** NEW SAMSUNG 750D & 950D True 120Hz LED Monitors - PRE-ORDER! **

Associate
Can anyone tell me what cables come with the 700d and 750d please ?
I was looking through a lot of pages but there's just too many to get through for a simple piece of information maybe it would be a good idea to grab all the best info and put it in the first post for people to access quickly ?

the reason i ask is im not sure which i will go for yet i have dvi and mini Dp connections on the gfx card if the 750d comes with a mini to large dp connector then its just a case of price difference i do prefer the look of the 750 though = )

Caporegime
Errm, I honestly can't remember what came with my 700d, I'm pretty damn sure it came with a dual link DVI which is what it uses for the 120hz, I can't remember if it came with a hdmi cable or not.

I wouldn't spend extra on what is all but the same screen for the 750d version, though maybe the prices aren't far apart anymore. When I bought it was basically £90-100 less, for the same screen except a more "normal" stand and dvi instead of displayport.

Associate
yeah the differance in price is still a lot but i like the style with the clear bezel frame i like my tech to look the part aswell and perform and these clear bezel screens look really smart in person, Thinner = more modern and wow factor when your looking at screens imo and i usually keep my screen untill it dies at least 4-5 year unless the technology improves massivly in that time so when i buy one i make sure im happy with the style and quality knowing its got to last.

using DVI or display port won't bother me now or in the future because i've allways used ATI so i can't see myself stuck in a sutuation where i cannot connect to a screen because my gfx card dosen't support it, And i only run one monitor i cant see myself buying 3 identical monitors any time soon far to much money for gaming imo = )

Last edited:
Soldato
Can anyone tell me what cables come with the 700d and 750d please ?
I was looking through a lot of pages but there's just too many to get through for a simple piece of information maybe it would be a good idea to grab all the best info and put it in the first post for people to access quickly ?

the reason i ask is im not sure which i will go for yet i have dvi and mini Dp connections on the gfx card if the 750d comes with a mini to large dp connector then its just a case of price difference i do prefer the look of the 750 though = )

The 750D comes with a regular DP - DP cable. You can get a simple 10 inch MiniDP to DP adaptor for around £6 so don't let that put you off.

Associate
thank you for clarifying that PCM2 a lot of information you have posted has helped in the decision to go with either of these 2 monitors

one issue i did find with cables was DVI gets a really nice fix to both monitor and gfx card with the help of the screws holding it firmly in place but hdmi seems to wobble and can come loose really easy (not sure if this is with all cards) and i'v never used a DP cable before are they as delicate as hdmi or would you say there in the middle ground between hdmi and DVI ?

Last edited:
Associate
Hi Everyone

Really interested in the 750D...

Is there anyway around the 120Hz DP requirement ?

Ive got a GTX 560Ti and i have 2x DVI + 1 Mini HDMI :-/ Cant honestly justify getting this over say, an equivilent Dell, LG, IIyama and save myself £100 ish in the process!

Really dont have the budget to upgrade/replacing my card just for the sake of getting a DP.

Soldato
It is a very nice monitor in terms of picture quality, too, but no it isn't really worth the premium if you're only running at 60Hz. Unless you plan on upgrading your GPU at some point - then that is something you can 'unlock' later so to speak. Samsung don't seem to be issuing a replacement for the 750D or any other 120Hz monitors this year so don't worry about that.

Soldato
My thoughts on the Samsung S27A950D:

Well I got it. Been playing with the screen nearly all day. I must say, it surpassed any expectations that I had. I was already expecting a lot, but it just has so much to offer that it is hard to take all in.

For anyone not sure about getting the Samsung for 3D because of an Nvidia card, don't be. I used the Tridef software fine with my 570 and it was superb. Be prepared for some slow down though. Crysis 2 was very taxing on the GPU in 3D through Tridef.

