• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How to overclock a 7850 past 1050MHz?

Associate
In case anyone is having trouble with using Afterburner to overclock past the limits, have a look at this thread which tells you how to fix it:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=359671

Short version: Download the two .dll files and modify two lines in the config files.

I did it and it works and lets you overclock way further than the usual Afterburner limits!

This did work but still did not unlock voltage tweak.

Associate
Guys,

Just a quick question. How does a well overclocked 7850 compare to a 580? Thinking of moving to a lower powered/cooler system.

Also, has anyone got an idea of how they perform in xfire?

Thanks in advance.

Rob

Soldato
OP
Guys,

Just a quick question. How does a well overclocked 7850 compare to a 580? Thinking of moving to a lower powered/cooler system.

Also, has anyone got an idea of how they perform in xfire?

Thanks in advance.

Rob
An overclocked 7850 @ 1150MHz core offers similar performance to the GTX580. With both cards overclocked to the max, the GTX580 is faster, but not by much.

Associate
I seem to remember people on this thread complaining that the MSI 7850 PE had a high stock voltage of 1210 and didn't allow increases. I thought the same thing when I got mine, but in my case it seems that way because GPU-Z 0.62 doesn't read VDDC right on this card.

I finally managed to get Afterburner (ver. 2.21) fully working (by fiddling with the .cfg files as in the link a few posts earlier) and it shows VDDC as 1134. Whatever I set it to in Afterburner, GPU-Z still reads 1210 (and so does Trixx). However, upping the voltage in Afterburner raises the GPU temp under load so I think Afterburner is reading it right, and the other utils aren't.

Still not a particularly low VDDC (my ASIC is about 76%), but will try OCing later and see how it goes. I'll post back with some results...

Associate
Hmmm, might wanna double check that you've ticked the 'Unlock Voltage Control' and 'Unlock Voltage Monitoring' boxes in the General tab of the settings menu.

It is checked, and under the MSIconfig file i changed the unlockvalue and such on to 1. Still nothing. I have no problem with sapphire trixx but would just prefer to use 1 program to run oc and fan monitoring.

Associate
It is checked, and under the MSIconfig file i changed the unlockvalue and such on to 1. Still nothing. I have no problem with sapphire trixx but would just prefer to use 1 program to run oc and fan monitoring.

I managed to unlock clocks and voltages in Afterburner, but I did have to uninstall all drivers and GPU related stuff first. Then installed Catalyst 12.4 without CCC, and downloaded the latest Afterburner (2.2.1) from MSI's website. The cfg tweak worked to unlock core clocks, and ticking the boxes in Afterburner unlocked voltage adjustment.

Caporegime
Flashed the Asus Top BIOS onto my MSI Twin Fozr III and it now allows voltage above 1.225.

I haven't got an amazing clocker though as it needs 1.25 to hit 1200 :(. Asic is 83%.

Any indication as to 'safe' 24/7 voltage on these? I'm a bit dubious about pushing towards 1.3v considering the original BIOS was locked to 1.225 max.

Last edited:
Associate
After playing around with it for a bit, it seems like it doesn't seem to like Lucid MVP. Could an overclocked iGPU be causing problems?

Lucid MVP seem's to cause more problem than good. Do the issues go away when you disable it? If they do you could always go in to the MVP options and disable hyperformance for BF3.

Associate
Hi all,

I have my 7870 at 1150 on core and 1300 on memory and all is good but when I push it to1200mhz at stock volts it runs fine in games but sometimes the drivers will crash or pc will reboot when pc is ideal when monitor has went to sleep.....should I try more volts and what is safe 24/7?

Thanks I know this thread is for the 7850 but seemed like a good place to ask...

Soldato
Guys can someone do me a huge favor

Please run the heaven benchmark and carefully watch the two dragon statue scenes (not long from the start) can you see any weird black lines flickering?

This looks to me like artifacting but with the new error checking (and also keeping in mind past issues between this benchmark software and catalyst drivers) I just need to be certain my card is ok.

Thanks!!!

Associate
Well it's official; my card sucks at overclocking.

It will happily reach max catalyst settings on stock voltage (1050core, 5600mem) but regardless of voltage/board power settings and even dropping the ram back to stock the core refuses to do 1100 and complete a heaven run. Any deviation above max catalyst clocks (or even bumping up the voltage without adjusting the clocks at all) results in gfx driver crash/resets.

ASIC of 91.6% too. Oh well...

Associate
[Damien];22083901 said:
Well it's official; my card sucks at overclocking.

It will happily reach max catalyst settings on stock voltage (1050core, 5600mem) but regardless of voltage/board power settings and even dropping the ram back to stock the core refuses to do 1100 and complete a heaven run. Any deviation above max catalyst clocks (or even bumping up the voltage without adjusting the clocks at all) results in gfx driver crash/resets.

ASIC of 91.6% too. Oh well...

Yep, I think ASIC is not that important after all. It just has something to do with stock voltage, but really even tho stock voltage are lower then average it doesn't mean the card will OC better.

Soldato
as I've said before ASIC means nothing when overclocking the 7850s

I've had two well into the 80s and both were dire. Seen one in the 70s which goes like a monster

Back
Top Bottom