The 2012 Chilli growing thread - the second burn!

Associate
The 6-pack planted up,

DSCN0356.jpg

Cayennes,

DSCN0362.jpg

Hot Wax, Fresno, Anaheim and Rokita,

DSCN0363.jpg

Habernero's,

DSCN0364.jpg

Ornamentals

DSCN0384.jpg

DSCN0385.jpg

Lady Venus,

DSCN0389.jpg

Stop! Naga-time, lol

DSCN0388.jpg

Associate
all my chillies and peppers moved to the greenhouse now

top of the garden
IMG_0157.jpg

the big heated greenhouse
IMG_0149.jpg

the orange habs
IMG_0153.jpg

the bhut jolikas
IMG_0152.jpg

peppers flowering
IMG_0161.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

the bhuts again and cucumbers on floor with their frames
IMG_0154.jpg

Associate
thats the big greenhouse with the heater in, but there is also the smaller one at the side that is not heated.
the small one is full of flowers and plants for the garden and the pots

inside the smaller one
IMG_0156.jpg

IMG_0155.jpg

Soldato
Must keep you busy!

This year has been a bit of a disaster for me. I used last year's pea seed... no peas germinated. Sowed runner and broad beans outside... then it slashed it down for weeks... no germination. And this weather just doesn't put me in the mood to get the greenhouse prepared. :(

Associate
get it ready and get them in

definitely keeps us busy, plus there's the veg plot and the other raised beds we have veg in

it will be worth it though in a few months time when we are eating all our home grown produce

Soldato
Associate
Hmm, I should probably chop the tops off mine, they are getting a bit tall. But the flowers are coming through at the top, I don't want to lose them :(

Also, my 2 Tabasco plants are getting yellowing edges on their leaves, with small black spots on the very edges.
Mineral deficiency or something deadly? I have so far had 1 leaf fall off, but that might be because I investigated it too thoroughly.

Soldato
Got got problems.

My Scotch Bonnets are ok as they are inside (and still tiny) as can be seen below -

jay1J.jpg

I have had to move my four Apache's outside as I have zero space for them inside and it appears that they are dying or something! The leaves on some of the plants are drying out and some are going pale. They have been outside for one night and some bugger has been eating them!

rRsmE.jpg
5bl6s.jpg
vUWqX.jpg

What is one to do?

Associate
I've started leaving mine outside during the days now the weather's turned warmer. I will be taking them in at nights though, at least for now, until they get hardened off a bit.

Soldato
I grew a few chilli plants last year (well, bought seedlings), but want to grow some more now. Is it too late to grow from seed?

If not where's best to order from? I just need seeds really as I can source the compost and pots etc. already.

Associate
Ideally you should be started already, although I don't see any harm in trying. Even if you don't get a good crop this year you can try and overwinter them and get a head start next year?

I bought my seed last year in a 'end of season sale' at my local garden centre, but I have seen seed for sale in my local Sainsbury's (other supermarkets are available) so might be worth looking when your out and about.

Failing that just buy some fresh chillies you like and plant the seeds from those.

Good luck!

Associate
My first year growing and I have gone abit overboard and getting to the stage where i have no idea what to do with them, too many for window sills and tried a few outside and they seem to be doing worse than the indoor lot.

What would be the most economical way to house them, greenhouse and decent polly tunnels are abit more than i want to spend, the small 4 tier jobbies don't look so good and would only be useful till they grew to a certain height.

Got approx 80 plants in various stages from 4ft to 3inch atm, getting worried for when the small uns need potting up.

Not too worried if i have to give some away or thin the herd when i can tell which are the good uns, but would like to house them all if poss.

Associate
My first year growing and I have gone abit overboard and getting to the stage where i have no idea what to do with them, too many for window sills and tried a few outside and they seem to be doing worse than the indoor lot.

What would be the most economical way to house them, greenhouse and decent polly tunnels are abit more than i want to spend, the small 4 tier jobbies don't look so good and would only be useful till they grew to a certain height.

Got approx 80 plants in various stages from 4ft to 3inch atm, getting worried for when the small uns need potting up.

Not too worried if i have to give some away or thin the herd when i can tell which are the good uns, but would like to house them all if poss.

Wow, that is a lot!!

Give a bunch away. Chillies love heat and light. One of the plastic greenhouse jobbies might do to keep em warm till better weather comes (at a more consistent rate, anyhow!).

Don't really know what else to suggest to house that many :p

*edit* The 4 tier things can be made into 2 tier, or indeed 1 tier, increasing ceiling height :)

Associate
Yup went overboard, not all the same variety about 30 types, some ornamental like numex cent and twilight, some rare like Aussie black and Galapagos and the more edible ones too.

Long story short, needed a new hobby and went too far, but really enjoying it so far.

Good idea to look for free to collect greenhouses, thx.

Back
Top Bottom