Any joggers out there?

Associate
Im more of a cyclist but i wouldn't mind taking up jogging (because at some point i would like to do a 10K) does anyone have any decent resources they could share that i can contribute to what i have already got, also any tips and advice on formation would be great.

27/03/2012 02:19am: How long should i wait after breakfast to start running, my old man says at least half hour and i read mix opinions on the subject on the net so how long do you usually wait?

Thanks

James :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Going to agree with shoes, i ran 4 miles in the wrong shoes and spent a month limping. I then bought the right shoes for me (Asics Cumlus-13) and, for example, ran 5 miles yesterday without even a twinge.

Soldato
Obey the 3 "toos":

Too far
Too fast
Too much

Start off slowly and for short distances. Your cardio may be reasonable due to cycling or other sports but your joints etc will still need time to adjust to the higher impact sport that running physically is.

Start off at 2 miles maximum and increase the distance by 10% each week.

Associate
Surely you'd only make it a mile before you trod on some glass? At least, that'd be the case where i live.

That's why barefoot runners have miraculously developed the ability to look at the floor and not step on sharp or large objects; or, alternatively, you get some minimal footwear :p

Associate
I'd spend more time dancing around broken bottles than i would running! Minimal footware? Do tell!

Essentially anything with a nice thin sole and zero heel-toe drop will do the job. Those specs include anything from huaraches (my choice) to Vibram Five Fingers (not something I'd wear personally) to Vivobarefoots to water socks. They will give you all the benefits of 'barefoot' running whilst still allowing you some protection from what is underneath you.

Soldato
Essentially anything with a nice thin sole and zero heel-toe drop will do the job. Those specs include anything from huaraches (my choice) to Vibram Five Fingers (not something I'd wear personally) to Vivobarefoots to water socks. They will give you all the benefits of 'barefoot' running whilst still allowing you some protection from what is underneath you.

I'll check these out i think. Ta.

Associate
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abebe_Bikila#1960_Summer_Olympics :p

Whilst a completely valid question, you need to appreciate that the minimalist movement has only really started to pick up momentum in the last couple of years. Prior to this, running shoe manufacturers have been convincing people they need the latest shoes for the last 40 to 50 years. There have been and are some very fast minimalist runners (e.g. Abebe Bikila, Bruce Tulloh, Zola Budd, Anton Krupicka) but they are rare in the mainstream events.

Soldato
I am on the fence when it comes to minimal/BF running. I am not writing it off but I have to ask the question - Where are all the professional athletes that run BF?

To be fair if you look at the shoes that marathon runners wear they have next to no cushioning and are extremely lightweight. Very few amateur runners would be able to run more than 10k in them without a lot of practice. I think part of the reason more top marathon runners don't run barefoot or in minimal shoes is simply because shoe endorsements will make up a huge part of their income.

Associate
OP
Obey the 3 "toos":

Too far
Too fast
Too much

Start off slowly and for short distances. Your cardio may be reasonable due to cycling or other sports but your joints etc will still need time to adjust to the higher impact sport that running physically is.

Start off at 2 miles maximum and increase the distance by 10% each week.

Thanks, i kinda had to adopt to this with cycling regardless to my fitness rate due to a injury on my ankle (involves a bus happen 2 years ago loool). It fine but i just have to take it easy on any form of excise and this is why i kinda want to get advice because ino jogging will be more intense on the old ankle then cycling XD

@ Everyone

Thank you all for your kind feedback - I am gonna go blacks or millets for running footware if anyone can suggest anywhere with maybe a better selection please do XD loool and i am not gonna run bare foot the though of the amount of dog poo i could 'possibily step in, and glass/spitt.... no thanks i would rather run naked with footware on :D

Associate
I'd still suggest you take a look at barefoot running as it has improved my efficiency and my enjoyment immensely :)

If you want to go shod do not go to likes of Blacks or JJB Sports etc. You should go to either a local running shop with experienced staff or a podiatrist to have your gait analysed. At a local running shop they will both do a gait analysis and let you try out numerous shoes to find which pair you feel most comfortable in.

P.S. I just got back from a quick 5K in the sun. Despite popular belief, I didn't run through any dog poo or glass and the skin on my feet is fully intact! :p

Last edited:
Associate
I still think going straight to BF running with soft soles is a bad idea. You would want to toughen the soles up first as even standing on a small stone is painful.

You should start small not just because of the skin on your feet (although it is brilliant at preventing you from doing too much too soon) but also because of the alterations in the way you run. Your lower leg is used very differently when you run barefoot and if you don't start slowly you will most likely injure yourself.

Back
Top Bottom