*Mass Effect 3 Singleplayer Thread* (may contain spoilers)

Associate
Well the reviews are out and they're pretty exceptional.
I know there's not much stock to be taken in most review sites these days but it's encouraging that the first impressions suggest Bioware haven't completely ruined the end of the trilogy.

Shamelessly stolen from CVG:

PC Gamer: 9/10 - Even if the end destination of this final chapter isn't quite as magnificent as we hoped for, we'll never regret the hundred-hour, three-game journey we took across the galaxy to get there. Mass Effect 3 is an incredible experience that rewards you for those years of investment and devotion to its stratospheric tale.

PC Gamer: 93/100 - A culmination of all the choice, character and intrigue of Mass Effect. A satisfying end to a spectacular adventure.

The Verge: 10/10 - When the credits rolled, I felt finished. Mass Effect 3 is the culmination of an unprecedented experiment in game narrative, and in the best possible way, I'm glad to have seen it through, and to see it done.

Eurogamer: 10/10 - As with any game that dares to be ambitious, deconstruct Mass Effect 3 into its constituent parts and of course there are flaws, but taken as a whole this is arguably the first truly modern blockbuster, a game that transcends the genre boundaries of old and takes what it needs from across the gaming spectrum in order to finish its story in the most compelling, thrilling, heartbreaking way possible. Few gaming sagas come to a definitive close, but this one signs off in breathtaking style.

Planet Xbox 360: 10/10 - When the credits finally rolled we we're quite-sad to see this trilogy come to an end, but with the next-gen console cycle on the horizon we're more than a little excited to see where Bioware will take Mass Effect next. Whether you've been holding your breath since finishing Mass Effect 2 or just now looking to jump into a story-driven video game, Mass Effect 3 provides something for everyone from the single-player to co-op, it's just that ******* good.

IncGamers: 9/10 - An exhilarating, touching and engaging finale for Shepard and co. This generation's best sci-fi RPG series just got better.

G4: 5/5 - Mass Effect 3 rounds out its epic space opera with innumerous moments of restrained maturity, bringing about a conclusion that satisfies better than anything, not just in games, but in any pop medium.

VideoGamer: 8/10 - There is, in short, a hell of a lot of game here, and at a time when free social and smartphone games have analysts wondering aloud whether full-priced retail games can cut the mustard, here is a package that represents exceptional value. There's little here to convert non-believers, but then this game is not for them. This is one for the fans, and few who buy it will be left unsatisfied by how the story - their story - ends.

EGM Now: 9.0 - Mass Effect's brilliant story remains intact, and if you played the previous two games, the payoff's more than satisfying. Some cover and combat issues remain unsolved, though, and the idea of participation in a completely separate multiplayer mode potentially influencing your single-player ending is mind-boggling.

GameSpot: 9.0 - Mass Effect 3 is a remarkably satisfying conclusion to a beloved trilogy, and a poignant and memorable role-playing action game in its own right.

Kotaku: No Score - Mass Effect 3 is definitively the conclusion of that story, and with every moment I laughed aloud, with every moment I sobbed, and with every moment I shouted extremely unprintable words I knew that it was worth the wait.

GamerZines: 98% - BioWare truly has excelled itself. Like its hero, Mass Effect 3 is a thing of legend and, simply put, one of the greatest games ever made.

IGN: 9.5 - All told, Mass Effect 3 is an absolutely amazing game, one that successfully puts a bow on the Mass Effect trilogy while still leaving us hungry for even more. It looks and plays great, but Mass Effect 3's true strength lies in its ability to tell a deeply-woven story. Better yet, the sheer ambition shown by BioWare in announcing an intersecting trilogy complete with save importation becomes fully realized in Mass Effect 3. BioWare deserves applause for not only having the courage to attempt something like the Mass Effect trilogy, but for pulling it off with such exceptional poise and skill. Mass Effect 3 isn't the best game ever made. But it'll certainly be in the conversation for a very long time to come.

The Guardian: 5/5 - More than ever, the Mass effect universe pulls off the masterful trick of feeling huge and yet believable - the game's production values are through the roof, and its third-person shooter controls incredibly precise, responsive and accurate given Mass Effect's immense scope. It really does feel like a TV sci-fi series in which you play the central character - which highlights the current absence of significant sci-fi series from our TV screens.

GiantBomb: 4/5 - It's not the best game in the trilogy, but I'd still take a decent Mass Effect game over most story-driven releases.

Please let my copy arrive soon, it's like being an 8 year old on Christmas Eve again!!

Last edited:
Soldato
Play have been processing my order for 2 days! Im more annoyed that it sgetting held ransom from me till my birthday on the 12th! The wait is too long lol

Permabanned
Play have been processing my order for 2 days! Im more annoyed that it sgetting held ransom from me till my birthday on the 12th! The wait is too long lol

EA won't let retailers dispatch until wednesday its part of the agreement to supply them the game

Soldato
Chosen not to play the demo or read reviews lol.

Received an email from Zavviiiiiiii to say my copy had been sent out today. This game is going to get raped this weekend!

Soldato
I just bought the DLC despite not having the game yet. :D

Great, I guess we can expect more developers to do this in future then.

Edit: Incidentally, has it been said definitively one way or the other whether this DLC is actual quite an important part of the core game, or is it being blown out of proportion? If it's something that should be there to begin with, I'm going to cancel my pre-order and I'll buy the game pre-owned instead; I'm not paying them twice.

Last edited:
Associate
I just bought the DLC despite not having the game yet. :D

I bought some points at the weekend for exactly this :D

And before the outrage brigade jump on me, the Mass Effect series is my all time favourite franchise, I've played through ME1 and 2 countless times and they have given me 100s of hours of entertainment so I will happily give Bioware an extra £6-ish for the launch DLC; other games I won't and haven't bothered.

Caporegime
OP
Edit: Incidentally, has it been said definitively one way or the other whether this DLC is actual quite an important part of the core game, or is it being blown out of proportion? If it's something that should be there to begin with, I'm going to cancel my pre-order and I'll buy the game pre-owned instead; I'm not paying them twice.

I doubt it's an important part of the core game. It'll probably be the same as the Zaeed/Kasumi DLC in Mass Effect 2. Not critical but useful.

Associate
I doubt it's an important part of the core game. It'll probably be the same as the Zaeed/Kasumi DLC in Mass Effect 2. Not critical but useful.

Basicly true useful but if your intrested in the lore you will probably want it but it is steep for effectively a 40 min mission 1 team mate. about 10 minutes were cutscenes and conversation :(

Last edited:
Associate
Im in two minds of buying this? I've never played any of the mass effects.... I like rpg's such as skyrim and like shooters etc.

Suppose the reviews give it top marks so it would be worth it.

Soldato
Basicly true useful but if your intrested in the lore you will probably want it but it is steep for effectively a 40 min mission 1 team mate. about 10 minutes were cutscenes and conversation :(

Don't think I'll bother then.

I would start with the first one tbh. If its not your thing you saved money, if it is you have loads of excitement ahead!

Yeah, there's really no point starting with the third one.

Back
Top Bottom