• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

I5 cope with 3 monitors?

Associate
Just wondering if anyone has got a triple monitor setup on a ivy bridge I5 because I just upgraded my processor to i5 and am thinking of getting tripple monitor setup.

That or anyone know if It will cope with it etc. I did some googling but couldn't find anything.

Thanks

Permabanned
You could probably run three monitors off the IGP. But run three monitors is about all you'd be able to manage.

Edit: I thought you were talking about running three monitors off the IGP. As Nathan says, it's the cards you want to be worried about. And Crossfire 6950's should do it no problem.

Associate
OP
Yeah I know LOL I tested that before.

I'll have them set up as following.

1 - DVI
2 - DVI
3 - HDMI (adaptor to DVI)

All plugged into the top GPU

Soldato
Unfortunately that won't work - since the DVI/HDMI ports can only support a maximum of two monitors running at the same time.

Therefore, you will need to use an active displayport adapter like this to run all three monitors at the same time.

Associate
OP
ah ok, are they cheaper than that ? LOL

just yes or no is fine. I'll look around for one. So I'll get another dvi dvi cable for the 3rd monitor as well as that?

Soldato
If you hunt around you may get one a few quid cheaper, but these active displayport adapters all tend to be around £20+

There are adapters that look almost the same and are a good deal cheaper - but these will be passive (not active) and won't work with your configuration.

If you already have the HDMI to DVI cable then you may as well use that for one of the other monitors (since DVI and HDMI offer the same image quality). If you don't have either of these cables yet they I would go with a DVI DVI cables - so there won't be any initial setup scaling issues and the HDMI port is free if you ever need to plug in a TV.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yea, it does suck they are out of stock on OCUK. Unfortunately I can't give direct links to competitor sites (even though OCUK don't have the item), but I can point you to this AMD list of validated adapters and suggest you have a google search for "StarTech Mini DisplayPort to DVI Active Adapter".

May I ask what make and model number monitors you will be using?

I believe both your HD 6950 cards use mini-displayport outputs, not full-size displayport. So if you wanted to use that adapter you would need a mini-displayport (male) to displayport (female) adapter/cable. If one of these came with one of these cards or you are happy to buy one then the adapter you linked to would work.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ah, so the sapphire card has a full-size displayport. If you swapped around the cards then that full-size displayport (DP) to DVI adapter you linked to would work fine (with the sapphire card on the top).

Though I guess it would be less hassle to get a mini-DP to DVI active adapter instead.

Back
Top Bottom