• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ATI 5870 Crossfire or 7970

Soldato
Hi all is it best to stay with my 5870 crossfire setup or sell them for 1 single 7970 GPU.
I'm quite sure you CPU is bottlenecking your CF5870 as it is (as in you are not getting full use out of them with the GPU usages not hitting close to 100%). If you are not having problem with your CF5870 (drivers or micro-shuttering), I would say you best sticking with it...and most definitely try to overclock your 1090T to 4.0-4.2GHz.

Associate
Actually I'd say it's the perfect time to sell a 5870 or two as they're still pretty popular with Bitcoin miners. If you're looking to overclock the 7970 it's a no brainer - pick one with a good cooler or go for the Arctic Cooling HSF and don't look back. That or wait for news of Nvidia's card in a couple of weeks and see what it may offer.

Crossfire and SLI setups take a lot of tweaking if you can easily notice microstutter. To be frank, I much preferred the hassle free gaming experience on my 5870 compared to my crossfired 6950s. While the performance is great and I've eliminated all traces of microstutter, the added heat, noise and time it takes to get it to this stage is pretty tiresome, and despite a custom fan profile and a frame limiter the damn things get very loud in some games.

If single GPU is an option for the performance you want, always go for it. I had to go for a crossfire setup at the time because I'm gaming at more than 1080p, but had I been able to wait I would have bought a 7970 on release, no question.

Associate
I sold mine (ASUS 5870 and Saphire 5870 x-fire setup) and drove down to OCUK to get a 7970 a few weeks ago.... came back with two 7950's but thats another story :p

Back
Top Bottom