Also, if anyone wants to get around using Tridef because their card is not up to the job for 3D, then you can use the 2D-3D conversion which is done by the monitor. I was really expecting this to suck, but I found it pretty damn good in some games. Not perfect but certainly a reasonable alternative in more demanding games. As is also the 2D-3D conversion of some movies. I'm pretty chuffed the Samsung comes with this little feature.

Another thing about the 3D being darker, (which so many people make an issue of in both games and movies) I would say it is really blown out of proportion. Never once did I find it ruining my experience or any way distracting. I haven't tried Nvidia 3D vision so I can't speak for that, but certainly for active 3D in general I think there are more important things to worry about.

As for the 120hz, I am bit undecided whether it is as good as people have made it out to be, from my own personal experience. There might be other screens with better results, I don't know. For the Samsung I had to check it was doing 120hz to even realise it was on. Then once I did, I examined more closely moving some of the menus in Windows, only then did I notice it a bit smoother. I loaded my cs 1.6 as well to check the difference and there was a 'bit' of extra smoothness to it. I wouldn't say it rivals a CRT, or in any way remind me of one (it still feels like an LCD display - I could never forget that) but it is a bit faster than your average screen. I'm not sure if the screen is relying on extra processing to achieve its speed or not, but at times I felt like there was some ghosting or trailing when things moved fast (I have very sensitive eyes for that sort of thing). Not really distracting but I'm not convinced the 120hz alone is what makes the screen appear smooth. In fact, I feel if you took away the extra processing it might appear very average. Anyway, that's enough criticism, everything else appears to be pretty darn good.

I calibrated by screen using a spyder usb calibrator and then adjusted the brightness directly on the monitor as it was way too high. I still think the screen needs some adjustment as I get banding from time to time in certain things which I am not too keen on, having come from a Dell IPS screen.

I think most people will be pleased with the Samsung S27A950D if they decided to get one. The screen is a good all-round performer for general use and with movies and games as well. But, I think if anyone is purely seeking a screen for just gaming and they want something incredibly quick, then they might want to consider the Benq or the Asus which I hear are much quicker for more competitive gaming. For movies, it's got to be an IPS, if that is all you want to use a screen for. The Samsung is gorgeous for movies, but the colours aren't quite as good as an IPS screen - and make no mistake, they ARE really good for a TN screen, it just all depends whether viewing angles and precise colours are important or not and if so it's gotta be an IPS - with experience from using my Dell U2312HM.

Regarding crosstalk, there is definitely some (again my eyes are sensitive and I notice these things very easily) and I could see it in most things but it is relatively easy to ignore. It all depends whether you choose to keep looking for it or allow yourself to be absorbed into the game/movie or not. Easier said than done, but I managed to do it and usually I would be first to say "stuff that" and pack it back in its box - so definitely not bad. However 3D in my opinion is not perfect for a lot of displays (and I base this on experience and a lot of info floating around out there to read). There are some displays that are awful and there are some that are good/ok but never really 'perfect' (since our eyes and sensitivity are all different) and for the Samsung the crosstalk is good/ok and there is definitely worse 3D out there to be seen, so it is quite a capable 3D display in my opinion.

I hope this helps anyone considering this screen. I know I was torn between quite a few and now I'm pleased I went for the Samsung. I was expecting soo many different things, based on all the info/opinions/reviews/videos I had seen of the screen and it still totally surprised me and beat all my expectations (coming from an IPS screen). It really is quite a solid performer, and definitely more so being a TN screen. In a lot of ways, it reminds me of my HP w2207 screen which too was a solid little performer for a TN screen. Hopefully the Samsung will last me equally as long as my HP screen was as my main monitor. I will update this review after I used it for a while to update anything I may change my mind on (hopefully not though as it is pretty impressive).

Still playing around with the settings but so far (as of today) I am using:

Brightness 30 (it is just waaaaay too bright otherwise)
Contrast 75
Sharpness 60
Response time is set to Faster (Fastest is really hard to watch anything in motion and strains my eyes).
Gamma mode: Mode 3 which I find gives slightly less banding (was previously Mode 1)

I left all the RGB colours alone on the monitor since my Spyder calibrator made a colour profile in Windows.

Last edited:
Soldato
Some good thoughts there. Incidentally, do you have the response time set to fastest? Honestly next to the U2312HM or any 60Hz LCD the difference should be profound (particularly when running at 120fps). I used the U2312HM at the same time myself.

Last edited:
Soldato
Some good thoughts there. Incidentally, do you have the response time set to fastest? Honestly next to the U2312HM or any 60Hz LCD the difference should be profound (particularly when running at 120fps). I used the U2312HM at the same time myself.

No but I did try fastest and I really didn't like it all - my eyes felt weird with it on and playing games/watching movies.

I'm a bit on the fence still about the 120hz. Maybe my eyes are just too tired at the moment but the refresh rate doesn't feel the same as 120hz on a CRT - which is understandable given they are not the same technology. Perhaps I was epecting too much from this? I'm going to try and check DVI-D is connected properly (even though it says it is operating at 120hz on both the monitor OSD and in the Nvidia control panel).

Soldato
Sometimes it does take some adjustment and you're quite right the different technologies do render things quite differently. So you might feel more comfortable with the 'fastest' mode in time. The results on this are technically very good as far as 120Hz LCDs go (one of the best actually) in the way of minimal trailing and overdrive artifacts at high frame rates but if it is uncomfortable to view then that's not a good mode to use. If you set the monitor to the fastest mode and switch between 120Hz and 60Hz in windows do you notice a difference? Also you don't have your U2312HM connected at the same time do you?

Soldato
If you set the monitor to the fastest mode and switch between 120Hz and 60Hz in windows do you notice a difference? Also you don't have your U2312HM connected at the same time do you?

Between 120hz and 60, I see very little difference. It looks more to me like the overdrive is doing most of the work than the refresh rate. However, I just tried 100hz and that was quite considerably smoother than 120hz, which is odd. Could this be a Nvidia related driver problem?

I'm not using the Dell connected at the same time.

Soldato
Between 120hz and 60, I see very little difference. It looks more to me like the overdrive is doing most of the work than the refresh rate. However, I just tried 100hz and that was quite considerably smoother than 120hz, which is odd. Could this be a Nvidia related driver problem?

I'm not using the Dell connected at the same time.

That is very strange indeed. As you would expect 100Hz shouldn't be smoother than 120Hz. It is almost as if setting it to 120Hz isn't actually... Setting it to 120Hz. Unfortunately I haven't tested a 120Hz monitor on an Nvidia GPU since the days of the Samsung 2233RZ so I'm not really sure what could be causing this but I think the graphics driver could indeed be the key culprit. Also does your GPU have multiple DVI outputs? If so try the other port.

Soldato
That is very strange indeed. As you would expect 100Hz shouldn't be smoother than 120Hz. It is almost as if setting it to 120Hz isn't actually... Setting it to 120Hz. Unfortunately I haven't tested a 120Hz monitor on an Nvidia GPU since the days of the Samsung 2233RZ so I'm not really sure what could be causing this but I think the graphics driver could indeed be the key culprit. Also does your GPU have multiple DVI outputs? If so try the other port.

Yeah it definitely sounds like it might be the driver. My 570 also does have have two DVI outputs, but because it detected 120hz I assumed it was the right output. I will try the other DVI port and do some more testing to make sure.

EDIT: Nope, still the same on both DVI connections. I'm really starting to think it might be the Nvidia 290.53 Beta driver I'm using. I will try reverting back to the older non-beta driver later to see if it makes any difference. Alternatively, I can also try my AMD 6870 which I had before my 570, to see whether it is something to do with my 570/Nvidia. Swapping the GPU over is a bigger job, so I think I will do that once I've ruled out the driver bit and properly prepared myself for it (the hassle of getting in the case and the chore of driver cleaning and installing).:p

Last edited:
Soldato
Westie - that first pic makes me cry @ the reflection of your very dark room with the blinds seeping light through at what must be dusk time and overpowering the brightness of the monitor :(

Back
Top Bottom