Do you leave your computer on all of the time?

Soldato
My PC is on 24/7 as it serves media to the PS3 and other PC's in the house, when its not in use its in low power mode so not all that bothered about it, uses around 100w at Idle.

Associate
Home PC - Off when not in use.
Work PC - On all the time, I have so much started up all day cant be bothered to shut it down and start it up every morning.
Office Mac - On all the time but goes to sleep after 30 mins quiet time.

Soldato
Turn it off when it is not being used. If I pop out for 30 mins on a Saturday say then I would leave it running but if I plan on being out for a while i'll switch it off!

Associate
Technically there will always be a minute power spike when you turn it on, which is why often things go 'bang' when switched on, when previously they had worked fine.

Also, hard disks are more likely to fail at startup. As an example, the vast majority of drive failures on servers are after extended power cuts (where the UPS has also drained) becuase this is the first time the drives have been powered down, often in years.

However we are talking having hardware for much longer than your average 'hardcore' PC user would have. Perhaps your granny would experience a PSU failing becuase of old age, but i would suggest that most people on here don't have a PSU older than 5 years.

Back
Top Bottom