Kerbal Space Program

Soldato
You've got to use the wings in combinations. Once you get it right once it becomes easy. Most things I try tend to fly to some level now, whether they're fun to fly is another matter. I know when I first started I could barely get something that was remotely stable in a straight line at first.
Anyone know of somewhere I can upload a few of the ship files where I don't have to register or anything and you can take a look.

Screenshot of my best plane
QfIAl.jpg

Will hit over 600m/s at approx 11km, any higher it starts to lose lift. Does about 190m/s at approx sea level. Can pull 9g turns :)D) and is easy to fly and land. Can load it up with cargo if you want to too.

I'd like some more shapes for wings, but once you get the hang of placing them where you want them it isn't too bad as it stands.

Man of Honour
if a plane is prone to flipping over backwards just after take off, what causes that. weight to far forward/backwards or what?
delta wing with front canards set up.

Man of Honour
Solved to ass heavy

Should be a heavy lifter, for an attached rocket. Upto about 15000m before decoupling. Posisbly much higher, once ram jets work.

58368388.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
if a plane is prone to flipping over backwards just after take off, what causes that. weight to far forward/backwards or what?
delta wing with front canards set up.

Depends, is the plane tumbling forward or back wards?
Usually its too much weight at the back, which is caused by several engines + fuel tanks, located at the back!
Its incredibly difficult too over come, an I found entire ship redigns where required to over come this. ie, start fresh, with new design!

You'll find, that having any more than 2 engines, directly at the back, will cause this instability!

Man of Honour
OOps, took of at to fast an angle and hit bottom 6 motors on runway, however it still flies with three engines, which is a good sign. Not sure separation is going to work though.

61812290.jpg

Soldato
Well i'm bored, been trying to come up with a table of Delta V values for common missions. Interesting maths, but somewhat hard to get your head round. Plus i came up with a value of 2425m/s for the Delta-V to achieve orbital velocity, not accounting for gravitational or atmospheric drag (or planetary rotation) and i worked out the Delta-V of a craft somebody said they managed to get into orbit and it was 2178. I mean, it used linear thrusters which are a bit overpowered but i don't think they would break the laws of physics.

Whatever, i'll come back to it later :p

Soldato
Well several hours later and i gave up on the delta-v calculations. Calculations for ships i can do. Calculations for maneuvers? Nah. No idea where i went wrong, but i got exactly the same value for a Munar transfer burn as a Minmus transfer burn. God damnit rocket science, why you gotta be so hard? :p

Man of Honour
Gave up on space planes, till more features are added, so i thought i would go to minimus. I forgot that the surface isn't at zero. so smashed into it at 2500m, well smashed into it at 40m/s

Soldato
Haven't gone there yet, but yeah - i do hear most people saying you should aim for the lakes.

I think the next stock part i would really like would be 'chunky' wheels so you can make rovers that aren't stupidly delicate/slow/hard to control and actually do some exploring.

This maths is really bugging me however, as far as i can tell the calculations aren't actually that hard, just long. And i'm an idiot :p

Soldato
Or too much lift at the front.

my one:
http://www.adamjwebb.aquiss.com/Pictures/randoms/Kerbal/plane1.png[IMG]

[IMG]http://www.adamjwebb.aquiss.com/Pictures/randoms/Kerbal/plane2.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

in your 1st image, the wing flappy things on the back of the delta's; how did you get them on that way?! on mine it wants to go on at some obscure angle xD

Soldato
in your 1st image, the wing flappy things on the back of the delta's; how did you get them on that way?! on mine it wants to go on at some obscure angle xD

Note that you can clip the snap angle button to get it to behave a bit better (subjectively!)
But yeah - as Glaucus said, qweasd :)

See people talking about delta-v calculations and stuff on the official forum. No idea what they're on about lol. Glanced at the summary of it and just felt stupid!

Associate
Lol. Great pictures.
Sadly VTOL craft are insanely difficult, not impossible too build + fly.

With players not having precise control over individual engines, the craft has too be perfectly balanced.. Or it tips over like you just experianced.
I had one example craft when testing experimental builds, that was insanely sensitive, an would eventually become too unstable too control resulting in eventual death..

Development an testing of KSP 15.1 is underway.
So expect an update with in days. (This update will unlikely break compatibility, with KSP 15 Release)

Back
Top Bottom