Cheap and cheerful weekend car wanted

Don
Hi guys,

It's been a while since posting in Motors. Ever since buying a house ad starting a family my interest in Motors deteriorated somewhat, it might have something to do with driving an 07 Focus for the past 2 years :D

Anyway, I'm looking for a weekend car for the summer, something relatively quick and fun, back seats are preferred and around the £3k mark.

I was thinking something like an MX5? I take it RX8's are prone to failure? I wouldn't mind a hot hatch neither.

What would you recommend?

Thanks

Man of Honour
Well the MX-5 has no back seats so that's out then, but great fun if all you want is the odd blat cross country, though they are not quick, but then that really isnt the point of them. Errrr, that's me out of ideas then :(

Associate
i've also been looking through the ad's for a MX-5 and been to look at a few, but the lack of rear seats is the only thing that holds me back. but can't think of a car that is as fun, cheap, chuckable, but has 4 doors

Soldato
So much choice for 3k :)
Are you after a fast car or more of a back road blaster?

Fast (running costs aside) - 3000gt, Fiat Coupe, 300zx
Back road - Teg?

RX-7's dont always have rear seats as it was an option and i'm not sure you would want a 3k one :)

Last edited:
Don
OP
I actually meant an RX8, edited it now.

Ideally after something that I could blast round country roads, doesn't necessarily have to be that quick.

The Saab's, I've never been a great admirer of the older models, good spec though.

Soldato

Maybe I'm reading this wrong but I'd could a Saab 9-3 as more of a rep mobile than a weekend car :confused:

£3k probably gets you a decent Clio 1x2 or a touch and go Civic Type R. Both have back seats, drive well and all things considered are pretty cheap to deal with.

Man of Honour
For that money either a 200sx, CTR or try to find a bargainous ITR.

I take it the RX8 is a no no? Bad MPG and unreliable motor? Such a shame as I love the looks.

I think of RX8s like this - they are cheap to buy but it's very likely going to cost you a hell of a lot more to run/fix than other cars, therefore the actual "cost" of buying one is in fact thousands more than the purchase price.

Last edited:
Don
OP
I'm not fussed much about the costs for running it, buying something cheap I'm prepared for the MOT/Running costs (within reason), obviously if it's going to break down every 5 minutes then I wouldn't look at it. Pulsar GTi-R for example cost me an arm and leg to run.

Back
Top Bottom