Woman refused bus travel at 3am for being 20p short on bus fare is raped... What would you have done

Associate
if i had 20p i would have offered it but in reality its her own fault for overspending and non of the bus passengers or the driver can take any of the blame for what happened to her on that night.

im sure she was more than aware what the bus cost.

why didnt she get the bus but get off a few stops earlier than her destination and have her mum meet her there?

20pence is probably 3-4stops at most

flat fare on night buses? It is round here.

Soldato
yes of course you would have all given her the 20p :rolleyes:

NO YOU WOULDNT HAVE. be honest - you see this everyday on the bus at various times of the day - nobody does anything apart from say stupid man/stupid women / trying to get on the bus for less.

its unfortunate what happened to this individual but the amount of bs in this thread is astronomical.

with hindsight im pretty sure everyone would have stumped up 20p or let her on for free.
exactly - if only we knew who was going to be attacked/raped by not getting on public transport hey. So easy to say I would have done this now that we know something has happened.

Last edited:
Associate
As others have said I would have given her the 20p. At the very least i'm happy that the rapist was caught, as if it hadn't been for her mother coming to collect her there might not have been an officer on patrol to arrest him.

NO YOU WOULDNT HAVE. be honest - you see this everyday on the bus at various times of the day - nobody does anything apart from say stupid man/stupid women.

Perhaps during the day but 3am is a different story.

Last edited:
Soldato

NO YOU WOULDNT HAVE. be honest - you see this everyday on the bus at various times of the day - nobody does anything apart from say stupid man/stupid women.

its unfortunate what happened to this individual but the amount of bs in this thread is astronomical.

My wife and I have given people money for the bus or at the checkout lots of times. I have seen others do this as well. It seems to be a perfectly normal instinct for lots of people.

Man of Honour
As the driver I wouldn't feel that bad, he is just doing his job and if he gave everyone who was short of cash money then he would be losing out on money all the time. I would feel more guilty if I was a person at the front of the bus as it would be more of a one off kind of thing.

Is this story actually true. I want a link to the newspaper article. Sounds like it's made up.

9/10 bus drivers I've ever had the misfortune of running into would bend over backwards not to help you. You get the odd decent one but most seem to be the most obnoxious, self-centered people I've ever met... granted they can get quite a lot of stick from the general public so to a degree I don't blame them being a bit abrupt and not rushing to help but most seem to take pleasure in actually being as rude and unhelpful as possible.

If it had been during daytime I'd have said fair enough she could wait for the next bus, but 3am really? if he doesn't have the decency to wait a couple of minutes at 3am for a potentially vulnerable person he doesn't deserve the oxygen hes breathing.

As for what I'd do I'm not really sure its easy to say yeah sure I'd have given her the extra change, probably at that time of night I would have done but generally I've seen too many people trying it on or short of money through their own stupidity, etc. to be too ready to offer to help these days and even when you do most people aren't particularly grateful.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I would have for a FACT, I always help people out at my local shop at night when people come up short, I've even bought tramps beers before that didn't have enough money when they come in (yeh I don't care, what the hell else are they going to do) so please don't assume that we are liars.

Soldato
OP

NO YOU WOULDNT HAVE. be honest - you see this everyday on the bus at various times of the day - nobody does anything apart from say stupid man/stupid women / trying to get on the bus for less.

If the woman had got on, the driver said she didn't have enough, and she'd got off again, I wouldn't have batted an eyelid.

But sitting on the bus while she pleaded with the driver for nearly 10 minutes? I think I would have handed over the 20p at that stage.

Soldato
If the woman had got on, the driver said she didn't have enough, and she'd got off again, I wouldn't have batted an eyelid.

But sitting on the bus while she pleaded with the driver for nearly 10 minutes? I think I would have handed over the 20p at that stage.
perhaps you have a point, but 3AM - im sure most people on that bus didnt even know what day it was let alone bothered to get up to give her some change. In fact its the equation of early hours in the morning + alcohol + rowdy individual that most people hate and start complaining for the bus driver to get a move on, more than assisting .

and for people saying the driver is a scumbag really? Hes doing his job - and nothing about what happened after the women got off the bus was his fault

Last edited:
Associate
At the end of the day the bus driver was only doing his job and following his company policy.

However, at that time of night im suprised no one on the bus stumped up the 20p to help the poor lass out.

Soldato
A young woman on her own in the middle of town at 3am? Without a doubt I would have given her the 20p, and the driver would have gotten a few choice words too...

As far as I'm aware, many bus (and taxi) services have a policy of giving priority and leniency to young women alone late at night (for this very reason). I knew a few people who worked for First in Bath when I lived there, and I'm sure they mentioned this.

and for people saying the driver is a scumbag really? Hes doing his job - and nothing about what happened after the women got off the bus was his fault

I don't think he is a scumbag but I do think in these circumstances knowing that a young girl was desperate to get home and would be left out in the dark I think he should have let her on, at the very least he could have done is just drop her a little bit before her stop if he is that fussy about the 20p.

Permabanned
Can't see why the bus or driver is even mentioned here.

I'd 100% back up any of my drivers who chose to refuse travel to someone who didn't have enough money. Would the same person go into a pub and order a pint if they knew damn well they didn't have the means to pay for it? No. So why would it even enter your head to consider trying to use a service that you can't pay for.

It's not particularly pleasant, but the top and bottom is that there were a series of events that led to her being in the wrong place at the wrong time. She had full control over some of those events and chose instead to believe that a bus operator and its associated passengers are some sort of registered charity.

On the flip side of this, I would back up 100% any of my drivers who would have let her travel, either for a reduced fare or for free. She's alone, in a city and its the middle of the night.

Back
Top Bottom