The **Now Drinking** Thread

Soldato
Sierra Nevada torpedo. It's a superb version of their IPA which is superb.

Was at a whisky tasting event tonight, hosted by a bloke from Auchentoshan. 3 of them, and 3 Glen Garioch's. Superb night. £10 for 6 drams (and cheese). Great value. Bought a bottle of Glen Garioch Founder's Reserve afterwards which is going to be opened shortly. Wanted to get the Auchentoshan 18 but it was way out of my price range.

Soldato
That's it exactly. It's a shop that does the tastings, but they occasionally get distilleries in to host their own night and then it only costs £10 (compared to £15 for their own night). I've been to gin, port, and tequila nights as well and it's always a great way to try different drinks, for a great price and have a good laugh. There is nothing pretentious about it, just people wanting to have a good drink really!

The drinks tried you don't tend to see in shops, and you get 10% off anything tried so uou always go home with a bottle or two!

Soldato
never heard of anything around here which is a shame, im not the sort to buy a bottle of spirits i have never tried as its a hell of a drink to get through if it isnt something you can stomach.

might start looking. Newcastle isn't shy of drinkers so shouldn't be too hard :D after all it is like passport control between england and scotland :D i can say that, ive lived here 13+ years :o:cool:

Associate
IMG_0023.jpg

Coffee for now

Soldato
Stone Brewing Company IPA.

Sorry guys, but my beer taste is so much better than yours. I'm not sure if there's anything that can compete with this unless Mikkeller rises to the challenge...

It is THAT good. I'm sorry guys, but please get a bottle of their stuff. It's stupidly good. And, weirdly, God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen just came on my playlist. This beer is a true present.

Soldato
I appreciate the idea of supporting local business, and there are some fantastic beers from British brewers nowdays. However, they have nothing on the stuff coming out of America - especially California.
If you see any Sierra Nevada (you'll find their IPA in supermarkets), Stone or Ballast Point I'd urge you to get some.

Stone are very hop heavy, so if you're not a big hophead maybe avoid them. But, get involved with Sierra Nevada. I've mentioned it a few times in this thread, and some people have bought it on my recommendation. They have all enjoyed it!

I'm not a beer snob, nor do I have any loyalties. I just love beer that tastes fantastic and I'm keen for new experiences. Whilst British Ales are good, they are pretty stagnant. A few breweries are doing some interesting things (William Bros, Brewdog (*spit*), Fyne Ales), but on the whole British beer doesn't seem to be pushing any boundaries which is a shame since we have such great raw materials here!

Soldato
Homebrew

I appreciate the idea of supporting local business, and there are some fantastic beers from British brewers nowdays. However, they have nothing on the stuff coming out of America - especially California.
If you see any Sierra Nevada (you'll find their IPA in supermarkets), Stone or Ballast Point I'd urge you to get some.

Stone are very hop heavy, so if you're not a big hophead maybe avoid them. But, get involved with Sierra Nevada. I've mentioned it a few times in this thread, and some people have bought it on my recommendation. They have all enjoyed it!

I'm not a beer snob, nor do I have any loyalties. I just love beer that tastes fantastic and I'm keen for new experiences. Whilst British Ales are good, they are pretty stagnant. A few breweries are doing some interesting things (William Bros, Brewdog (*spit*), Fyne Ales), but on the whole British beer doesn't seem to be pushing any boundaries which is a shame since we have such great raw materials here!

American ales and especially IPAs seem very well layered, they blend and mix even bold flavors with some finesse, drinking only local ale is noble but realy you only do your self an injustice.

Back
Top Bottom