First bike, bad idea?

Associate
I did my direct access and passed 2 weeks ago, now i'm desperate to get out and still have no bike.
Would it be a bad idea to buy a bike with slightly higher milage? i've seen a nice zx6r, but it has 31,000 miles, but it's only £1200.
really like the bike and can get it this weekend, Just wondering if it's a good/bad idea?
apart from zx6 maybe been a bad first bike, is their anything i should look at specifically when/if viewing this bike?

Thankyou.

Associate
It should be alright as long as it has a full service history

When you I and look at it just check their is no major rusting on the frame and exhaust. Check fork legs for any chips and scuffs and make sure the seals are intact start it and listen to the engine make sure their is no knocking or any dodgy noises.

Soldato
Take your time and have a really good look around the bike. You can get a lot of bike for £1200, there are a lot of older sports 600's knocking about that have spent most of there lives in someone's garage, but there are some complete dogs out there too. Be fussy, if it's a bit tatty or been down the road then have a look at some others, there's loads about.

For that kind of money I'd guess it's a late 90's model.

Check tyres (wear/condition/correct sizes etc), chain and sprockets, brake pads, check for play or notches in the steering head bearings, check for signs it's been dropped (bar ends, lever ends, foot pegs etc).

Started from cold with the choke on Kawasaki's generally have a high tick over, this is normal, make sure it ticks over nice and quiet when warmed up. If you take it out for a test ride then check for clutch slip. Gearboxes are generally ok, but can be a bit notchy/clunky.

Check the brakes work well, some of the older zx6 calipers were a nightmare for seized pistons.

Last edited:
Caporegime
take a good look over it but that mileage isnt high,im on 50,000 miles on a zx6r g1 and all ive needed to replace is the steering head bearings and the fuel pump,besides consumables ect

very reliable bikes

and thats from new!!!!!

points to check are steering head bearings the steering should move freely from lock to lock without notchyness,and check wheel bearings and that the brake pistons are free(brakes not binding)

Associate
OP
well that's eased my mind a bit, i'll be taking my dad with me who's ridden for quite a while now and has owned a zx6 before. so hopefully between us we should be able to check everything over fully and my dad should know if anything is wrong with as he will have to test ride it due to me not having the insurance. I've ridden a zx6 before (before passing my test) and know i like the bike, just need to find the right one qutie cheaply now.

Associate
This is tried, tested and proven :D

Things to keep an eye out for...

-Check the discs dont have a massive ridge at the edge.
-New brake pads
-Ask about the wheel bearings, put it on the centre stand (if the bike has one) and spin the front wheel, and the same with the back. check for a grinding/knocking sound from the centre of the wheel > if so then new bearings.
-While on the centre stand, sit on the bike, lean back so the front lifts a few inches and slowly move the bars from left to right. If you feel and knotches then you will need new headstock bearings, ballache of a job to do and costly on labour if you got to a garage to get it done.
-Check chain and sprockets
-Listen for a knocking sound from the engine.
-ask him not to start the bike until you get there, you want to see how easy it starts from cold.
-feel the engine before it starts to see if he has warmed it up. if he has, ask why. if you dont like his answer walk away.
-look on the downpipes for any holes, and feel/listen for any blowing from the downpipes and exhausts pipe and can.
-take the oil filler cap off and look for any white cheesy looking gunk > water in the engine not good.
-The gearbox should make a re-assuring "THUNK" when you knock it into 1st gear. The clutch may rattle/rustle a little and it should stop when you pull the clutch in.

If at any point you get a bad vibe, not to be mistake for a scared of the power vibe, then walk away. there are thousands of other bikes out there.

hth

Soldato
Check for chicken wings.. If it has them = GOOD. If not the previous owner was probably a bit confident and there's a good chance that bike has been on one wheel a lot.

I like buying bikes that have big chicken wings !

Associate
Check for chicken wings.. If it has them = GOOD. If not the previous owner was probably a bit confident and there's a good chance that bike has been on one wheel a lot.

I like buying bikes that have big chicken wings !

Anyone can screw a bike in a straight line so I don't really think this is great advice to go on.

Soldato
I am always under this school of thought for a first bike:

"If it has an "R" in its name/make/model , it is probably not a good first bike".

Having said that, I'm sure lots of people do this. Better be safe than sorry and build up your experience rather than going out on a death trap to start with. I just hope you have some good gear to ride in OP.

Also - don't rush to get a bike just because you have passed. Take your time a bit, look around and find one to you that is right. Try and get a test ride although not always possible for first timers.

Soldato
I am always under this school of thought for a first bike:

"If it has an "R" in its name/make/model , it is probably not a good first bike".

Having said that, I'm sure lots of people do this. Better be safe than sorry and build up your experience rather than going out on a death trap to start with. I just hope you have some good gear to ride in OP.

Also - don't rush to get a bike just because you have passed. Take your time a bit, look around and find one to you that is right. Try and get a test ride although not always possible for first timers.

:D

My first bike (outside of a 50cc Vespa @ 16)

Was a TZ'R' 125 @ 17
Then onto a K'R'1S
Then onto a CB'R' 400
Then onto an 'R'6

The bikes I soooooooooooooooooooo badly wanted inbetween were an 'R'GV250 and an Aprillia 'R'S250

It's gonna be hard to have any fun missing that all important R. :D

Associate
Haha , yes there are exceptions to most rules. However, the very important "R" in the OP's post is for a bike that is beyond a person who has just passed their test - IMO

This is why I got a GSX-F and not a GSX-R. It's nice and friendly but still very rapid if you want it to be. People who aren't bikers can't tell the difference anyway.

Associate
A ZX6R isnt a problem as a first bike.
a 31k miles bike isnt a massive problem.

However

a 31k miles first bike might be.

It will take a bit more maintenance than normal and if youre not able to do it yourself then itll become a case of your every other post being about "that ***** bike"

Soldato
Haha , yes there are exceptions to most rules. However, the very important "R" in the OP's post is for a bike that is beyond a person who has just passed their test - IMO

R is fine, it's an RR that I'd be careful of :p.

Although, most new bikers won't really know the difference between something like a GSX-R and GSX-F. If anything, as the power lies higher in the rev ranges on an GSX-R, they probably don't access as much power unless they really get into the power band of it, compared to say the GSX-F which has the power lower down the rev range lol.

Associate
When I passed Feb 2011, I so badly wanted a gsx-R or a zx6 but I wasn't prepared to fork out for the insurance premium tbh, what with running a car too....so I got an er6-f and tbqh it has more than enough oomph for me, my neighbour even asked me if it was a "ninja"....not a million miles away in looks I suppose ...think I will still get one of the aforementioned but will probably wait till next year, will have 2years experience by then too. I can understand the desire tbh but I managed to step away from what may have been an unhappy ending for me and bide my time.

Back
Top Bottom