• I have a mortgage

Votes: 192 44.7%
  • I own outright

Votes: 27 6.3%
  • I live with my parents

Votes: 72 16.7%

• Total voters
Soldato
Following on from this thread, I'm interested in the split of how many OcUK folks rent versus those who have a mortgage.

Could a passing mod please turn this into a poll please!
- I rent
- I have a mortgage/own my house

It would be useful if people said how old they are as well, as the older generation are more likely to own there own house.

I think most people would agree that house prices are expensive, but I'm not convinced they are as unaffordable as many people seem to think. I'm also aware that some people are renting because they want to rent, not because they can't afford to buy.

Personally I have just got a mortgage and I'm 25.

J.B

J.B

Soldato
24 and rent with my GF. Can't see us being able to afford one for a while but I dont mind renting too much really. It's nice and easy!

TMP

TMP

Associate
24 - rent

lolLondon = not much prospect of owning even though my rent is around 20% higher than mortgage repayments on similar property :)

Man of Honour
, but I'm not convinced they are as unaffordable as many people seem to think. .

They aren't, people just want to pick the area and the house. Its not meant to be like that and even parents generation it didn't happen like that. You save every penny and buy a hole in a hole. Then it's surprisingly affordable.

Still renting(28) as I keep spending money on stuff rather than saving. But loads off affordable houses about if I could just stop doing stuff and save for 12months.

Man of Honour
26 - Rent.

I could easily afford a mortgage but in a less desirable area. The deposit and fees required are, in my opinion, not worth the benefit right now.
I also need the flexibility that renting offers. If I need to move 6 months from now, the last thing I want to deal with is trying to sell a house.

There is no definitive answer to whether buying is better or worse than renting. It is entirely dependent on your personal circumstances, your finances, the area, the type of property, your future intentions and so on.

I look forward to buying my own house so that I'm able to do work to it and get it just how I want. The added security, knowing that I can stay there until I croak will also be welcome. I do envy some of my friends who got on the ladder as soon as they left school and who now own very nice houses. I don't envy those who are in £100k of negative equity.

Back
Top Bottom