Advice planning central heating system/re-wire and general renovation

Soldato
Hi

If my offer gets accepted I may undertake a very large house renovation.

I'd like to know where I could get advice on planning a central heating system and the re-wiring. Are there any good magazines, books or websites?

cheers
R

Associate
Once the new system is in place test before replacing any flooring. I thought everthing was ok no leaks etc but when the heating is turned on the pipes rattle. i know what it is but to fix i need to take up the floor. In summary secure the pipes as much as possible.

Soldato
OP
Thanks.

Sorry, it may have been unclear in my original post. I wont be doing the heating system or the re-wiring.

I just want information so that I can plan it. So that when I have a chat with an electrician/heating engineer I don't go to the conversation without any background knowledge.

I've had a look at the Build and Renovate Magazine but the information sees a bit light.

Cheers
R

Soldato
Once the new system is in place test before replacing any flooring. I thought everthing was ok no leaks etc but when the heating is turned on the pipes rattle. i know what it is but to fix i need to take up the floor. In summary secure the pipes as much as possible.

Off-topic, but free bump for the OP :p

Echo this point. I've got a piece of plastic piping servicing the shower and bath taps that runs alongside the bath. Each time I run something that is abrupt with the water flow, e.g. washing machine it sounds like someone is playing the drums.

I know it's the T-joint that splits the pipe and that it is banging against the side of the bath but to fix it's a PITA because of the orientation of the bath :( Can't believe I didn't secure it. Going to try sticking a water hammer by the washing machine to see if it alleviates it.

Soldato
electrical side, plenty of electricians on the boards including myself. Also I've dabbled in automation so can give advice.
main advice make sure that you spend time completing a decent drawing for each as it makes things so much easier to understand

Commissario
electrical side, plenty of electricians on the boards including myself. Also I've dabbled in automation so can give advice.
main advice make sure that you spend time completing a decent drawing for each as it makes things so much easier to understand

That, and make sure if you're getting a full rewire you put in plenty of sockets, there is zero point putting in singles IMO anywhere in the house, with the possible exception of somewhere like the hall where you might only ever plug a hoover in* :)
Also, full rewire time is a great time to put in Cat 5e cabling to at least one point in each room (with them terminating in the loft, or cupboard), as it saves a lot of mucking around with wireless/homeplugs etc.

*It astounds me that even now new builds often seem to only put in single sockets in many places - despite the fact a double only costs a few pounds more per unit, and is much more useful.

Soldato
If you got wifey, get her to plan the kitchen/ utility room as to where she want sockets, & then confirm everything with her.
In my opinion have three ring mains, down, up & kitchen/utilty.

Do separate drawings for ground floor, kitchen/utility, first floor, etc.

Think about two way & three way switching locations, if your not using attic, put a double socket up there & lighting, save trailing leads.
And don't under estimate the number of sockets you need, & network the place, just finished networking my place, & I was made to put a outlet in the kitchen, have a small opteron 146 pc in a cupboard, small 17" monitor on wall, found it very handy for recipes, much to my surprise.

Last edited:
Associate
I Put 14 sockets in my bedroom (7 doubles) :D (and i still need to use a 6 way ext lead :()

It use to have only one single socket :(
Same here.

I don't know what planning you want to do beyond choosing what you want and where?
Choose what radiator you want in each room. Using an online calc work out what size it needs to be, then find a rad that best fits that requirement - right physical size vs BTU output (we quite like the Stelrad Softline ones)

For the electrics stick double sockets everywhere :) one in each corner, and a few more in corners with TVs etc!

Look into sourcing some stuff yourself. We can get radiators cheaper from HeatAndPlumb etc than our plumber can from the merchants, he's happy to fit them for us.
Same with electrical face plates, we got trade packs of MK double sockets from eBay for a couple of quid each, our electrician said he couldn't get them for less than £5 a piece

Hopefully that was of some help

Soldato
For the electrics stick double sockets everywhere :) one in each corner, and a few more in corners with TVs etc!
also think very careful if you want your sockets sank into the wall or surface mounted..

As i sank all my sockets into the wall and now wish i left them surface mounted..
when there all sank into the wall you can't move them when you change the room around :o :( :o

Soldato
I found the Housebuilders Bible to be an excellent primer on the topic and ver very readable. It would at least get you thinking along the right lines before you delve into the detail.

Caporegime
In terms of central heating, we're kind of wondering which way to go.

Tankless boilers seem to be the most efficient way to go in terms of being on when you need it and avoiding keeping a tank hot, but then with long term costs of elec/gas going up a solar panel heating system is starting to make a lot of sense about now, but its a really long term investment in terms of payback, though if prices rise badly in the next few years now could be the time to get it done, thing is it will only work with a tank having central heating system.

We're probably moving in not too long so debating if its worth doing as a selling point, or just a waste of money right now.

There are downsides for tankless, minor delay in getting hot water, there are boilers out there that have basically 1-2 gallon tank in the boiler rather than a massive tank and that gives hot water faster and is still ultra efficient, seen them in the states, not sure if they are available here yet though.

In terms of heating, radiant floor is supposed to rock, because the floor feels warm rather than cold a lower temp seems to feel warmer, and because it warms air up all over the room rather than the middle its more efficient, "normal" radiators tend to push the hottest air against the coldest parts of the room, walls/ceilings before it comes back down into the room.

My gut feeling is, if you're planning on staying a long time I'd go with a very expensive to start with(if you can) solar panel heating system and tank having boiler/central heating setup. I think you can get a system that uses a tank(one that is compatible) and then maybe add a panel in a few years, but you'd want to plan for where the tank goes and where the panel would be eventually to make that work as best as possible.

Our boiler is old, and crap and has broken down pretty often in the past 5 years(probably once a year), but is waiting on a new kitchen, bathroom, and complete flush of system and several radiators being replaced so we've got to replace tank/boiler/half the radiators and move a lot of it already.

Caporegime
The cost of someone's time is a lot more expensive than your wiring accessories - don't let someone put in junk. MK double sockets are a few quid from any decent wholesaler, consumer units are about a tenner more than garbage like Hager - it really is a small fraction added to the cost of putting crap in, with the avantage that it will last longer and you'll be able to get replacement bits forever.

Last edited:

JLJ

JLJ

Associate
What's the ballpark figure to rewire a 3 bed 900 Sq feet?
In the process of buying a 1930s ex council house and have been told the wiring needs sorting out.

Soldato
First question is can you clarify the term wiring needs doing? Does it need:
A) full rewire, ripping out old cables and equipment
B) update of equipment, I.e. new consumer unit.

The main cost you will have is labour. Which depends on type of walls, type of installation.
The best bit of advice is to dràw the locations you want for the.Electrics yourself on a schematics and ask you're Sparky if you can purchase the fittings yourself from a trader as the get marked up to make a profit.
Also if you're. DIY minded a.d you need to chase out cable runs (solid walls) do it yourself as most sparkys either charge a fortune or try and get way with using mini trunking.

P.s. for drawings you want the.usual width and length plus height of rooms. Also why you're at I put lights in the attic PST underrated idea ever

Soldato
As above, I took a felt pen and drew on all the walls where I wanted sockets. I put in speaker cables, cat 6, ceiling speakers etc, chased in coaxial for sky/virgin media bb).

I bought flat stainless steel fittings myself from TLC Direct.

Back
Top Bottom