The Manly Shaving Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
My tub of Proraso Shaving Soap is pretty much empty and I'm looking to buy something else this time (it does a good job but the residue it leaves on everything annoys me to no end).

Where do we stand on soaps, guys? It seems I'm looking at Mitchell's Wool Fat, Bluebeard's Revenge and one of the Taylor's (which is much more expensive, to be fair).

Soldato
Not used a safety razor before but this guy sold it to me so i'm thinking about getting the Edwin Jagger De89bl Chrome Plated Double Edge Safety Razor. Is this a good beginner razor to use? I'll be coming from a Mach 3 and is it worth the £21 from Amazon?

Soldato
Ive been testing some of the new Blue Beards Revenge shaving cream and its very very good, best product I've used in close to 30 years of shaving.

I'll try some out, the recommendation of an OAP when it comes to shaving experience and recommendations should be solid.

:D

Soldato
How do you guys find shaving around your adams apple? That guy in the video takes the razor straight down over it, but i cant as i have cut it before.

Soldato
Had my second shave last night and all I can say is RESPECT THE RAZOR..... cut my neck a few times but not sure if they were spots or because i'm clumsy. Got a bit more brave and went against the grain on parts of my neck and by my ears and it came away silky smooth with no incidents. Its definitely a confidence and experience thing.

Soldato
I really struggle to see the big deal about these razors... I've used a mach 3 turbo for years and the heads can be used for months before changing (admittedly they do go fairly blunt, but still do the job fine, and a wipe on a pair of old jeans helps). Also it's possibly 1 in 100 times a mach 3 will cut you!

So for me a safety razor wouldn't be any cheaper which seems to be the major plus point of it. There's the time aspect as well... I don't have more than 1-2 mins in the morning to shave, any longer and I wouldn't get to work on time! :o

Soldato
I really struggle to see the big deal about these razors... I've used a mach 3 turbo for years and the heads can be used for months before changing (admittedly they do go fairly blunt, but still do the job fine, and a wipe on a pair of old jeans helps). Also it's possibly 1 in 100 times a mach 3 will cut you!

So for me a safety razor wouldn't be any cheaper which seems to be the major plus point of it. There's the time aspect as well... I don't have more than 1-2 mins in the morning to shave, any longer and I wouldn't get to work on time! :o

Wake up earlier then :D

Until you've tried it with a DE razor you can't really compare. I can see how it does seem like a lot of hassle when you first look at it though.

At least try some shaving soap recommended in this thread as it will be a massive improvement to the canned rubbish that I'm assuming you use :)

Man of Honour
Well just arrived today!

1 off Merkur 34C Double Edge Razor (Safety razor)
1 off Feather Double Edge Razor Blades 10-pack
1 off Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Shaving Cream (150 g)

Going to have a go in a bit, will update :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom