Beginner Z68AP-D3 guide for Intel i5 2500k

Associate
After lurking on this forum I thought I would give something back, and put these setting up to help beginners have a easy start in over clocking with the Gigabyte Z68AP-D3.

This is specifically for the Gigabyte Z68AP-D3). Its based on the setup overclockers sell their bundles with and was partly pulled from another thread (I would give credit if I could remember which one!):

I have highlighted the memory tweaks in blue, so don't worry about those till you have it running stable at 4.4Ghz. You should know the memory setting are based on 1600Mhz DDR3 RAM so don't bother tweaking the memory setting if you have 1333Mhz Ram installed.

To get into the bios screen press the "delete" key when the bios screen shows on restarting the computer.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
4Ghz set-up (should run on auto settings for most people)

M/B Intelligent Tweaker

Advanced Frequency Settings - type in 40 - press "enter"
Now press F10 and press "y" then enter.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
4.4 Ghz set-up

M/B Intelligent Tweaker

Advanced Frequency Settings - 44x
CPU Ratio - 44x
Advanced CPU Core Features - Press Enter
Internal CPU PLL Overvoltage - Enabled
Real Time Ratio Change in O/S - Enabled
Intel Turbo boost tech - Auto
Turbo power limit (watts) - set to 150
Core current limits (Amps) - set to 150
Intel Turbo boost tech - Disabled
Press Esc
System Memory Multiplier - 16.00
Press Esc

Advanced Memory Settings - Press Enter
Performance Enhance - Standard
set the next line down to quick
Channel A - Press Enter
9-9-9-28 - then command rate 2
Press Esc

Advanced Voltage Settings - Press Enter
Load-line Calibration - Enabled
Dynamic Vcore - +0.050v
Dram Voltage - 1560v

Now press F10 and press "y" then enter.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Associate
Wish this was posted when I was overclocking mine!

But surprisingly enough I have the same settings as the 4.4 clock, including vcore offset and everything, except I'm comfortably on 4.5ghz

Soldato
Which board rev and BIOS version have you got ? I'm waiting for delivery of my Z68AP-D3 and i5 2500k. It's delayed because they are struggling to get hold of the case I want.

Associate
Perfect. I've yet to try overclocking mine yet, just waiting for the cpu cooler to come this week. Though with only a 430W Corsair PSU, I'm a bit apprehensive.

Associate
got mine running sweet on this board at 4.3ghz just by setting the frequency to 43, didnt have to change anything else, but this will be helpful for me in the future, thanks.

on a side note iv been told my temps are a little high at 80's but im using a budget cooler, arctic freezer pro 7

Associate
OP
Which board rev and BIOS version have you got ? I'm waiting for delivery of my Z68AP-D3 and i5 2500k. It's delayed because they are struggling to get hold of the case I want.

Its a brand new board. Not sure about the bios version, I did not update it though. I can say this is using a D2 revision i5 2500k.

Using the 4 Ghz settings it will do 4.1ghz on my system, but at 4.2 ghz it becomes unstable running prime 95. The core voltage on the 4 Ghz settings was under 1.3v (I think 1.256v).

With the 4.4ghz settings it will run faster than 4.4 ghz so feel free to up the multiplier a bit. Mine will run stable at 4.5Ghz just by changing the multiplier to 45, I have not tried any higher. The vcore at 4.4Gz is 1.368v with the above settings (according to cpuz)

I have tried to share the basic settings, that will work on 90% of chips. Certainly overclockers think so, and offer a warranty based on these settings.

The big problem I had was none of the other overclocking walk through's told how to change the core current limit. Without changing it I could not go above 4ghz. The bios screen said the chip was running at 4.2 ghz for example, but when running under load cpuz told me it was only running with a x33 multiplier. This is because if the chip is running greater than it's Max TDP of 95W it reduces the multiplier irrespective of what you set in the bios. Unless of course you increase the max core current and turbo power limit. The annoying thing is it basically ignores the overclock, and does not tell you.

If you have overclocked your cpu, you might want to check your multiplier under load. If its not what you expect, then increase the core current limit and Turbo power limit.

I bet there is someone on here who thinks they are running at 5Ghz with a Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 and actually they are running at 3.3 Ghz.

Associate
I have this Mobo arriving next week with an i5 2500k.

In how many stages did you make the changes for the 4.4ghz set up?

Did you set to those limits then stress test or go up in increments?

Associate
OP
I have this Mobo arriving next week with an i5 2500k.

In how many stages did you make the changes for the 4.4ghz set up?

Did you set to those limits then stress test or go up in increments?

To be honest I set to 4Ghz as detailed. Then 4.2Ghz with the 4.4Ghz settings, then 4.4Ghz then 4.5Ghz. I am not really interested in breaking records, just getting a bit more power out of the i5.

Soldato
Really great guide thanks for posting this sieze2. I was thinking of getting this board ages ago but got my head swayed towards the asrock 4 gen 3 as it seemed more future proof. The annoying thing is this gigabyte board has pretty much everything i would need, im not interested in cross fire so i dont need 2 8x pcie slots, it supports 2 sata 6 gbps ports which will sort my 2 ssd's no problem :). As well as the good clocking of this board its pretty much amazing, it may not have the looks of others but performance and value for money is pretty amazing in my books.

Ahh decisions i dont know what to do! Asrock or gigabyte? Never owned neither always been asus!

Associate
I got the same board and will try overclocking but im going to be buying a new hard drive in april, do the overclock settings save in bios or would i have to do it again in a clean format?

Soldato
The overclock settings save in the bios so you have no need to worry when you get your new hdd. I just installed a new ssd with my PII OC had no issues what so ever :)

Associate
OP
Really great guide thanks for posting this sieze2. I was thinking of getting this board ages ago but got my head swayed towards the asrock 4 gen 3 as it seemed more future proof. The annoying thing is this gigabyte board has pretty much everything i would need, im not interested in cross fire so i dont need 2 8x pcie slots, it supports 2 sata 6 gbps ports which will sort my 2 ssd's no problem :). As well as the good clocking of this board its pretty much amazing, it may not have the looks of others but performance and value for money is pretty amazing in my books.

Ahh decisions i dont know what to do! Asrock or gigabyte? Never owned neither always been asus!

I agree its only £85 and does nearly everything a £140 board does. Assuming you can live without running crossfire, and don't need to get those last 200Mhz out of the CPU.

Associate
Firstly, good stuff, its about time us Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 owners get some insight. I have the same board only with a i7 2600K, which , from overclocking experience, works just like a 2500k, except with Hyper Threading.

Secondly, I have been through tons of sites getting in as much info as I can, and all credit to the owners of the respected articles. However I would like to personally thank Niel79 of this forum, made me understand the Gigabyte boards better.

Ok so back to the OP, importantly, please state the memory you are using. Its all good having "DDR3 1600mHz", but each manufacturers RAM have different timings etc.. In fact , RAM with XPM(extreme memory profiles) need hardly be tinkered with on this board to give you a stable overclock.. Im using GSkill Sniper 8GB DDR3 1600 1.5V...Timings were automatically set as manufacturers specifications;) .. I can even leave "PERFORMANCE ENHANCE" in the memory settings on "STANDARD" or "TURBO" and still be stable..QPI/VTT voltages of 1.050V(standard) to as high as 1.200V can definitely influence your stability RAM wise.

Also I like to manually control my MULTI-STEPS LOAD-LINE( LLC- Load Line Calibration). For those who do not know what LLC is, GOOGLE is your friend, although I would say, very loosely mind you, it makes sure your voltages are stable at whatever V you set. The range for each LLC (if you wondering) is :

Vcore in BIOS was set to 1.325 V

LLC disabled = 1.296v at Idle & 1.192v at Load

LLC Level 1 = 1.296v at Idle & 1.200v at Load

LLC Level 2 = 1.295v at Idle & 1.224v at Load

LLC Level 3 = 1.308v at Idle & 1.248v at Load

LLC Level 4 = 1.320v at Idle & 1.272v at Load

LLC Level 5 = 1.332v at Idle & 1.308v at Load

LLC Level 6 = 1.332v at Idle & 1.332v at Load

LLC Level 7 = 1.344v at Idle & 1.368v at Load

LLC Level 8 = 1.356v at Idle & 1.404v at Load

LLC level 9 = 1.368v at Idle & 1.404v at Load

LLC Level 10 = 1.368 at Idle & 1.415 at Load

So now to my settings .. I have a 2600K, GSkill Sniper 1.5V 1600mhz 8GB Ram , Corsair AX850 to power the beast and A Noctua D14 to handle the cooling. I use Intel Burn Test( IBT) with AVX instructions on Win 7 64bit SP1. I set IBT to maximum. IBT gives me a solid view of whether or not my system is stable. I usually do 10 runs. If it can pass IBT and Im happy with how voltages etc. are looking, only then will I proceed to Prime it. I also have had instances where the machine has been rock stable after testing on both IBT and Prime, and have actually BSOD 20-30 mins into games like BF3.

