Comments on console chipping or other piracy related talk.

Soldato
Burnsy, can you please verify exactly what is allowed and isn't? I find this thread rather vague...

Yesterday evening I had a thread regarding the modification of 360 hard drives, which was then deleted a few hours later. I resorted to this thread prior to making it and saw no violation of rules, I have emailed another mod as per the rules but have as of yet to receive a response. This is the second hardware modding thread I have seen cleared up in as many weeks.

What are we allowed to discuss? Post #14 in this thread seems to contradict my thread being deleted and I don't want to find myself or others banned/suspended in the future for discussing modifications.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for the response.

As for the proprietary IP I'm fairly certain it doesn't. The mod is completely legal and all it is, is the following:

Opening Xbox 360 HDD enclosure, replacing the 2.5" drive with your own which contains the files needed for the console to detect it as a HDD. After that it functions exactly the same as a normal off the shelf drive and provides no extra features to the user at all, all it allows you to do is put a larger drive in the enclosure without paying the bloated Microsoft prices for one off the shelf. Just like buying a cheap laptop then putting your own drive in instead of paying inflated prices for it to be done at the manufacturer.

As I said, it offered no ability for piracy or anything even like it which is why I was left rather confused.

Man of Honour
To perform this mod you have to download a "unique" security file, which I don't believe can be talked about here. People asking how to obtain this file is what causes the issues.

Associate
Yeah you are, I've often wondered why that is allowed and this isn't. Are roms legal?

Fortunately, now, AximSite has also announced they will also let for legal (!) hacking discussions. What does this mean? Everything is allowed that discusses upgrades, hacks of the underlying operating system that originally came with the device (or is available for it as an official upgrade). That is, you're legally allowed to install, say, the WM5 AKU 3.5.2 upgrade on both of your Dell Axim x51(v) and HP iPAQ hx4700 because the former runs under WM5 and the latter has an official WM5 upgrade. That is, you've already paid for the WM5 license, which entitles you to use any AKU version of that operating system - even with hacked versions.

HOWEVER, if you do pay for a WM5 license, you still cannot legally use WM6 on the same device because it's WM5 that you've paid for, not WM6. This means I will still not report / comment on for example brand new WM6 ROM upgrades for, originally, WM5 devices having no official WM6 upgrades. I'm very sorry for this - you'll need to follow the discussions over at XDA-Developers and HowardForums instead.

http://www.smartphonemag.com/cms/blogs/3/aximsite_yes_to_hacked_cooked_but_still

uv

uv

Soldato
Hi there :)

Now that homebrew on the PS3 is much easier and no longer requires chipping etc due to the whole METLDR furore, I'd just like to ask - how come Jailbreak discussion is allowed for i-Devices in the Apple Software subforum, but homebrew/jailbreak threads are not allowed for the PS3 in the Console subforum? Does the legality of both situations differ? I understand the obvious issues regarding piracy, but I'd love to be able to discuss real, legal homebrew?

Cheers :)

Commissario
Is it legal to play a rom on the pc if you own the original game?

This is currently being discussed amongst the Dons.

Hi there :)

Now that homebrew on the PS3 is much easier and no longer requires chipping etc due to the whole METLDR furore, I'd just like to ask - how come Jailbreak discussion is allowed for i-Devices in the Apple Software subforum, but homebrew/jailbreak threads are not allowed for the PS3 in the Console subforum? Does the legality of both situations differ? I understand the obvious issues regarding piracy, but I'd love to be able to discuss real, legal homebrew?

Cheers :)

I'll check this out too and get back to you.

Man of Honour
My launch day xbox360 now has a big chip in it, I launched it out of the bedroom window after it gave 3 red lights error,been fixed by ms in 2008 the first time it did it but alas warranty is out, concrete sure dose chip plastic well :eek:,

oh well got a new slim one on its way...........

Associate
My launch day xbox360 now has a big chip in it, I launched it out of the bedroom window after it gave 3 red lights error,been fixed by ms in 2008 the first time it did it but alas warranty is out, concrete sure dose chip plastic well :eek:.

You and the path outside your house should go into business together. You'll make a fortune chipping xbox 360's or indeed anything else made out of plastic.

I think it's only a short term plan, with probably little or no repeat business

:cool:

Associate
Hacking the PS3 has lead to the original hacker (Geohot) being sued by Sony so I am guessing it is illegal. Whereas jailbreaking/unlocking iPod's/Phone's is legal.

It is legal to own the original ROM of a game if you own the original and you are also allowed to own 1 backup of a game/movie/cd.

Chipping is legal in the UK but it is not in the US. I've seen DS flashcarts being sold on the highstreet... That says it all really.

Associate
I cant see really why anyone would want to chip or make illegal games we want the developers to push the boundries and make games better and more awsome. And you can pick up preowned now for so cheap so whats the point. But i am interested in wheather discussions can be made in relation to modding the kinnect as microsoft have openly invited this now to get interesting results on how it can be used is this allowed?

Associate
Piracy is what is making the developers use crap tactics to stop like codes for online play which also is affecting the second hand market please people you need to stop

Back
Top Bottom