Any joggers out there?

Soldato
I'd get your gait checked before going barefoot / minimalist. I over pronate and have a 2mm leg length difference meaning I'm a committed heal striker. Moving to a toe / ball strike causes achilles damage.

If you can adopt a toe / ball running style then do it though as its much more efficient.

Associate
OP
Barefoot doesn't appeal to me specially if your talking about running in the streets, where you that the left overs from yesterday night binge drinkers **** - glass - general commuter
litter and dog mess on the floor i dont know how well maintain your area's are but i can certainly say myne aint that grande.... although i would wear trainners to a large park with jogging paths and take them off there yes ^^ but atm i was just thinking of doing morning street jogs... then hit the parks on weekends :D

Associate
OP
Thanks, i did go to a dedicated sport shop local and got myself a comfortable and affordable pair of trainers - i am gonna start of doing 2 miles and work my way up, i have a router done out to get myself on a path <rest days ect> and a goal i wanna achieve which is 10k atm thanks for everyone advice :D

also i wanna run this through you guys, 1 hour after breakfast of porridge to start jogging? or less < i read 2hrs but this off a marathon sourced guide which i am assume is long distance joggers.

Last edited:
Soldato
decent socks also make a genuine difference

in particular go for ones that are different L/R

the MoreMiles ones online are good - but £4.99 or so each - but I also find the ones from Tescos (Sports socks) at £6 for 3 pairs are also good

I'm currently re-training for this years 10 mile run in my local town

currently running 3 11-14km runs a week - on top of the 3-4 gym sessions a week - I'm shattered !

like others say - small steps - and expect your body to hurt the day afterwards while it gets used to it - within the first 6 months of running I could not walk down the stairs (hardly) the next day

Associate
OP
decent socks also make a genuine difference

in particular go for ones that are different L/R

the MoreMiles ones online are good - but £4.99 or so each - but I also find the ones from Tescos (Sports socks) at £6 for 3 pairs are also good

I'm currently re-training for this years 10 mile run in my local town

currently running 3 11-14km runs a week - on top of the 3-4 gym sessions a week - I'm shattered !

like others say - small steps - and expect your body to hurt the day afterwards while it gets used to it - within the first 6 months of running I could not walk down the stairs (hardly) the next day

SOCKS.... i actually never though of that i was thinking sports direct cheap ;) yeah im expecting the pain i have went jogging in my life im more of a cyclist =D but ino that has nothing on jogging XD

urgh yea i would be shattered as well dont burn yourself out though

Caporegime
Reasonably long term runner here, 5-10K 3 times a week on average, you wouldn't catch me barefoot running in a million years. Why would I want to be watching the floor every step, not to mention that to me personally, I fail to see these miraculous benefits. Why change something that isn't broken? Sure, if you suffer from terrible pain running in trainers... give it a shot I suppose?

I don't suffer from any sort of pain, muscular or otherwise so for me it's trainers all day long.

I guess it all depends on the manner of running for some. I don't stick to road running only, and often mix cycle trails, or river, off road runs in as well. Wouldn't fancy going barefoot on some of that terrain.

Last edited:
Soldato
Always best to make sarcastic remarks from inside your own little bubble of reality than appreciate the gains made by other people eh :rolleyes:

Oh sorry, perhaps I should have been clearer... Bit of barefoot running, knees cured, ****** miracle, sir.

As ever I only base my opinions on a little running experience, can't go too far in my bubble now can I.

Last edited:
Associate
Oh sorry, perhaps I should have been clearer... Bit of barefoot running, knees cured, ****** miracle, sir.

As ever I only base my opinions on a little running experience, can't go too far in my bubble now can I.

So what you're essentially saying is that based on your sample size of one you've concluded it's impossible for anyone to find it more comfortable to run barefoot therefore the above poster must be lying?

Soldato
Obey the 3 "toos":

Too far
Too fast
Too much

Start off slowly and for short distances. Your cardio may be reasonable due to cycling or other sports but your joints etc will still need time to adjust to the higher impact sport that running physically is.

Start off at 2 miles maximum and increase the distance by 10% each week.

Just forrest gump it lad !

Back
Top Bottom