The figures in brackets are my figures and the ones out are the default bios figures..Credit for the set out to Niel79 ..I have just inserted correct figures

\MB - ( M.I.T )/
\Advanced Frequency Settings/

CPU CLOCK - 33X (34X on a 2600K)
BCLK - ( DISABLED ) left at default 100mhz
EXTREME MEMORY PROFILE XMP - ( PROFILE 1 )
SYSTEM MEMORY MULTI - ( AUTO )

\Advanced Cpu Core Features/

CPU CLOCK RATIO [33X]
INTERNAL CPU PLL OVERVOLT [ ENABLED ]
RATIO CHANGES IN OS [ DISABLED ]
INTEL BOOST TECH [ ENABLED ]
RATIO 1 - 4 [ 45 ]
TURBO POWER LIMIT [ 250-300 ]
CORE CURRENT [ 250-300 ]
CPU CORES ENABLED [ ALL ]
CPU ENHANCED HALT C1E [ AUTO ]
C3/C6 STATE SUPPORT [ AUTO ]
CPU THERMAL MONITOR [ DISABLED ]
BI-DIRECTIONAL PROCHOT [ AUTO ]

\Advanced Memory/

EXTREME MEMORY PROFILE X.M.P [ PROFILE 1 ]
SYSTEM MEMORY MULTI SPD [ AUTO ]
PERFORMANCE ENHANCE [ STANDARD ]
DRAM TIMING SELECT SPD [ AUTO ]
CHANNEL A - B [ AUTO ]

\Advanced Voltage Settings/
MULTI-STEPS LOAD-LINE [ LEVEL 6 ]
CPU VCORE [ 1.330V ] (START TESTING WITH PRIME 95/INTEL BURN TEST. IF ITS STABLE THEN LOWER THE VOLTS UNTIL, 1-2 CLICKS AT A TIME, UNTIL UNSTABLE TO FIND YOUR LOWEST STABLE VOLTAGE ) MINE WAS 1.280V

QPI/VTT VOLTAGE 1.050V [1.050v - 1.200v ] I FIND 1.2 IDEAL for MY PC
SYSTEM AGENT VOLTAGE 0.920V [ AUTO ]
DYNAMIC VCORE [ AUTO ]
GRAPHICS DVID [ AUTO ]
CPU PLL VOLTAGE 1.800V [1.700 - 1.800V ]
DRAM VOLTAGE 1.500V [ 1.500V ] ( LOWER OR HIGHER DEPENDING ON MEMORY REQUIREMENTS )
DRAM VREF 0.750V [ AUTO ]
DRAM TERMINATION 0.750V [ AUTO ]
CH-A/B ATA VREF 0.750V [ AUTO ]
CH-A/B ADDRESS VREF [ AUTO ]

\Misc Settings/

ISOCHRONOUS SUPPORT [ ENABLED ]
VIRTUALIZATION TECH [ ENABLED ]

\Advanced Bios Settings/

QUICK BOOT - [ DISABLED ]
BOOT LOGO - [ DISABLED ]

\Power Management/

HPET SUPPORT [ ENABLED ]
HPET MODE [ 64BIT ] - 64bit windows versions

\Pc Health/

CPU SMART FAN CONTROL [ DISABLED ]

THIS IS JUST TO ADD TO THE OP ORIGINAL POST AND I HOPE THIS BECOMES A PLACE FOR US GIGABYTE Z68AP D3 OWNERS TO DISCUSS OUR MACHINES.

Last edited:
Soldato
I flashed with the F7e BIOS (rev 1.0) last week to see if it did solve the boot up issue. Not cured it 100% as it did restart once when I switched it on the other day but so far it is a lot better.

Anyone tried EZ Smart Response ? It is utter pants. When I run it the splash screen stays on and nothing happens. Have reported it to Gigabyte but I see its not been updated.

Also anyone found a resonable priced SSD for the internal msata connector ? All the ones on the compatible list are either not available or £200-£300 quid. Would nice to use it but at the moment its pretty redundant and pointless. I did try a Toshiba ssd but the circuit board was too long to fit the gap, other components limit the length of the SSD you can use also.

THIS IS JUST TO ADD TO THE OP ORIGINAL POST AND I HOPE THIS BECOMES A PLACE FOR US GIGABYTE Z68AP D3 OWNERS TO DISCUSS OUR MACHINES.

If Z68AP-D3 ain't in your sig you ain't comin' in ?

:)

Quick tip for anyone not in the know, if you ever update your BIOS and want the backup BIOS to be the same version during bootup hold down Alt +F12 to synchronise the two bios to the same version.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom