Client-friendly CMS

Associate
I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a powerful PHP CMS that, while offering flexibility to the developer, also has a really simple interface for page editing/blog updating by clients with minimal computing skill?

Associate
Wordpress is OK as it is very popular, loads of tutorials out there for a client to access.

Expression Engine is pretty easy for the client to use, but is priced at a business level.

Another free one to look at is ModX, slightly fiddly to setup up, but easy for the client to use.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the suggestions!
But you're pitching "simple for web users" and I'm kinda looking more for "simple for a small business owner who 'turns on the internet' by clicking 'the big blue e'" ;)

Glad MODX got some love here though, it deserves more appreciation!

Associate
I doubt you will find much simpler than those mentioned to be honest, from a admins point of view.

I have a series of videos showing them how to get done what they need to which, they have access to. If I am really worried about the client being a complete non techy then I will create a specific user and limit there privileges.

Also in the past I have modified there control panel to remove features. A bit harsh and some people won't like it. But it saves a lot of hassle from them when they have changed something they shouldn't have done and saves the negative comments they make.

Associate
OP
I've just found http://get-simple.info/ which looks like it might be suitable for me - and even then I'm gonna strip a lot of links and options out of it! The clients are able to call for help with anything more complicated and expect it done within the hour, that's fine and included in the fee, but this is just an option for the more adventurous to save both parties the hassle while not risking anything else going wrong!

Associate
The on I've always used is Joomla. It's the easiest one you could ever give to a client, but depending on what web server it's on it's not the fastest script out there, as I had initial problems with server strain etc!

fez

fez

Caporegime
No CMS is idiot proof. We have a number of clients that should not be allowed near a CMS. Just make it clear to them that if they need you to clean it up, you will be charging them.

Back
Top Bottom