Windows 7 repairing disc errors.

Associate
Hello everyone, got a new PC from OCUK 2 days ago and now im having problems.

I just need to find out why its not booting this morning, was fine yesterday, but now its saying windows is having trouble starting up, i believe the hard drive could be ****ed, my reasoning behind that idea is because when it wouldn't boot, i tried a fresh install of win7 to try and solve the problem but when it asked me to select a drive, the seagate 500gb that was there the first time didnt show up, im running system repair and its been going for the last 2 hours :rolleyes:

I'll only begin to worry if it cant sort the problem.
I am a tad confused as to why it didn't just load up, i mean, i haven't done anything to it, everything is the same and i shut it down properly.

Anybody know why this has happened and how to solve it?
I really need to get this working....

Soldato
Just a mad thought...have you checked all the wires are secure? It's been a really hot day again and things expand in the heat...the SATA cable could have come a bit loose. I ask because if you have bought the PC rather than the parts I'm guessing you're not one for rummaging around inside them.

Also, have you tried running something like HD Tune Pro to test the health of the disk?

Associate
OP
Yep its a pre built from OCUK, and i haven't went inside it yet.
I know OCUK is a good company, had a hard time convincing my parents otherwise! :/

Ill look inside and check the wires to the HD.

Soldato
Yeah I thought you might think that!

It's really simple, there will only be two cables going into the hard drive the data cable and the power cable, you only need to check the data cable which looks like this (colours may vary, usually red or black).

Just touch a radiator or something first to earth yourself to remove your static charge then just firmly push the cable into the hard drive to make sure it's in securely, then follow the cable and do the same with the motherboard.

It could be something as simple as that and if it is it saves lots of hassle and missing computer time going back to OCUK if it's that easy to sort!

Back
Top Bottom