• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ivy Bridge Preview on Anandtech.

Soldato
I don't give a crap how many cores a chip has it's what it outputs that counts (see Bulldozer). I'm pretty much set on an Ivy Bridge system, I'm just waiting to see how well these chips overclock and if there hitting 5Ghz with relative ease then my Q6700 is reduced to HTPC duty.

Soldato
Going from an i7 920 to the 970 I just got from the members market will more than likely see me through to Skylake, the thing is a beast, especially at 4ghz :D

I think it was a much better upgrade than going IVYbridge (and a darned sight cheaper)

Soldato
So, looking at these previews, IB is really all about the oem laptop market. Meh. We'll have to hang about and see how they overclock I guess.

Caporegime
Soldato
That would suck if true.... hopefully it is something that will either be fixed or is something to do with engineering samples.

If these can only be pushed to around 5GHz with most coolers due to temps, then they will be no better than Sandy for me, and may just get a 2700K instead (depending on price diff)

Soldato
The explanation makes sense though. Firstly,the IB Core i7 is around 160MM2 in size:

http://www.techpowerup.com/161007/Ivy-Bridge-Die-Layout-Estimated.html

An SB Core i7 is around 216MM2. However,in IB the GPU takes up even a larger percentage of the CPU die now,so the CPU section is taking up less surface area than SB. Of course there are other factors which need to be taken into consideration too.

Associate
Being able to overclock to 5GHz on air is really the only reason I am looking at getting IB, if overclocking is worse than SB then these chips will be a massive waste of time for me so I hope that report about temps is untrue ..

Back
Top Bottom