Woman refused bus travel at 3am for being 20p short on bus fare is raped... What would you have done

Man of Honour
yes of course you would have all given her the 20p :rolleyes:

NO YOU WOULDNT HAVE. be honest - you see this everyday on the bus at various times of the day - nobody does anything apart from say stupid man/stupid women / trying to get on the bus for less.

its unfortunate what happened to this individual but the amount of bs in this thread is astronomical.

Maybe that is true down south. It isn't when you have decent people involved.

If I had it I would have given the money no matter were I was on the bus. Maybe this is wrong of me but it would have depended who that person was. If I felt she was going to be a typical vicky pollard type then I probably wouldn't of. Im not perfect but I have offered £1 towards a bus fair to a stranger before. Its just decent. curse my hate for the pollard family though!

Soldato
While I'd have given her the money (done it before) - was she drunk?, as people are reluctant to get involved with drunk people in any fashion on a bus generally at that time of night (understandably in dodgy areas) people try to keep to themselves.

It's a terrible turn of events, but I don't think anybody is really at fault (Apart from the scumbag who did the crime).

It could have been avoided by her not going out, by having the change for the bus, ordering a cab, staying with friends, by the driver letting her off 20[, by a passenger giving her the money, by selecting a public place to wait for the pickup - we can go over this list ad infinitum - to apply blame at just the people on the bus may not the fairest thing to do (as any of the above could have prevented it).

Man of Honour
i would have.

the bus driver really needs to share some of the blame though - if the cashpoint was so close he should have waited the couple of minutes.

No he doesn't, what a ridiculuse statement. He's doing his job. Does he let everyone on at 20p under. What happens if it's a £ under. He's got a job to do and he did it. There's only one person to blame and that's the criminal.

If I was near the front of bus I would have given some to her, if she didn't look like a chav.

Soldato
If the woman had got on, the driver said she didn't have enough, and she'd got off again, I wouldn't have batted an eyelid.

But sitting on the bus while she pleaded with the driver for nearly 10 minutes? I think I would have handed over the 20p at that stage.

The bus being held up for almost 10 minutes at 3am? Honestly, I think most people would have been telling the driver to throw her off so they could get home.

But it's not the driver's fault she was attacked, or anyone else's on that bus. They didn't know it would happen, and nor could you if you had been there. So be honest: if you admit you wouldn't have given her the 20p, nobody's going to think you're happy to turf women off buses to be raped.

Permabanned
In fact - are those forms still being used on buses? Why didn't the driver give her one?

Not in my company (one of the big 3 operators).

People just make up names and addresses to get away with it.

Plus we run into a whole load of **** when drivers are asking women and children for personal details.....

Soldato
To the people saying she should have known the fare was £5 and made sure she had enough... bus companies put their fares up all the time. Do we know that the fare wasn't recently increased and she wasn't aware of this?

No he doesn't, what a ridiculuse statement. He's doing his job. Does he let everyone on at 20p under. What happens if it's a £ under. He's got a job to do and he did it. There's only one person to blame and that's the criminal.

If I was near the front of bus I would have given some to her, if she didn't look like a chav.

He has a responsibility as a human being, no of course he doesn't let everyone on that is 20p short, that would be ridiculous, but you have to look at the circumstances, maybe this is the one time he should have let someone on that was short, it's all very well saying he was just following protocol but where do you draw the line between protocol and common sense and decency, I don't think the driver is to blame but he definitely should have taken her on, we all have a responsibility beyond our job to make sure people are safe and no respectable manger or boss will condemn you for that, just as that was demonstrated by andyp's post previously.

I'd be surprised if the bus operator operates a policy that doesn't allow for leniency for at risk groups.

Exactly, it was a bad call by the driver imo.

Soldato
To the people saying she should have known the fare was £5 and made sure she had enough... bus companies put their fares up all the time. Do we know that the fare wasn't recently increased and she wasn't aware of this?

Well you seem to be aware that 'bus companies put their fares up all the time' so knowing this would you carry around the exact amount you needed or would carry a little extra to cover any increase.

Soldato
OP
Not in my company (one of the big 3 operators).

People just make up names and addresses to get away with it.

Plus we run into a whole load of **** when drivers are asking women and children for personal details.....

Fair enough. It was a good 12-13 years ago that I'm talking now (eugh, getting so old).

Soldato
If I was a driver I'd imagine I would face a lot of people who are short by 20p, so I would quickly realize that if I pay for them I would not lose a lot of money in the long term.

So I would make a policy of not paying for customers, so as a driver I would not pay 20p.

As a passenger I would give her 20p, only because it was 3am and she was a female.

Soldato
Decent people don't make sweeping generalisations about a whole region of people.

I am from London and live on the south coast. I lived abroad for several years and when I came back to the UK I was amazed at the difference.

People in the South are in the main nowhere near as friendly or considerate of others as the rest of the country.

Man of Honour
He has a responsibility as a human being, no of course he doesn't let everyone on that is 20p short, that would be ridiculous, but you have to look at the circumstances, maybe this is the one time he should have let someone on that was short, .

there is no line to be Shawn, he was doing his job. There isn't a line to be drawn. How many drunk people do you think try getting on the bus short. Tons and tons.

Soldato
there is no line to be Shawn, he was doing his job. There isn't a line to be drawn. How many drunk people do you think try getting on the bus short. Tons and tons.

My local bus company has a policy of not refusing any single women late at night if they are short. If this company had the same policy then maybe they would have let some people travel for free but this women would not have been raped.

Back
Top Bottom