Bye Bye Game!

Caporegime
The chain that 99% of the time is the most expensive on the high street? This is what I dont get, I hear the same washed out argument about less competition, but they never were competing anyway and used their power as the biggest chain to ensure that both to consumers and to distributors/publishers.

Granted no doubt someone will take their place but to vaguely think it will make the high street more uncompetitive or more expensive, well GAME already did that for you, so whats new?

ps3ud0 :cool:

Associate
Agreed.

Even if you don't shop at Game, to shrug it off as nothing is silly, we all loose. Competition in the marketplace is always important for the consumer, to loose the UK's biggest high-street game retailer wouldn't be doing us any favours.

Tbh, where I live anyway GAME prices are stupid, everything is at 49.99 or 39.99. Rarely get anything less unless it's pre-owned or whatever. I've never bought from game in years as to put straight they suck.

I stick with internet, and even eliminating competition and prices did happen to go up I can't see them being any worse then GAME's prices.

Associate
I feel sorry for the folks working on the shop floor not the inept management .

I have had good friendly service in my local Game store, for trade ins etc in some areas they are not the cheapest on the high street at all.

Dont think the supermarkets have helped at all undercutting high street prices, using them as a loss leader to get people into their stores, you can bet your bottom dollar that if the only video game retailer left on the major high streets is hmv the supermarkets will shove the prices up of the games that they will be selling in the future, it happened with blu-ray films in my area.

So we all lose out in the long run :(

Cheers

Soldato
I'm well aware that their prices are high, but the reality is that largely that's in comparison to online retailers. As I've said time and again, just because many of us on these forums buy our games online, we are not the majority.

Their only real competition at high-street level are Supermarkets who really sell games as a matter of convenience in that you are already in the store, with everything in one place. They don't tend to offer most games at a better price point than Game.

When the Supermarkets have run good deals on games, backed up by advertising, they are deliberately targeting the Gamer demographic to get them through the doors. If Game went, do you really think they would need to bother running promotions like that so much?

Also what's not to say that if games start to disappear from the High-Street shops, leaving people no choice to buy online, that online prices may start to creep up.

Soldato
Also what's not to say that if games start to disappear from the High-Street shops, leaving people no choice to buy online, that online prices may start to creep up.

Won't happen. Loads of online competition they couldn't afford to be most expensive.

Caporegime
I'm well aware that their prices are high, but the reality is that largely that's in comparison to online retailers. As I've said time and again, just because many of us on these forums buy our games online, we are not the majority.

Their only real competition at high-street level are Supermarkets who really sell games as a matter of convenience in that you are already in the store, with everything in one place. They don't tend to offer most games at a better price point than Game.

When the Supermarkets have run good deals on games, backed up by advertising, they are deliberately targeting the Gamer demographic to get them through the doors. If Game went, do you really think they would need to bother running promotions like that so much?

Think youre deluding yourself - they are as expensive, if not the most expensive against the high street/supermarket before you even consider online pricing.

Remind me as a comparison the pricing of the games @ GAME that Supermarkets used as loss leaders to increase footfall, were they even close? As this is obviously a shop that solely deals with gaming, you would assume they were be leading such game sales - have they been consistently? And if they havent, why have Supermarkets been doing such loss leaders anyway, is it actually anything to do with GAME in reality or more to do with Supermarket price wars?

I dont disagree with the argument that that prices may remain high or go higher (well the standard deviation may skew higher) after GAME goes, but to infer that because of GAME they remain as 'cheap' as they are is downright silly; and to then attempt to defend their practises in duping people that cant/wont/dont know about online shopping amazes me.

If someone goes to GAME and buys a new release at £42.99, they still be able to buy that new release at £42.99 at another physical location once GAME have gone, unless you now want to suggest publishers will increase RRP based on GAME going so normal editions of games can be over £45, just because GAME dont exist anymore...

GAME the peoples champion at ripping novice gamers off - bravo (slow hand clap)...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Last edited:
Permabanned
Always feel dirty having to buy a game at full whack in there, usually because the sister gets me a 30 note voucher for xmas or something, so im forced into handing over some cash in the deal :(

Associate
Anyone who thinks Game/GS going out of business is good for the general consumer has no understanding of basic economics. Yes Game usually sold titles at close to RRP, but they were the high street #1, and that forced other bricks and mortar stores into discounting.

When GAME close you can be damn sure, Tesco/Asda/Morrisons/HMV will start selling at RRP. you'll still be able to find bargains at online retailers, but that means waiting at least a day for delivery........

Soldato
its not good they are going under but it really does seem like they deserved it.. lets be honest the prices are MENTAL and people are clearly finding things cheaper online etc so it was just a waiting game

Soldato
Anyone who thinks Game/GS going out of business is good for the general consumer has no understanding of basic economics. Yes Game usually sold titles at close to RRP, but they were the high street #1, and that forced other bricks and mortar stores into discounting.

When GAME close you can be damn sure, Tesco/Asda/Morrisons/HMV will start selling at RRP. you'll still be able to find bargains at online retailers, but that means waiting at least a day for delivery........

tbh with the pricing at my local tescos. i may as well have just got them from Game.

Caporegime
Wow. Sad news i was in game yesterday and the staff were so helpful and pleasent, and in their mid 30's i imagine it would be quite a blow.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's a pretty significant amount of employees as well.

Given the short notice and market conditions, I can't really see a buyer stepping in.

Soldato
Shares are down to 3.5p now.

They have 2 weeks before the quarterly rent bill will hit them. They don't have the money to pay that. They are actively looking for buyers now. Otherwise in 2 weeks time they WILL go into administration.

If you have any vouchers/store credit, I would get it spent now. Once they go into administration, they become worthless. You will be last on the list of creditors to be considered.

Back
Top Bottom