
It's not that far to the other TV, but it is 2 rooms away in a flat. Running HDMI would be ideal, but unfortunately I can't as its a rented place. There is coax already wired into the walls though from where the Sky box will be to the TV in the other room, so I can just use that.

I know the coax will be the worst quality option, but for a fiver its fine to just watch the odd program now and again

Associate
Antiference make a good one. Most have a massive IR sensor but this one is small so can be stuck to the side of the tv and you wont notice it. All are pretty much the same though, not much to go wrong with them.

You must make sure that your amplifier has a pass-through for the "magic eye", or avoid using one on that coax cable as it will stop the sensor working.

Back
Top Bottom