• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How to overclock a 7850 past 1050MHz?

Soldato
OP
I have been quiet for a while on this thread as my card easily hit 1200/6000 at 1.176 but the last week has been nothing short of torture.

I had atikmpag BSOD's which seemed to go away with trying different drivers. Now I am finding the majority of the times I cant get past BIOS without it blue screening.

Also I have 2 quick short beeps on my gigabyte when switching on and the program 'whocrashed' reporting driver errors.

I am starting to fear my card is dying and maybe needing RMA'd
BSOD's are usually CPU or RAM issues, especially at random intervals during the boot sequence.

Associate
I have been quiet for a while on this thread as my card easily hit 1200/6000 at 1.176 but the last week has been nothing short of torture.

I had atikmpag BSOD's which seemed to go away with trying different drivers. Now I am finding the majority of the times I cant get past BIOS without it blue screening.

Also I have 2 quick short beeps on my gigabyte when switching on and the program 'whocrashed' reporting driver errors.

I am starting to fear my card is dying and maybe needing RMA'd

If your gigabyte board has american megatrends bios like mine then that's a Memory parity error, although my board doesn't beep at all not even when it posts.

Associate
I came to the conclusion ASIC doesn't really mean anything in term of overcloking. My ASIC quality is 83.6%, which is pretty decent and probably a little above average... but my card overclocks like ****. Currently running 1000/1450 @ 1.075V 24/7 stable, I've tried pushing it to 1100mhz and I still can't get it stable at 1.15V which is very disappointing!

Associate
***Please resize image to no more than 1024 wide.***
Benchmarks for some mid-clock results
My card will not touch 1200 clock on any voltage so 1125/1500 @ 1.155v is my 24/7 setting since temps are low and i trust that voltage for lifespan.
Voltage may vary per card. Heaven score seems to be a give or take basis and never usually is identical.

Soldato
1172mhz wasnt stable in games for me. dropped out randomly at times in diablo 3 but weirdly didn't crash. i've went back to 1140 @ stock voltage to keep it stable.

Associate
Hey guys,

So Im completely new at OC'ing graphics cards, but seeing this thread I though Id give it a little go.

I can run heaven benchmark at the settings you all are on 1050 core and 1350 memory, but when I put the memory up to 1450 I just get a black screen when I run heaven. This is all at stock voltages.

I was under the impression that I could max amd overdrive at 1050/1450 on stock volts, is this not true?

Thanks

Soldato
Hey guys,

So Im completely new at OC'ing graphics cards, but seeing this thread I though Id give it a little go.

I can run heaven benchmark at the settings you all are on 1050 core and 1350 memory, but when I put the memory up to 1450 I just get a black screen when I run heaven. This is all at stock voltages.

I was under the impression that I could max amd overdrive at 1050/1450 on stock volts, is this not true?

Thanks

It is by no means guaranteed that you'll be able to reach the same clocks as someone else, as every card is different. What is your stock voltage out of interest?

Soldato
OP

Thanks
I have benched 3x 7850's.
#1 ran happily @ 1260 / 1500 @ 1.225v
#2 ran happily @ 1325 / 1500 @ 1.3v
#3 could only manage 1125 / 1375 @ 1.225v

I got lucky with the first two, but unlucky with #3. Nothing is guaranteed, but most will do 1175 / 1450 with a minor bump in volts. Core speed is much more important than memory on these cards. It doesn't matter too much if the memory clocks poorly, but a poor core will hit ultimate performance.

Soldato
OP
New cooler (TTII) should be coming in this week fingers crossed so should be able to push my card a bit more.
I got up to 1400MHz on the core with mine:D. It is benchable at that speed, but FAR from stable. 1325 is the max completely stable, but 1200 is plenty fast enough for 24/7. TTII is probably the best cooler for these cards.

Associate
Help! Sorry if I'm being daft guys.

I have CCC installed and can do the 1150 limit no issues. Now I've installed the Asus tool too, and checked all the right boxes... but still no program let's me go higher than 1150.

Card is an MSI 7850 TFIII.

What schoolboy error am I making :confused:

Associate
Help! Sorry if I'm being daft guys.

I have CCC installed and can do the 1150 limit no issues. Now I've installed the Asus tool too, and checked all the right boxes... but still no program let's me go higher than 1150.

Card is an MSI 7850 TFIII.

What schoolboy error am I making :confused:

Asus tweaker gives me the same limit. Use Sapphire Trixx it allows me to go nuts.

Soldato
@ jmp 78.

When using Asus GPU Tweak, have you clicked the advanced button (hexagon)?

With this enabled, go to settings/tuning and there should be a box to tick for "Overclocking range enhancement".

Soldato
Be good to know how you get on with trixx mate, i am still using afterburner 2.1 with my MSI 7850 and cant unlock voltage control. I just dont know if changing to a different program to overclock my card with will ruin how well it seems to run overclocked to 1050mhz on stock. Can you run say afterburner and trixx?

Soldato
Could someone kindly do a Heaven bench in 1680x1050? Preferably at 1150Mhz or 1200Mhz... Just want to compare to my 580 and comparing scores across resolutions is hard :o

Back
Top Bottom