Acer 8371/3810 Owners Thread

Associate
I've double clicked it and nothing happens, how do i know if the overclock has taken place? (cpu wise)

I've updated to 1.28 as well.

Nothing is meant to happen once you've clicked it.

Download CPU-Z - http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/cpu-z/1.60-setup-en.exe

WHen you run it you'll get a screen like this (this is a totally different cpu so all your values will be different ):
cpuzm.jpg

The bit you want to look for is in the red box highlighted on the picture above.

Before you run the overclock exe the bus speed will be 200 MHz .

After you run the overclock exe and load the cpu-z again it will now be 250 MHz. If it is then overclock has worked.

If you want to know how cpu works and how overclock works read below :

Your cpu can run at various levels that is your multiplier above the bus speed shown in picture. So it can run at (x4 , x6, x7 ) etc. The multiplier will change depending on what your doing on your pc. If your doing lots of stuff it will go up.

And to get your cpu speed all you do is ( bus speed multiply by multiplier = cpu speed ) . This is shown as core speed in the cpu-z app.

So obviously if you have overclocked your bus speed from 200 MHz to 250 MHz . Then that means when its at max multiplier (x7) . Instead of 200 x 7 = 1400 Mhz (1.4 GHZ) it will be 250 x 7 = 1.75 MHZ (1.75 GHZ)

So you have overclocked from 1.4 ghz to 1.75 ghz. And all the levels inbetween are overclocked.

The values above are for a Acer 8371 . So if you have a 3810 its the same but your max multiplier is x6.5 .

Last edited:
Associate
Also how do increase the speed of the fan?

There is no easy tool to do this. You can only change the fan speed by hex editing the bios and then flashing this hex edited bios.

Also you have to know what your doing cause if you hex edit the wrong thing you will brick your laptop and it won't turn on.

I could hex edit the bios for you if you wanted a different fan speed and if you let me know what you wanted.

Its hard to know what it will sound like though. For reference when you flash a bios the fan is at 100% so thats the noise of the fan at full speed.

You can set your fan to any % you want.

For stock bios i think fan runs at around 35-40 %

Last edited:
Associate
Screen on my brothers 3810 just failed.

I've ordered the LP133WH2-TLA3 screen since apparently this one doesn't suffer from the bent cable problem.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270549485992?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

This guide was very useful: http://www.insidemylaptop.com/replace-broken-screen-acer-aspire-3810t-laptop/
May have been posted already, but I don't want to read through 32 pages.

Rickh, I was unaware of this bent cable problem - could you explain in some more detail?

Also guys - I used the same guide and proved useful for me as well.

I went for this one off eBay:
13.3” LED Screen for B133XW01 V.3 V3

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150662879909

The V.3 V3 is the exact model I found when I took mine apart - but I don't know if it would have made any difference, think what I actually received was a bit different and many sellers have a disclaimer to say they will send what ever is in stock.

This one does have a 6 month warranty though unlike many others.

Cheers.

Last edited:

ryu

ryu

Associate
Thanks for the help dude :) I'll leave the fan for now!

Now onto overclocking the graphics card what can i use todo that?

i think the unofficial modified bios includes an overclock to the graphics card.

bit of a long story here, but a happy ending :)

i bought the 8371G (not brand new) and about 2 months afterwards the screen decided to die.

i contacted acer support saying the following:
1) the laptop was out of warranty
2) i had researched and was aware this was a common issue with this model laptop
3) ive already removed the screen in an attempt to find the model number of it inorder to replace it myself
4) i required clarification on whether the whole screen needed replacing, or whether it was as cheap and simple as just the inverter.

id found replacement screens on ebay, information suggesting led sceens didnt have inverters, and then various website selling inverters for this model laptop. i emailed a few places and they all had conflicting replies, so i thought it best asking acer directly. i didnt want to pay £50 for a screen if it was only a £20 inverter required, and didnt want to buy an inverter if the whole screen needed replacing etc.

i firmly asked 2 questions to acer support,
A: could they answer the above so i could replace the screen myself
B: how much would it cost for acer to do the replacement

amongst the reply was

they couldnt answer the technical details but they will schedule the unit in for repair even though the unit is out of warranty and if it is found to be a manufacturing fault, the unit will be repaired for free of cost and also please provide a scanned copy of a receipt.

i replied saying i didnt have a receipt, they replied saying ok doesnt matter phone up UPS on this number and complete the following procedure. a few weeks after sending the laptop off i recieve a £120 bill through the post including £10 courier charge there and a further £10 to have the laptop returned to me!!

i phoned them up, explained (to about 3 different people having been referred on, then on again) that i was happy to replace the screen myself for £50 if my questions could have been answered, but i was then lead to believe this would be replaced free of charge as it was a manufacturing defect. i was told the support ticket had been raised to a higher priority and somebody would get back to me. a week later they contacted me and said it would be replaced and returned to me free of charge.

it ended up taking about 6 weeks from the screen going to getting it returned and working, and i could have just bought a new screen for £50 and had it working within a week.

Last edited:

ryu

ryu

Associate
I bought my laptop of here S/H and it came with the screen fault, wish i sent it back then, but i really needed it at the time.

Screen is darker in the left hand corner all the time now, i take it that it will eventually die?

i bought mine from here S/H also, so ending up with it replaced for free was quite fortunate.

im not quite sure, this model is reknown for screen failures so id assume that it will eventually fail, either way its not going to get any better. the screen on mine all of a sudden just went dark, meaning the backlight had died and it wasnt a gradual thing.

a little insight for people in the same situation and the best option to take:
1) replacing the screen themselves (~£50 for a new screen from ebay)
2) getting it done by acer on an out of warranty laptop (a break down of the bill i received) it was something like £70 for a replacement screen, £30 labour, £20 courier charges (return)

Associate
Still need a replacement for this (after it got stolen), someone a few pages back suggested the Lenovo ThinkPad X121e however the trackpad is a little small! Any other suggestions?

(I may just go with the ThinkPad, and buy a desktop for use at home, the laptop will mainly be used for uni work!)

Associate
I've taken the chance - if it lasts another year ill be happy. Its a nice laptop and apart from the screen I've had no problems

ryu

ryu

Associate
can anybody provide more details on connecting a ssd as an addition to the existing hd please? (for the 8371g)

where is the connector found?
-does it require taking the shell off?
-is it under the keyboard?
-or can it be gotten to from one of the compartments?

is the connection msata?
does it attach directly to the motherboard?
can anybody provide pictures?

thanks in advance

Soldato
My 8371 was fine this morning but just opened it up now and looks like the backlight is gone. Any advice on what I can do to check or the next steps? Ta.

Back
Top Bottom