BARGAIN - OcUK 24" with DVI (*VA Panel) for £179.99+VAT (This Week Only Deal!!)

Soldato
You can get a Dell UltraSharp U2311H for £200 but the resolution is 1920x1080, is an IPS panel (which is normally better than a VA Panel I think), viewing angles of 178 degrees.

It gets pretty good reviews.

I have both the DGM (bedroom) and the DELL U2311H (in the lounge).

It really depends on what you use your monitor for.

The DELL is "ultrasharp" on text. It is the sharpest monitor I have ever seen.

However, for colour reproduction (games/movies), the DELL u2311h, doesnt even come close to the images which the DGM can display. The other problem is the 1080p resolution...1200p is vastly more superior.

If I was replacing the DGM with the DELL, for me, this would be a downgrade. No question.

If you mainly do office work (word processing, spreadsheets, white backgrounds), then the DELL is a better monitor; in everything else, the DGM beats the DELL.

PS: the DGM uses about 95W at the wall outlet, while the DELL uses 19W. I measured this using my electricity meter.

Associate
Thanks for the suggestions guys and sunama for that comparison, very helpful!

I was planning on replacing my desktop with a MacBook Pro by the end of this year so this is just an inconvenience! I'd rather not spend £200 on a monitor I'll only use 4-6 months lol. I guess in this case I'm expecting too much in terms of spec and should go for a smaller, cheaper TN, something like:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-058-IY

or this with 1 HDMI so I can use it as a TV later in the kitchen:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-023-AS

Soldato
What you could do is get a £200 monitor and once you upgrade (you don't know for sure when/if this will happen), you can sell the £200 monitor for say £100. This is an option.

Also, there is a deal going around the net right now for a 23" IPS monitor at around £140. Do a search on this.

You could also plump for another VA panel monitor (ie. the Benq).

There are plenty of options for you.

Soldato
+ VA Panel
+ 16.7m colours
+ 180/180 viewing angle
+ 1920x1200 resolution (WUXGA)

Does anyone have recommendations for a cheap replacement preferably to the above spec or similar?

Tanks.

I migrated to a HP LP2475w. not sure what these might run you these days but it was a pretty good deal when i bought mine new.

Soldato
I migrated to a HP LP2475w. not sure what these might run you these days but it was a pretty good deal when i bought mine new.

That costs around £410.

It is an s-IPS screen and has some good reviews.

If you were happy with with the VA panel though, I would look for another VA panel.

Remember, some panels are great for some purposes, while not so great others. You should choose the panel type that YOU like the best...not what other people say is the best.

Personally, I like Plasma TVs better than LCDTVs and prefer VA panels over IPS panels. This doesnt mean that Plasma is better than LCD OR that VA is better than IPS.

I must say though, the 27" Hazro screens are looking mighty fine to me...and this coming from a VA convert.

Soldato
So I had one of these DGM monitors, a while back it started to go wrong. Screen went black, corruption... turn it off and on again it would work from a few minutes than muck up again. I boxed it up and left it in the cupboard.

A few months on, I get round to getting a return number and I'm about to send it back. However, I've connected it up and been using it for a couple of hours this morning and it's fine! What's happens when you return a product like this, that is working (as far as a couple hour test this morning shows) but in the past was unusual as described above?

Associate
Just thought I'd report an apparently (3 hours so far) successful repair I've done on mine today, now watch as posting this will probably jinx it lol.

Woke up and found black screen with slightly lighter vertical lines on it, vaguely remember reading about the vertical line problem in this thread and thought that was that as I got mine dec07 so well out of warranty. Tried turning it on/off a couple of times, played with the cable but to no avail. :(

Anyway about a year ago I successfully revived a Samsung PC/TV monitor, it was the old domed/split capacitor problems around the power supply and that repair is still going strong. So I thought 'what the heck' lets open the DGM up and see if there's anything obvious. In the Samsung there had been 3 very domed caps and 1 of them had split and seemed to have a small amount of stuff coming out of it! Unfortunately there was nothing so obvious inside the DGM, on closer inspection there were a couple of caps which were slightly domed.

TBH if I hadn't found a couple of suitable caps in my repair box I'm not sure I'd have bothered trying to fix it. As I'd resigned myself to buying a new monitor I thought I'd nothing to lose by having a go. The 2 affected caps were adjacent to each other and were 1000µF 16v. The 2 caps out of my repair box (unknown vintage) were 820µF 25v (close enough lol), same diameter but about 2-3mm taller but that wasn't a problem as there was plenty of headroom.

