Running for Charity

Soldato
Have any of you run/Are any of you planning to run for charity?

It's something I'd like to try.

I think I could get myself fit enough to run a 5k this summer. I'd like to do it for a charitable organisation but I'm not sure which one yet.

Are there any major 5k events taking place in/near London this summer? I think the bigger the race, the more likely people are to have heard of it and, hopefully, the more willing they will be to sponsor me.

Associate
The problem you might find is, that people will only sponsor you if you are doing something where you have to put a lot of effort and training in as well as it being something that the majority of people couldn't do i.e. a marathon.

If you want to practice though, there should be a parkrun.com near you :)

Permabanned
Have any of you run/Are any of you planning to run for charity?

It's something I'd like to try.

I think I could get myself fit enough to run a 5k this summer. I'd like to do it for a charitable organisation but I'm not sure which one yet.

Are there any major 5k events taking place in/near London this summer? I think the bigger the race, the more likely people are to have heard of it and, hopefully, the more willing they will be to sponsor me.

I would never sponser someone to do a 5K.

A 10k maybe but then it would have to be someone that hasn't ran before, has trained enough to be able to actually run and be a cause I believe in as well.

A half marathon or a marathon on the other hand I would sponser someone for as I understand the training and pain you go through to achieve running these distances, in particular the marathon.

Soldato
OP
I was thinking about a 5k because it's definitely doable. I'm not sure about a marathon though. Perhaps it's something I should look into. How do you even begin to train for something like that?

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
The majority of people can't run 5k though. Most people I know can hardly run up a flight of stairs :D

Yes, I've run for charity. Be careful getting roped into too much charity stuff because it gets difficult to then raise funds for a major event. You'll get fun run fever and you'll want to push what you can do! If you can't run at all at the moment then 5k is a sensible distance by the summer. You'll be easing yourself into that distance which will minimise your risk of an injury.

There are quite a few runs in the back of Runners World and there are usually lots of good tips for beginners in the mag :)

Permabanned
The majority of people can't run 5k though. Most people I know can hardly run up a flight of stairs :D

Yes, I've run for charity. Be careful getting roped into too much charity stuff because it gets difficult to then raise funds for a major event. You'll get fun run fever and you'll want to push what you can do! If you can't run at all at the moment then 5k is a sensible distance by the summer. You'll be easing yourself into that distance which will minimise your risk of an injury.

There are quite a few runs in the back of Runners World and there are usually lots of good tips for beginners in the mag :)

I guess that is true to be honest. Didn't mean to sound like an **** by the way. :)

I was thinking about a 5k because it's definitely doable. I'm not sure about a marathon though. Perhaps it's something I should look into. How do you even begin to train for something like that?

In terms of the training for it it was just a case of building up over a long period of time and I'd been running for a good year (on and off) before hand anyway.

For yourself and the 5K It's a case of run as far as you feel comfortable, then walk and then run again. Aiming to cover 2/3K the first few times maybe building up to 5K. Then what you want to do is gradually increase so that you can run (if thats the aim) the whole distance.

And remember, if things arn't going well or your feeling really uncomfortable there really is no shame in walking at all.

Take it easy and good luck. :D

Last edited:
Permabanned
Also not sure where your based but if you have a Sweatshop near by then look into this as well.

I'm based in Manchester and my local store has there runs on a Tuesday (not been in long after a session tonight) and we do a 5K / 4-5 Mile / 8-10 Mile route and every other week there is a hill session as well. Good community as well and runners of all different abilities to run with as well. Definately makes training more bearable those times you can't be bothered. :p

Here's a link to it:

http://www.sweatshop.co.uk/community.cfm

Soldato
Other than the Sport Relief Mile or the Tesco Race for Life (ladies only), I can't think of many (any?) races / events which are under 10k. I'm happy to be corrected though :D

Associate
I did a 7km assault course for charity on Saturday. It was a lot of hard work given that I can only run about 4km on a treadmill.

Soldato
A friend of mine has cancer. He's 18 :(

We're running for the Royal Marsden cancer charity, for the brilliant care that they've taken of him.

The whole school is doing it. We've got a 4 week period in which to run our target number of miles. My personal target is 80 miles in 4 weeks ( Doesn't sound too bad butI'm definitely not built for cross country so this will be tough for me!). Currently on 41 miles with 2 weeks left, been running 5/6 times a week.

Currently over 3k has been raised through donations, which is an unbelievable sum of money for a brilliant cause.

Last edited:
Permabanned
A friend of mine has cancer. He's 18 :(

We're running for the Royal Marsden cancer charity, for the brilliant care that they've taken of him.

The whole school is doing it. We've got a 4 week period in which to run our target number of miles. My personal target is 80 miles in 4 weeks ( Doesn't sound too bad butI'm definitely not built for cross country so this will be tough for me!). Currently on 41 miles with 2 weeks left, been running 5/6 times a week.

Currently over 3k has been raised through donations, which is an unbelievable sum of money for a brilliant cause.

I don't suppose you have a JustGiving page for this mate? If so then post it here or email me and I'll donate.

My cousin passed away with cancer late last year and the work they do at any hospice is incredible. Well worth giving money too.

Good luck. :)

Soldato
I don't suppose you have a JustGiving page for this mate? If so then post it here or email me and I'll donate.

My cousin passed away with cancer late last year and the work they do at any hospice is incredible. Well worth giving money too.

Good luck. :)

Wow, that's really generous of you. Thanks a lot buddy, it means so much to me :)

http://www.justgiving.com/grecianseast

Permabanned
no one does charity 5km's you need a marathon to raise the big charity money or maybe a half, start training you will love it

Soldato
OP
no one does charity 5km's you need a marathon to raise the big charity money or maybe a half, start training you will love it

I understand where you're coming from but I think a marathon might be a bit too ambitious.

I take it you've run a marathon? Did you follow a specific training regime? If so, what would you recommend for someone who wants to go from running for the bus to running a marathon?

Permabanned
I understand where you're coming from but I think a marathon might be a bit too ambitious.

I take it you've run a marathon? Did you follow a specific training regime? If so, what would you recommend for someone who wants to go from running for the bus to running a marathon?

If all you can do at the moment is run for the bus then if your wanting to run in summer your better off training for a 5/10K. If you enjoy it and want to carry on with the running then next year I'd be looking at a half marathon or marathon then.

It's a case of building it up and commiting to running the miles.

Have a read of some of the articles on this link below.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/beginners/1.html

Just to mention my above post again as well, do you have a local Sweatshop?

Soldato

What sort of distance can you run at the moment?

When I started running 2 weeks ago, I hadn't done exercise in a few weeks. 2 miles (3.2k) was a struggle for me. Now, I can just about 4 miles in a single session (6.4k). That's just through 2 weeks progress, you may see some similar progress if you're able to run 5 times a week.

Back
Top Bottom