• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

a good 2nd hand gpu for under £100

Associate
hi i was wanting advise for a good nvidia gpu for under £100at the min i have a 7950gx2 on a evga 680i sli mb, i am just about to upgrade the cpu to a q6600 and 4 gig of ram, thanks dan

Man of Honour
GTX 480's are going for around £120 in the members market so you may find a GTX 470 for just under £100. Does it have to be Nvidia? If you are looking at buying from the bay you will likely get more for your money going down the AMD route.

Soldato
Hi there,

With a ~£100 budget and a Q6600 CPU I would personally go with a brand new HD 6850 1GB card. This will give you nice GPU performance boost - to the point that you will be CPU limited in many games unless you give it a decent overclock. Also, instead of being second-hand the 6850 is a brand new card - so comes with a full 2 year warranty.

A new GTX 460 1GB is also a good choice (this card performs at the same level as the HD 6850), especially if you want to stick with a Nvidia card. Again this comes with a warranty since it is new - in this case a 3 year warranty.

Associate
Will be posting my Saphire HD5870 in Members' Market soon at well within your price range but then noticed you won't have access yet which is a pity.

Good idea when you get a moment to enable your trust so other members can contact you directly.

Associate
OP
thanks guys i am just about to put my q6600 in and 4 megs of ram as i have just picked them up, i am really after a nvidia card as i can go sli when i can aford it

Soldato
Its a nice idea, but unless you are playing at a really high resolution then the Q6600 CPU would severly limit a GTX 460 SLI setup. Also, the 680i Nvidia chipset motherboards hate quad core CPUs - so you will not be able to overclock your Q6600 CPU very much to try and overcome this bottleneck. In fact, at stock 2.4GHz the Q6600 will limit a single GTX 460 1GB/HD 6850 in many games.

Therefore, I would just buy whatever single card is better value (at this price point it tends to be an AMD card like the HD 6850) and consider selling the 680i board and buy a P35/P45/X48 chipset board instead (which can overclock this CPU very well) and these boards also tend to support AMD crossfireX.

Associate
OP
1000 posts:eek: a long way away then, i know what your saying about the mb thing but im trying to build a half decent computer for little money its alreaddy come along way from the one i had at the start:D so i think i will get a gpu then think about a new mb mabee with a i5?

Soldato
so i think i will get a gpu then think about a new mb mabee with a i5?

Sounds like a good plan. My main recommendation is not to limit your graphics card choice to just Nvidia cards - since with that CPU and board you couldn't make use of the power of two cards anyway.

Also consider that modern Intel boards (like the Z77) can support both SLI and CrossfireX. So whichever graphics card brand you go for - you can add a second card when you do move over to a modern Intel system.

Back
Top Bottom