The 2012 Chilli growing thread - the second burn!

Soldato
Any tips for the usual mouldy looking soil and small flies?
Just annoys me looks wise and the small flies the hover about.

I also may need to do some pruning to promote growth. I have shoots coming out between shoots.
So instead of looking like this
|
|__ it looks likes this:

|
|/__

Soldato
I can't see if they've hatch anywhere, it's just the odd tiny fruit fly type thing; little spec of black whizzing about.

I'm currently water about twice a week as the soil has been getting dry.

Man of Honour
They live in the top of the soil. And like it moist. Which is why covering the soil is meant to help. I just got some big killer which said it killed flies and applied liberally to the soil and it's worked a treat.

I water when they start to droop. Top of soil will always look dry, when the middle can still be wet.

Soldato
Didn't bother with pruning last year. But they got completely out of hand. They became awkward to handle. So this year, considering I've got more growing I think i'm going to chop the tops off eventually to promote a more bush-type plant.

Soldato
Thanks. The ones I have most of, explosive ember, are suppose to be bush like so was going to leave those how they are. I just wasn't sure on the more upright plants, curry and peppers, if it was best to prune them.

I've also planted a few more seeds after soaking with germination stuff. I should've taken care of what where sinkers and floaters (giggles) to see if like eggs if some seeds where bad. I would like an other curry and none of my Summer of Fire seeds germinated last time so here's hoping.

I've currently got 14 3.5inch pots, which is more than I would want to keep so note sure what I'll do with the others. I'm hoping my brother may take a couple off my hands and I think the future father-in-law may take a couple more.

The other option may be the local church plant sale, but selling only half a dozen seems a bit naff, and not sure what sort of prices I could charge.

Soldato
quick question chaps.

i have moved most of my plant into a conservatory. last year, they got covered in litttle insect type bugs( aphids i think?) and dont want the same happening this year.
I have seen a few flys around but so far the plants look ok.
would a quick spray with water and washing up liquid or soap be a good thing to do right now or should i just leave be.

oh i had about 6 haberenores (white) and only 1 left. having difficulty in growing these. they seem to just die.

Associate
quick question chaps.

i have moved most of my plant into a conservatory. last year, they got covered in litttle insect type bugs( aphids i think?) and dont want the same happening this year.
I have seen a few flys around but so far the plants look ok.
would a quick spray with water and washing up liquid or soap be a good thing to do right now or should i just leave be.

oh i had about 6 haberenores (white) and only 1 left. having difficulty in growing these. they seem to just die.

Have you checked under the leaves ? thats where the problem starts as they lay the first batch of eggs and there may be thousands or only a few, if you catch it early - if you have then yes, water and mild detergent will be ok

Otherwise - panic over

Associate
Chilli Forest,

DSCN0202.jpg

Soldato
Mine have pushed on too the last 2 weeks. I've seen a couple of larvae-like critters crawling around in the soil (I disturb them when I water) - only a few but will keep an eye out for eggs and flies, then try the detergent spraying thing.

Soldato
I'm still struggling to germinate some Summer of Fire. I'm on my second attempt at them, I have read online that they do take longer to germinate, but so far I've had a 0success rate.

Not sure if I said but I planted three pepper plants and moved them outside to the plastic greenhouse thingy. Got four left inside.

Although looking at the name on the markers I've used looks like I have one Summer of Fire already well established and it was Ring of Fire that failed the last time.

Caporegime
I really need to start growing my chili seeds but around here (Oregon) it has been back to winter with snow and frosts. The result is my apartment is quite cold in the day since I dont use any heating when I am out.

Will the chili seeds germinate if the room temperatures is around 16-18*C? I really have no where hotter to put them without turning on the heating all day which is stupid.
The hot water closet is even colder through the day.

On the plus side, the summers here usually go on to the end of october and the summers are normally hotter (30*C highs fairly common) and sunnier than most of the UK

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom