• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrading from ati 4870.

Associate
Based on what we now know about the gtx 680 I would like some advice from the good folks here.

I recently got myself a i5 2500k, asus p8z86-v/gen3, 8gb ripjawzx. However, I'm still running my trusty ati 4870. I have a 750w antec truepower psu.

I mainly play world of warcraft and soon, diablo 3(woot) and some battlefield 3 online.

I game at 1650x1050 and was wondering which card you guys would go for?

Money isn't really an issue, however I am not sure if I will get the full potential from a gtx680 running at the resolution above.

Associate
Well theres the 6870, 560ti, 560ti 448, 6950, 6970, 570. Minus the 6870 and the 570 the rest should be 2GB versions. At your res I would not wastes the money on a top-end GPU to be honest. And if your using a 4870 all the above would make a significant improvement.

Edit:

From the list above I would go for the 560ti 448, 6950 or the 570.
I forgot about the 7850 which would be worth a look.

Last edited:
Associate
I would with looking the rest of your rig, upgrade that monitor! As said above any newish video card will be wasted on it! With something like this
Then I would look for a decent card to drive it! 6970, 7900 series GTX500 and 600 series cards.
Just my 2 cents, Happy gaming!

Jon.

Associate
Why do you want to upgrade? Im still using my 4870 at 1900x1080 and have no performence issues running any games at max settings (still after so many years!). ME3 is the latest game i run at max settings, very smooth still.

The only reason i would upgrade is for power consumtion reasons, 4870 uses lots of power compared to equivelent cards with same horse power(7770?).

Maybe upgrade for DX11, thats ment to have a good influence on WOW fps, but im sure your current card runs that fine anyways.

Edit
Maybe upgrading the monitor would be better option.

Associate
OP
I would with looking the rest of your rig, upgrade that monitor! As said above any newish video card will be wasted on it! With something like this
Then looking for a decent card to drive it!
Just my 2 cents,

Jon.

I was thinking about this actually, as I wouldn't mind a bigger screen and a higher resolution.

However my Samsung t220 is still a really nice monitor and upgrading it + getting a high end gpu would hit the wallet a bit too hard at the moment.

Associate
OP
Why do you want to upgrade? Im still using my 4870 at 1900x1080 and have no performence issues running any games at max settings (still after so many years!). ME3 is the latest game i run at max settings, very smooth still.

Well I cant run wow on ultra settings while raiding or I get a lot of slowdown and I'm thinking I will get the same slowdown in Diablo 3.

Not to mention battlefield 3, I get like 30 fps in MP, with it sometimes dipping below 20 fps which kills the experience.

And a new question:

Would you go for a http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-129-MS

Or wait till the prices come down on these: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-296-SP&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=411

Associate
Heres the bench Figures. At stock the 570 holds its own very well in the performance department. If you intend to overclock then I believe the 7870 is the better GPU by a good margin. If power consumption is a concern then the 7870 is a clear winner. If you intend to upgrade your monitor to a higher res then you have to buy with that in-mind.

Back
Top Bottom