Think this will only be a temporary reprieve as like others in this thread its got the slightly 'dirty wash' effect and image persistence problems that seem to appeared over the last few months so a new monitor was always on the cards in the not too distant future.

Soldato
Mine (the Yuraku branded) doesn't seem to like DVI anymore. Tried it on 3 computers and only VGA works. No signal to monitor at all with DVI, not even posting. Anyone know if there's a simple fix for this?

Last edited:
Associate
TBH if I hadn't found a couple of suitable caps in my repair box I'm not sure I'd have bothered trying to fix it. As I'd resigned myself to buying a new monitor I thought I'd nothing to lose by having a go. The 2 affected caps were adjacent to each other and were 1000µF 16v. The 2 caps out of my repair box (unknown vintage) were 820µF 25v (close enough lol), same diameter but about 2-3mm taller but that wasn't a problem as there was plenty of headroom.

thx for the tip, my monitor (iolair mb24w, brand name sold in france) shown the same symptoms (thin gray lines on a black bg, and faulty standby mode with noise in the speakers) and i fixed it the same way you did.
I've read reports on a french forum (pics can be found there : http://forum.hardware.fr/hfr/HardwarePeripheriques/Ecran/unique-iolair-clones-sujet_40947_169.htm#t665789) that sometimes the three 1000uF/16v caps were faulty, but on mine only those two close to each other had to be replaced.

The monitor works fine now !

Think this will only be a temporary reprieve as like others in this thread its got the slightly 'dirty wash' effect and image persistence problems that seem to appeared over the last few months so a new monitor was always on the cards in the not too distant future.

yeah i've also noticed those problems on my panel, what do you figure they mean in terms of longevity ? I don't really mind them but as i couldn't really find the other posts you're talking about i was wondering if it was a sign of imminent death of another kind ?

Associate
fade to black

mines got some new symptoms :\, power on itll make a slight high frequency noise, show a picture briefly then the colours all fade to black quickly and im left with some bars that are near black, on a black screen

only does it sometimes tho :x

seems i've got the same problem on mine..

Did you come up with any kind of temp or perm fix for this ?

I had to fix the faulty caps on the power supply board a few months back, maybe it's still the same problem, i know i didn't replace all of them..

i'll try to replace the other caps and see what happens.

Caporegime
27th November 2007 I ordered mine and it's still going strong. Countless trips to and from uni with it in the car, endless amounts of hours of use from it.

I think the time has come for an upgrade / use this as a secondary monitor. I can not believe you can now buy 2 x 24" monitors for less than the price this cost and at the time it was an absolute steal for the price! One of, if not my single happiest purchase I've ever made, totally thrilled with how this monitor has served me for nearly 5 years!!!! :eek:

Associate
Haha can't believe this topic is at the top of the forum! I suppose it just goes to show it was an enduring product and people are still getting use out of them 4.5 years later!

Associate
I can not believe you can now buy 2 x 24" monitors for less than the price this cost and at the time it was an absolute steal for the price!

Ah, but how many of the current 24" monitors are 1920x1200 and have an MVA screen. I did a stupid thing with my DGM 24" monitor when messing around with the GAMMA slider in AMD control panel by accidentily using my mouse wheel I put the gamma setting to the highest and burnt an image in the screen. It really was a fantastic monitor until I wrecked it and will now just be kept as a back up.

Caporegime
Haha that's true, but you get what I mean. :D Haha that's a pretty impressive thing to do to be honest! I just need to figure out what to replace it with.

Soldato
I bought mine when this thread first started.
Great monitor.
Almost as good as my Sony CRT (though the blacks aren't as deep).
I've since bought a Dell U2311H monitor, but for graphics, the DGM beats the Dell with ease. No matter how much you play around with the settings of the Dell, it cannot display movies/games with the vibrancy with which the DGM displays images.

Also, don't fall for the trap that just because a monitor is 4 years newer, it will automatically be better. I thought that with the Dell and realised that the DGM really was a fantastic piece of kit, which cant be matched by cheaper monitors in 2012. If you want a monitor better than the DGM, you will probably have to spend just as much as you spent on the DGM. Just don't fall into the same way of thinking that I did.

Back
Top Bottom