• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Did NVIDIA Originally Intend to Call GTX 680 as GTX 670 Ti?

Permabanned
GK 104 384 bit should have been the GTX 680
GK104 256 bit would have been the GTX 670 Ti

They didnt need a seperate GPU yet, all the pre release leaked information shows strong indication that GK104 was being developed with capability up to 384 bit, with a large variation of parts to cover high to mid range.

Soldato
Oh. As for right now? don't expect Nvidia to do anything (including lowering prices) until AMD does. IE - if AMD can't come back with something that conclusively beats the 680 then Nvidia will simply do what they did with the 580.

Sit tight and listen to the till bells ring.

So, sense says that before you go to bed tonight say your prayers, or this could be a horrible year for GPUs. Hope and pray that AMD come back with something, driving the prices down to more sensible levels.

Associate
At the end of the day it's not important what it was meant to be, but what it is/is not and what it is not just like the 7970 is a card worth the price unless you absolutely have to have the best top end card. The consumer is the loser in this because AMD failed to deliver allowing NV to do this.

Soldato
GK 104 384 bit should have been the GTX 680
GK104 256 bit would have been the GTX 670 Ti

They didnt need a seperate GPU yet, all the pre release leaked information shows strong indication that GK104 was being developed with capability up to 384 bit, with a large variation of parts to cover high to mid range.

Where are you getting this 384 bit bus. If its from that chart come back here after looking at the specs of the card released and the specs from that chart.

The chart without looking has the gk104 at the same spec as a gtx580 with 50% more cuda cores. Basically its made up and nothing like reality. Remember back when the 2900xt came with a 512 bit ringbus with loads of bandwidth. Amd went back to 256 bit bus for all these years so it matters little that nvidia done so as the card is still really fast.

Soldato
At the end of the day it's not important what it was meant to be, but what it is/is not and what it is not just like the 7970 is a card worth the price unless you absolutely have to have the best top end card. The consumer is the loser in this because AMD failed to deliver allowing NV to do this.

We don't know for sure what AMD did.

Did they fail?

Did they do just enough to have a clear obvious lead over the 580 and then hold back waiting to see how Nvidia respond?

Is Southern Islands capable of going on to remain at the top?

We will find it all out soon enough. AMD were already rumouring a new card called Tenerife. Whether or not that was for real and whether or not they have been quietly waiting in the wings to see what Nvidia did will become clear soon enough.

Permabanned
Plenty more charts and information were posted over the last few months then just the techpowerup one, thats the only one thats easy to locate.

Here are a couple of others:

Kepler.jpg

11410164f496z99s4mgdgg.jpg

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
Hi there

I've had access to roadmaps for sometime and have access to the latest.

GTX 680 was intended for March/April, it is now here. Fact is NVIDIA were always intending to release GTX 680 class card now, yes the spec may have changed but this has always being scheduled launch for their top-end GTX 680 product.

Cards that will come next shall be 670Ti and 670, expect them around May time, maybe end of April, these shall both be slower than GTX 680 obviously.

GTX 680 2GB, aimed at 7970.
GTX 670ti replaces GTX 580 and shall also be 2GB at £320ish range, it will take on 7950 3GB.
GTX 670 replaces GTX 570 and no doubt 2GB also, expect £239.99 and well slightly faster than GTX 570.

GTX 560Ti and 560 are not due to be replaced until much later in the year.

All low-end, 520/550 etc. shall be re-branded into 6xx series, same cards just re-boxed as 6 series with slightly bumped clock speeds.

A dual GPU based card could and can be released when NVIDIA desire to do so, most likely called GTX 690.

Again GTX 680 is flagged on the roadmap as fastest single GPU card, will a faster single GPU card come this year. Well I guess that depends if NVIDIA feel they need one and if they do I suspect October-December timeframe.

What we can expect in April/May is AIB's making much faster and higher TDP varients of GTX 680.

Don't be surprised to see cards like EVGA GTX 680 Superclocked 4096MB soon with twice memory and higher clock speeds for £500-£600 region. ;)

Soldato
Then if that's true Gibbo I am unimpressed by Kepler.

After taking the time to sit down and completely read Tom Logan's review and look over the benchmarks I see the 680 losing in too many things to be classed as the better card.

As for £500-£600 4gb cards? I lol.

The truth is (after all of the wet filth and bravado) that the 680 is basically dead level with the 7970, only it has less vram.

So making one that costs £500-£600 is ridiculous.

Associate
Then if that's true Gibbo I am unimpressed by Kepler.

After taking the time to sit down and completely read Tom Logan's review and look over the benchmarks I see the 680 losing in too many things to be classed as the better card.

As for £500-£600 4gb cards? I lol.

The truth is (after all of the wet filth and bravado) that the 680 is basically dead level with the 7970, only it has less vram.

So making one that costs £500-£600 is ridiculous.

Yep, if thats true it is £200 more than 7970 is now for the extra ram, if AMD do drop the prices, it will make it foolish to go green surely?

OcUK Staff
Yep, if thats true it is £200 more than 7970 is now for the extra ram, if AMD do drop the prices, it will make it foolish to go green surely?

But then NV would have to drop price, so we all win.

Fact is a 2GB GTX 680 starts at £400. A 4GB card will be £100 more. An overclocked 4GB card even more.

So lets hope AMD react as a price war between NV and AMD is good for business as it makes the consumer buy. :)

Though I suspect the UK alone probably sold nearly 1000 cards today which is damn impressive. :)

Soldato

To be honest Dan any one with any brains whatsoever can see that there really is nothing in it.

Many times today people have made bold statements. Ones that say that the 680 is faster.

However, when we go to a review where they are both overclocked highly the 7970 wins in too many things for any one to be able to say the 680 is faster.

Dirt 3
Metro 2033
Mafia II
Heaven

And so on. If a card loses as many things as it wins it is not faster. It is simply the same as the other card in terms of performance.

What we are seeing (unbeknown to the people writing the reviews) are unfair reviews. What they seem to have trouble accepting is that as soon as you plug a 680 into your computer and install the drivers it automatically starts overclocking itself.

If it was locked to its stock default mhz (1004 or whatever) and put against a 925mhz 7970 the results would be as they are when both are overclocked. IE - they are absolutely dead level and it is impossible to separate them.

I would strongly imagine that THAT is why Nvidia called for a price drop to $499 at the last minute. I guess nerves got the better of them and they realised that people who would buy the cards would figure it out soon enough.

It's not like Nvidia to charge the same price as AMD for the same performance as we know, especially at release.

£450 for a card (the 480) that again could not conclusively beat the 5870 in EVERYTHING. Let alone losing as much as it won.

Associate
But then NV would have to drop price, so we all win.

Fact is a 2GB GTX 680 starts at £400. A 4GB card will be £100 more. An overclocked 4GB card even more.

So lets hope AMD react as a price war between NV and AMD is good for business as it makes the consumer buy. :)

+1

I cant bring myself to spend 400+ Cleggs on either ATM, just not worth it (for me), 300, maybe a different story lol

Soldato
Hi there

I've had access to roadmaps for sometime and have access to the latest.

GTX 680 was intended for March/April, it is now here. Fact is NVIDIA were always intending to release GTX 680 class card now, yes the spec may have changed but this has always being scheduled launch for their top-end GTX 680 product.

Cards that will come next shall be 670Ti and 670, expect them around May time, maybe end of April, these shall both be slower than GTX 680 obviously.

GTX 680 2GB, aimed at 7970.
GTX 670ti replaces GTX 580 and shall also be 2GB at £320ish range, it will take on 7950 3GB.
GTX 670 replaces GTX 570 and no doubt 2GB also, expect £239.99 and well slightly faster than GTX 570.

GTX 560Ti and 560 are not due to be replaced until much later in the year.

All low-end, 520/550 etc. shall be re-branded into 6xx series, same cards just re-boxed as 6 series with slightly bumped clock speeds.

A dual GPU based card could and can be released when NVIDIA desire to do so, most likely called GTX 690.

Again GTX 680 is flagged on the roadmap as fastest single GPU card, will a faster single GPU card come this year. Well I guess that depends if NVIDIA feel they need one and if they do I suspect October-December timeframe.

What we can expect in April/May is AIB's making much faster and higher TDP varients of GTX 680.

Don't be surprised to see cards like EVGA GTX 680 Superclocked 4096MB soon with twice memory and higher clock speeds for £500-£600 region. ;)

Does it in this road map of yours tell you of the intended, DDR bus, cuda cores, clock speed, power usage and GPU code? So the point still stands the GK104 was meant to be the mid range card.

The very fact that nvidia has been very quiet on their cards tells a story too.

Caporegime
Does it in this road map of yours tell you of the intended, DDR bus, cuda cores, clock speed, and power usage and GPU code? So the point still stands the GK104 was meant to be the mid range card.

The very fact that nvidia have been very quiet on their cards tell a story too.

He says "yes the spec may have changed"

Associate
What we are seeing (unbeknown to the people writing the reviews) are unfair reviews. What they seem to have trouble accepting is that as soon as you plug a 680 into your computer and install the drivers it automatically starts overclocking itself.

If it was locked to its stock default mhz (1004 or whatever) and put against a 925mhz 7970 the results would be as they are when both are overclocked. IE - they are absolutely dead level and it is impossible to separate them.

I agree totally, the reviewers are biased, lets be honest, anyone buying a £400+ card is going to know how to overclock it, and they will do what they can "for free", Yet they still compare nvidia "Stock", to AMD actual stock, which is just pointless IMO

Back
Top Bottom