GAME lose another supplier

Soldato
A ticking time bomb slowly, but surely counting down...

should have kept your prices competitive, too late now! Bye bye Game!

The day I never bought anything from Game ever again was when the manager of the local store refused to discount down a copy of Assassins Creed on the PS3 because it didnt have a manual or box. Basically just the disc, despite trying to haggle he said no, I said bye and went and ordered it on the internet for less anyway!

Last edited:
Associate
Not good for economy with all these companies collapsing. But to be fair GAME are one of the greediest companies out there when it comes to gaming sales, the fact everyone more or less undercuts them, even the rip off HMV which are awful as well I've seen many games in there far cheaper...

Soldato
So went in to Gamestation to sort my SF x Tekken fiasco. Felt really sorry for the staff =/ they looked really depressed and fed up. Apparently they've received orders not to be 'caught' talking about the titles they are not stocking, either amongst themselves or to customers.

Sad state of affairs :(

Soldato
So went in to Gamestation to sort my SF x Tekken fiasco. Felt really sorry for the staff =/ they looked really depressed and fed up. Apparently they've received orders not to be 'caught' talking about the titles they are not stocking, either amongst themselves or to customers.

So what will they say when someone strolls in asks what has happened?

Soldato
LOL I think the best one is MK, Game and Gamestation are opposite each other in the same row of say 10 shops - so is CEX!!! Considering how long GAME have had Gamestation you would expect at least some reduction in stores even with long-lived business leases, but the only stores Ive ever seen shut down are the old EB ones, to me that sounds like they were happy to keep 2 stores per town centre/shopping centre/location...

ps3ud0 :cool:

The MK one was a pain, EB used to be the one you are thinking of, that was an amazing store and when they did the "new bit" for GAME direct competition came up. Pretty much the golden age between the two as they both could be played off each other and I had an amazing rental service for my n64 when I saved up £50.

Game buying EB out but not ending one of the leases was silly there (though did help me round the age restrictions as there seemed to be only one manager between the two so rejected from buying mgs2 in one store got it sorted in the other) and buying gamestation opposite the old eb and not ending one or two of the leases in the city was MAD.

CEX only appeared recently taking over that old mountain shop (used to be a skate shop) so it's not as comparable but MK is the embarrassment of GAME as a company as so many shops in the city haven't been able to afford one lease for a store (or has downsized/gone for a rubbish spot) so having 3 still there is baffling!!

Soldato
the one in bargate is still there, not sure about the one in debenhams. But that still leaves 3, why?

edit: just checked online, bargate one is shut too :(

That Bargate Game has to be the worst shop placement in history, the bargate centre is a ghost town these days, if a newcomer walked in there and saw all the closed down shops they'd probably turn round and walk out, not even making it to the escalator or the one at the back of the mall to Game downstairs in the dungeons. When Ive been in that store, its the most dingy Game ever, I was the only person in there.

I dunno why but when I was in there it felt like I was shopping in a british seaside resort in winter time, no one around, yobs hanging around the play areas and everything closed, apart from this one Game store festering in the corner.

And now its closed too lol

Soldato
A ticking time bomb slowly, but surely counting down...

should have kept your prices competitive, too late now! Bye bye Game!

The day I never bought anything from Game ever again was when the manager of the local store refused to discount down a copy of Assassins Creed on the PS3 because it didnt have a manual or box. Basically just the disc, despite trying to haggle he said no, I said bye and went and ordered it on the internet for less anyway!

So he was selling it as new with no box and no manual?

isnt that kinda illegal? :D i remember dixons being accused of this practice

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...cused-of-selling-used-goods-as-new-again.html

Soldato
So he was selling it as new with no box and no manual?

isnt that kinda illegal? :D i remember dixons being accused of this practice

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...cused-of-selling-used-goods-as-new-again.html

In fairness, it was a used copy not brand new. But, it was priced £15, the same price as other 2nd hand Ass. Creeds in the store even though it had nothing but the disc.

I noticed it cos it was with all the other Ass Creed's on the shelf but in a coverless box with a hand written label with the title and price. I enquired about it and they confirmed it was just the disc, I said I'll take it if you discount it down as its lacking the box/disc, the manager came over and said no. I asked him how he can sell the item at the same price as the other boxed/manual ones and he said I would still get the same value if I ever traded it in. Thats utter BS!

Jog on! Ive never bought anything from Game since.

Last edited:
Soldato
Associate
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-07-publisher-paradox-game-was-a-bully-this-is-karma

"GAME has basically been bullying people around and now it comes back to bite them on the ass," he said.

"It's been abusing their situation in the UK for a long time but it always comes back to you."

"Look at EA and Nintendo," Wester added, "they're not even willing to help. They will take the hit just to get rid of GAME and start over."

I just read that, seems rather damning regarding the company and it's previous business tactics.

Associate

Same in ours. We visited Gamestation after the gym yesterday, about 2 members of staff on when normally you see about 4 working. No one in the shop besides two idiots who bought a game for £40 when it's online for £30. We then checked in GAME, 3 people working, normally 8 in that store.

They looked really ****ed. What's even worse is that both stores were advertising the games for pre-order that they ain't getting. We saw:

Street Fighter x Tekken
Raccoon City
Mass Effect 3
Ghost Recon

Plus other titles from EA and Ubisoft on availability for pre-order.

Soldato
even worse is that both stores were advertising the games for pre-order that they ain't getting. We saw:

Street Fighter x Tekken
Raccoon City
Mass Effect 3
Ghost Recon

Plus other titles from EA and Ubisoft on availability for pre-order.

Well if they take pre-orders they cant give, you get money back you can only spend in their stores. You cant really buy much for £5 so... money earnt for them most likely.

Back
Top Bottom