*** The official HTC One S thread ***

Permabanned
Well I thought we could get a thread going for people with small hands like me.

I speak having used both phones ( didn't plan this :) ). At first I took home the One X and it was a lust affair with it's 720p display. After a few hours, my head came to it's senses and I wasn't enjoying contorting my hands to navigate around the phone. I tend to use the phone with one hand on the move as I can't always free both hands when using it. How am I suppose to text while driving !!!.

Anyway, I then purchased the One S as the QHD display would be enough and 720p was not absolutely essential on a mobile device, after all it is suppose to be mobile. I can watch films and browse websites in full resolution at home.

What I noticed after using both:

+ Blacks and Colours are far more accurate and pop more than the One X / Sensation.
+ Menus are slightly quicker navigating on the S. That dual core has some grunt.
+ Thin design and very nice to hold
+ Battery appears to be very good. I had no sim in my phone all afternoon/evening and the display+wireless was on, yet my battery was still in the 70's.
+ Camera / autofocus is brilliant. Was sick of manually focusing while recording on my Sensation.
+ Speaker is great compared to previous HTC phones.

- Pentile display, it's not bad by any means; however there is a slight jagged edge around some text which is not visible on the One X and Sensation. I can live with this though.
- 10gb media/user space only available from the 16gb storage. Hopefully a custom rom can let me increase this a bit and take some out of the 2gb internal storage as I don't have many apps.

Overall very impressed and this is the phone for me. I urge anyone who is on the fence with a 4.7" screen to actually hold and use both phones or you will end up buying both like me :). Got to put the One X on ebay now. Don't let the screen make you impulse buy, try handling it with one hand and see what you think. Those with big hands, the One X display is amazing.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's nice, but I'm still not 100% sold on the pentile screen.

Very quick to use, battery life is good so far. Idled for around 5 hours then spent about 3 hours browsing, texting, watching vids and playing games with the screen at 100% brightness and it was at 72%. So pretty similar to my iPhone.

The codec support is excellent, seems to play everything I've tried so far from .3gp, 720p .mkv, .AVI etc. both off the memory and streaming from drop box. Sound quality through headphones is a little better than the iPhone 4, although there's a slight hiss using very sensitive in ear 'phones (UE700).

Main camera is good, better than the iPhone 4 and the speed you can take shots at is fantastic. The front camera on it sucks though, way worse than the iPhone 4 (and probably One X) although I doubt many people video call anyway. Here's a sample in decent light:

2CVIv.jpg

Handles high dynamic range really well and very quick to focus.

Video is only OK, they need to increase the bit rate as there's some quite obvious compression in the ones I've seen. Although that could be due the the phone resizing them for upload to dropbox, I haven't tried copying them straight from the phone.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Nice dog! :p

Sounds a good phone. Camera looks impressive enough and of course the picture taking speed is always important.

Caporegime
Sounds good so far! :D

Probably not use to the screen as you came from the iphone 4 so :p, only screen's on android mobiles that will match/surpass it, is the one X and galaxy nexus.

Front camera I couldn't care less about either :p

But so far the camera (photos), performance and battery life sounds great!

Good to hear about video playback as well, what about 1080P and I presume you used the stock player?

Caporegime
I've not tried 1080p yet, will give it a go. What's the best player similar to Air Video on android? I've no idea.

Ah k thanks :)

IIRC DICE player is very popular here (for the GS 2) and BS player (which can stream across wifi) as well as rock player and mobo player..... welcome to the beauty of android, plenty of choice! :p :D

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.inisoft.mediaplayer.trial&feature=search_result

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bsplayer.bspandroid.free&feature=related_apps

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...nJvY2twbGF5ZXIuYW5kcm9pZC51bmlmaWVkLmxpdGUiXQ..

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.clov4r.android.nil&feature=search_result

As for the specific versions (for the CPU) for some of those players, I have no idea which one you need to install :p I think there is a setting in the menu of the app's to tell you which one you need.

Soldato
Using one called Emit now, has it's own little server program like Air Video that runs on a PC. No need to set up an FTP or sharing. It's handling 720p with live conversion no problem, just downloading some 1080p samples to try.

Edit: 1080p is fine too, will try it from PC > Phone > TV with the HTC media thing when that arrives.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Oh, nice!

Kind of hard to tell from that video though :p, but it looks good and the sound seems pretty damn good as well :)

When does the HTC media thing arrive?

Thanks very much :)

Soldato
Shame that Krait SoC is stuck inside something with on okay screen and small storage!

According to Anand, the Adreno 225 is as fast as the PowerVR SGX 543MP2 :eek:

Not as fast it seems - however these benchmark programs a pretty poor - someone needs to bring out a decent cross platform one.

225 is still plent fast though - esp at qHD.

44385.png

44387.png

Back
Top Bottom