Tyre Talk

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Just wondered what tyres you are all running & on what bike & what style of riding you mainly do, How much they cost & how many miles do you expect to get from them ?

So...

Tyres =

Bike =

Riding style =

Expected mileage =

Cost =

Cheers All. :)

Soldato
Tyres = Michelin Pilot Road 3's
Bike = Triumph Street Triple R
Riding Style = Commute so semi-sensible with the occasional loss of sanity :D
Expected Mileage = Hoping for 5-6k from the rear
Cost = £250 for the pair fitted (needed them semi-urgently in the end, lack of planning...)

For the past 3 weeks I had a broken car so been using the bike through the nasty rain and the PR3's have been great, shed loads of grip even in terrible conditions, and they 'feel' good in the way they tip in :)

Before the PR3's I had two rears and a front of BT023's, first rear lasted 3900 miles before some very nasty cracks appeared, second lasted ~4300 miles till being very squared off (and combined with a distinct lack of tread on the front by that point), The grip was fine though, just poor life for me.

Also had Pirelli Supercorsa's when I got the bike, 800 miles later I got a nail in the rear but by then it was already pretty badly squared :eek:

Soldato
Tyres = Bridgestone BT023s
Bike = Kawasaki ER6f
Riding style = somewhat pansyish
Cost = no idea they were on the bike when I bought it
Expected mirage = don't know but I've put 3k on them and the front is still like new and rear has a fair bit of life in it

I will be getting pilot road 3s next as they seem well liked and I really like the look ofvthe tread pattern on them.

Last edited:
Associate
Tyres = Pirelli Rosso Corsa
Bike = 2008 Kawasaki ZX-10R
Riding Style = Nutter
Expected Mileage = 3-4k max (rear)
Cost = £270 for the pair fitted

Might also be worth mentioning pressures...?

Pressures: 36psi(f)/40psi(r)

Associate
Tyres = Bridgestone Trailwings

Bike = Suzuki DL 650

Riding style = Commuting with touches of hooligan.

Expected mileage = 8000miles or so

Cost = Came with the bike.

I have got some PR3s on order because these are terrible terrible tires, with about 4100miles on them so far.

Caporegime
just bought and fitted a pair of continental conti motion tyres

commute a lot,ride all year round!!!
zx10r 04
as much mileage as i can squeeze out of them!!!!!
£135 the pair 190/70/17
and 120/70/17

usually buy dunlop but so far im impressed with these tyres,good grip in dry and wet just hope they give good mileage

Last edited:
Associate
Tyres = Pirelli Sport Demons
Bike = Guzzi SP3
Pressures: 33/36psi
Riding style = Mixed commute / touring, also with occasional loss of sanity
Expected mileage = 10k front, 6k rear
Cost = £80 each

Just about to replace the front after 8k, it's starting to square off from some long-distance runs (plus the valve is broken :(). Can't complain about them but I'll be looking for some better wearing touring tyres next time I replace the pair.

Associate
Tyres = Metzeler Racetec

Bike = VTR 1000 SP1

Riding style = Track Riding

Expected mileage = 2-3 Track Days

Cost = £60

^^ Part worns

Tyres = Metzeler Racetec

Bike = VTR 1000 SP2

Riding style = Mixture of road riding

Expected mileage = 4-6000 Miles

Cost = £200

^^ Brand New

Soldato
Tyres = BT16's

Bike = Ducati 748

Riding style = Fast haha

Feel = They were great for the first 1000 miles, after that, they were washing out a lot on me. Felt as though they were covered in a layer of oil. Did not want.

Expected mileage = 3000/3500

Cost = N/A

NEXT

Tyres = BSB Super corsa's

Bike = Ducati 748

Riding style = Insane

Feel = Amazing, tons of grip, heat up fast. But after a ride near the end of their life, 2000 miles in, the rear showed chord on a ride back from Brighton... Not good for any sort of motorway riding.

Expected mileage = <2000

Cost = N/A

NEXT

Tyres = Diablo Supercorsa's

Bike = Ducati 1098/Ducati Hyermotard

Riding style = STUPIDLY INSANE!!

Feel = fantastic, best of both worlds, grippy, amazing feedback, long lasting, dual compound, just amazing. Can't fault them.

Expected mileage = 3500/4500 dependant on insanity level.

Cost = N/A

Right, reason for N/A for my tyres is I get them at very heavily discounted mates rates from my local tyre guy :) So price does not matter for me.

Hope my write up helps :)

Soldato
Tyres = BT020

Bike = F800

Riding style = Commuting / fun at weekends

Expected mileage = infinity

Cost = came with bike

I'm really tempted to replace them with newer rubber even though they have a few thousand miles left on them just the price is putting me off. PR3 and Road Smart's look really good.

Soldato
Current setup:

Tyres = Conti SM's
Bike = CCM R30 Supermoto
Riding style = Not insane but nore tame.
Expected mileage = 1500-2000.
Cost = Should be mid 80's but I get them at trade due to me being the godfather to three kids who's dad has many contacts.

Might try some Diablos next, but the Conti's have never skipped a beat.

Soldato
Tyres = Michelin Pilot Road 3
Bike = BMW F800S
Riding style = 70 miles a day commuting, also learning the IAM so occasional 150-200 mile day out round the countryside
Expected mileage = Front, plenty to go with 8k on them so far, rear, again plenty to go with about 5k on them

Cost = Fronts, £100, rears £140

Soldato
Michelin Pilot Power 2CT

Tyres = Michelin Pilot Power 2CT's.

Bike = Aprilia RSV Mille.

Riding style = Fast road with the occasional commute.

Expected mileage = 1500 - 3000 miles per year, max.

Cost = £190 at last MoT ( June 2011 ).

Pressures = 34f / 36r despite Aprilia saying the bike should be run with 36f / 42r. Ridiculous!!!.

I've had 2CT's on the RSV for absolute years, started off with the original Pilot Powers then along came the 2CT's which I've stuck with. Fantastic tyres, good feedback and feel, crazy good in the dry on a warm summers day and just as good in the wet on a miserable autumn evening. Very good wear rate, I get about 2000-2500k out of a rear 190 and maybe 4000k out of a front 120. The other thing I like about them is unlike some hoops, they tend not to go "off" as they wear and get nearer to the end of their serviceable life. There's no sudden tracking over white lines or tar lines/overbanding etc.

Awesome hoops, I can't see me changing them in the future for another type, they suit me and the bike as well as my particular riding style right down to the ground. :cool:

Last edited:
Associate
Tyres = Bridgestone BT021

Bike = R6

Riding style = Commuting, usually on the road at 6:30 so get bit of a blast in! Go out on dry weekends and ride it pretty hard at times

Expected mileage = 4k or so on the rear and hopefully a lot more on the front, I'd guess I'm half way there now the front is older than the rear. Read a lot of comments about the Tyre dropping off where the soft and hard rubber join leaving a lump there but I haven't hit that point yet

Cost = £110 for the rear fitted, think the front was the same but done in a more expensive place as I was in a rush

Previously had 014's and found them really sticky but I was only using my bike for fun, now I'm commuting on it they didn't last long enough so I'm trying their dual compound Tyre which has been okay so far but not as good as the 014's. I noticed lately it has started moving about a bit in the wet but I don't mind the bike moving around :cool:

Might try a different manufacture of tyre next, had pirelli diablo's on my RS125 and didn't like them much, but that might have been partly due to the bike as well

Last edited:
Soldato
My RSV manual says 2.2/2.4 bar (32/35psi) for solo use and 2.4/2.7 (35/39psi) for pillion use. I guess the early bikes must have been different?

Not sure, wouldn't have thought there would be a great degree of difference between pressures from Gen 1 to Gen 2 but there you go.

Aprilia and the handbook for Gen 1 bikes say 36f/42r but most folk run nowhere near that. Michelin quote for the Mille + Pilot Powers/2CT's 33f/36r and most guys I know who ride Gen 1 RSV's will run at or around those figures. Most tyre pressure threads on RSV Zone, RSVR.net and AF1 will confirm that and it is genuinely surprising to read just how many owners still sit with 36/42 and have no idea that if they adjust pressures down slightly they can benefit from much better handling characteristics. :cool:

Soldato
Hi There,
I may well be getting new tyres for my new CBR600F4 when it arrives in a week or so...

Just wondering, seen these... any good?

http://www.sticky-stuff.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=13642

http://www.sticky-stuff.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=1_128&products_id=13174

Both seem older tyres and I'm a noobie to biking so they'll be no knee down action so, will these be fine?

If not, what do people recommend for my bike? Don't want to be spending a fortune on a tyre though just to square it off in 2000 miles lol. Like I say no tracking and I won't be going mental on the thing so I don't need the best for the fastest bike out there BUT I wanna be safe as we all do...

dsb

dsb

Associate
Tyres = Bridgestone Trailwings

Bike = Suzuki DL 650 in the fastest colour!

Riding style = Fair weather pansy!

Expected mileage = not so many as 2 up most of the time 6k will be nice

Cost = Came with the bike.

First bike but apparently these are a poor tyre so will be able to tell better when they are replaced.

Associate
Tyres = Bridgestone Battlax TH01 - Front = 120/70-15, Rear = 160/60-15

Bike = 2008 Yamaha TMax XP500 MK3

Riding style = Daily commute - Motorway and local roads with lots of twisty fun, always ride it like I stole it.

Expected mileage = Front 12-15000 miles Rear 6-9000 miles on average.

Cost = £95 each, I take my wheels off and get the new tyres fitted, add £30 if I didn't.

Tyres = Bridgestone Battlax TH01 - Front = 120/70-15, Rear = 160/60-14

Bike = 2006 Gilera Nexus 500

Riding style = Daily commute - Motorway and local roads with lots of twisty fun, always ride it like I stole it.

Expected mileage = Front 12-15000 miles Rear 6-9000 miles on average.

Cost = £95 each, I take my wheels off and get the new tyres fitted, add £30 if I didn't.

Back
Top Bottom