£8 Tank Bag at Hein Gerricke

Soldato
If anyone hasn't had the pleasure of using a magnetic tank bag before and orders one of these, keep in mind a few things :-

1. Always, always give the underside of the tank bag a good brush down with your hand before fitting if you have taken it off and wandered around with it then returned to the bike to continue your journey.

2. Use something between the tank and the bottom of the tankbag to protect the paintwork. Something along the lines of a thin duster or cloth which will give protection but still allow the magnets to do their thing.

I personally wouldn't use a magnetic one again after owning several but I can't deny that this is a very good deal. I use an Oxford Sports tank bag with a tank fitted harness that it zips to which goes some way to helping prevent any paint damage and protects the tank. The Baglux ones go even further than this by covering almost the entire tank.

Just a few thoughts if you haven't used a tank bag of any type before. ;)

Associate
.......I personally wouldn't use a magnetic one again........

Seconded.....and I really do wish you had posted your advice 3 months ago, when I bought my tank bag. Two scratches on my tank now, not severe, just slight, stopped using the bag now. My bike is just over a year old now, having bought from new, bloody black too.....and why the hell do they insist on undercoating blacks with what appears to be white (had it with a black car too in the past)

Oh well...onward and upward I suppose.

Soldato
OP
If anyone hasn't had the pleasure of using a magnetic tank bag before and orders one of these, keep in mind a few things :-

1. Always, always give the underside of the tank bag a good brush down with your hand before fitting if you have taken it off and wandered around with it then returned to the bike to continue your journey.

2. Use something between the tank and the bottom of the tankbag to protect the paintwork. Something along the lines of a thin duster or cloth which will give protection but still allow the magnets to do their thing.

I personally wouldn't use a magnetic one again after owning several but I can't deny that this is a very good deal. I use an Oxford Sports tank bag with a tank fitted harness that it zips to which goes some way to helping prevent any paint damage and protects the tank. The Baglux ones go even further than this by covering almost the entire tank.

Just a few thoughts if you haven't used a tank bag of any type before. ;)

Thanks for advice :)

What I may do is, find a long piece of sheet or something similar, cut it to the same shape and size of the bottom of the bag, and glue it, so the bit of the tank bag that is stuck down to the bag will always have a cloth or something similar on it to protect it.

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
I'm taking that Good advice as well so Cheers Draeger I'll get some kind of matting to go under it, I couldn't resist the price though even if I only use it as a rucksack. :)

Soldato
OP
I'm taking that Good advice as well so Cheers Draeger I'll get some kind of matting to go under it, I couldn't resist the price though even if I only use it as a rucksack. :)

Exactly!

It would be good for a long trip somewhere to keep things like food, equipment or even clothes with you. I ain't even on the road yet on my new bike yet till next Thursday, but I did say I will grab one of these, and for this price I couldn't resist really!

Have to say 45T, we shall have to go out on a ride one day! Where about's are you located atall?

Associate
I absolutely ruined the paintwork on my Bonnie by scratching it to death with my magnetic tank bag. I then was advised to put gaffa tape over the tank to stop it getting scratched further, but that only ripped off a layer of lacquer when I took it off. Sad times.

That said, it's a fantastic deal - good find!

Soldato
OP
In the Midlands mate, Check out the Bike Meet Thread for when we get together or shout me if you're heading this way. :)

Where abouts in the midlands mate if you don't mind me asking? B'ham, Northampton etc? If its not to far, will have to ride down one day. Cherrs :)

Soldato
OP
Ooooo not far from me! Well, you wouldn't like to walk it haha! When I get a good few miles under my belt, will have to arange something like another bike meet if your up for it!

Back
Top Bottom