Rig/Cruncher images and specs......

Soldato
Very nice, I have the same board, similar case 700d, with 980x in it watercooled, a bit conservative isn't it, 4ghz? Crank it up! mine does 4.5ghz with 4.125v, and the 990s generally clock better.

Associate
Pre Upgrade:

dscf0468y.jpg

Upgrades:

newstuff.jpg

First W/B fitted to the GTX 680:

barrowinfurness20120407.jpg

barrowinfurness20120406.jpg

barrowinfurness20120406.jpg

Block Two Fitted:

Last edited:
Associate
20042012154.jpg

20042012157.jpg

Well here's my cruncher...

Dripping with fans (Viper, two Xilent Redwings (one behind the mobo) and two CM Sickleflows and the 20cm whopper in the roof. Not exactly quiet- really need a fan controller...
And despite bad things said about the Freezer 13, I'm flat out on MilkyWay and the max so far has been 57C!

Pushing much gigafloppage already, going to have a pop at OCing the GPUs tonight...

Last edited:
Associate
I did have this lot in a CM Sileo 500 case.
Without removing the side panel, CPU temps would hit 72C upwards- BSODd several times due to overheating (Only when BOINCing). This was due to the case only having one exhaust fan. Even with the Viper, it just couldn't shift enough air...
Since switching to the Antec 1100, I've not managed to exceed the high fifties.

Seriously folks- if anyone is on the lookout for a good case (esp. if you crunch a lot), the 1100 is a real stunner, and a total joy to own. So much space to play with, and ventilation is second to none. I have experimented with and without the 'behind the mobo' fan- it is good for another three Celsius' worth of difference- hit 60-62C without it.

Associate
...Since switching to the Antec 1100, I've not managed to exceed the high fifties.

Seriously folks- if anyone is on the lookout for a good case (esp. if you crunch a lot), the 1100 is a real stunner, and a total joy to own. So much space to play with, and ventilation is second to none.

That's good to hear. Did you consider the well reviewed mid-tower Corsair Carbide 500R white/black for only £90 and better cooling (plus options for watercooling)?

I'm buying that next week to move my ProLiant MicroServer into (not saying array size to blow my own trumpet ;)) to sort out a few niggles. Official specs here, worth checking out.

Associate
Yes, I did look at the Corsair- it was either that or the 1100!
I just prefer the look of the Antec, and the side fan port behind the mobo just swung it for me. I know the 500R is a great case- it was a bit of a coin-toss decision in the end.
There is plenty of room for watercooling, although I'm not planning to go that way at the moment- still got plenty of headroom with air for the time being!

Soldato
Been slacking royally of late as money has been pretty tight. Have managed to build the rig below on saving pennies here n there and buying second hand.

While the layout might leave a lot to be desired for me not being a serial watercooler i dont think i did too bad. I realised i was going to run short of fittings so there might be exclamations of "what is that" and had to build the loop in such a way as it would be easier to add next gtx 580.
Am working my way up slowly o/c the gpus right now they are at 850 so aways to go yet :)

Never really thought of blue as a colour scheme before but getting the mobo at a good price i thought i would give it a go ..... its ok ... ish.

I7 930 @ 4ghz
12gb Corsair Dominator Ram 8-8-8-24
2 x gtx 580's with ek blocks .... backplates will come when i have the spare cash.
Thermaltake Toughpower 1500w
Cpu - thin double rad in push pull at top of case below 2 x 200mm fans.
Gpus - rear mounted triple rad in push pull.

Associate
That my good man is one hell of a cooling set-up......

I am currently in the midst of trying to resolve a few issues - seems the Corsair 800D is a little too small for my requirements :(

Still got a few ideas tho......

Have a few pics so far - but nothing to get excited about.

Hopefully, it wont be out of action for too long.........

Fingers crossed.

Soldato
Cheers Mr Loudbob sah, am not so bothered about the looks of kit as i used to but am well chuffed the cooling numbers and oc's are a lot better than i anticipated :)

Do get a move on sah ..... i've not seen a rig with 4 x 680 yet i could use a new screensaver :)

Associate
:o

Well I've managed to fit a triple rad and four single rads into the 800D along with six fans. So now I know it all fits I'm in the process of fitting the water blocks to the last two 680's. After which I will clean the cpu loop and proceed to rebuild it all. Just hope it goes as well as I hope - but its gonna be very tight...... :)

Last edited:
Associate
Three 680's down...one to go.

Will have to continue with the rebuild tomorrow tho.... :(

Be warned tho.....when finished its gonna be chaos inside the case....but that's the way I pictured it :)

Back
Top Bottom