Woman refused bus travel at 3am for being 20p short on bus fare is raped... What would you have done

Wise Guy
Soldato
Did you actually just say that?

What if she was alone and drunk at 3AM in whatever the rapiest city in South Africa is (rape capital of the world)?

Her fault or the rapists fault?

The rapist is not much more than an animal responding to stimulus. He should be put down as such with a noose around his neck too.

Permabanned
If the bus driver was being an arse, which lets be honest the ones like this usually are massive jobsworths, then I would have got up and given her 20p. The bus drivers that are like this need to stop elevating their own job, had one the other week that full on moaned at me because he had to give me a pound coin out of his wallet because he didn't have any change and I'd given him a fiver - what has that got to do with me!

Why not play the game and don't expect the driver to be a mobile branch of Barclays.

It has everything to do with you - get on with the right change, or be prepared to lose your fiver for the day until you can pick your change up from the depot or traffic office.

I deal with way too many people like this week in, week out. People who think their backsides should be wiped for them by everyone they meet. Nothing is their fault when usually it is. I enjoy writing the replies to their complaints, put it that way :)

Soldato
Because in this country money > humanity on many occasions. i.e, the bus driver was probably in fear of his job if he were to give a discount (of a pathetic 20p) and those on the bus must have been a mixture of the tight and those who don't have much money themselves.

Last edited:
Wise Guy
Soldato
All these people saying let her off 20p do you just give random discounts to people in your job?

OcUK I want to buy a highend PC but dont have the monies, will you let me have it £200 cheaper?

I will rape L0rdMike if his demands aren't met. Don't let that guilt be on you.

Man of Honour
I'm with kwerk.

Out at 3AM, alone, drunk, and possibly dressed like a **** is simply asking to get raped. Did she do this every weekend?

There are two ways to learn lessons, and one way is the hard way. This one was learnt the hard way sadly :(. I mean, they taught us not to do this kind of stuff in Primary and Secondary PSHE lessons, not to mention parenting (or lack thereof).

Obviously, a wrong and deplorable act has been committed, but there are simple things one can do to reduce risks of becoming a victim.

I know for a fact that if this woman had been high on cannabis, and not demented by the terror that is alcohol, she would still have had the sense to not go wandering off alone into the night. (depending on her attitude while sober)

There is nothing to blame other than alcohol and/or the girls attitude with or without the presence of alcohol. Rapists will simply always exist.

o_O

Being drunk does not make a rape your own fault. It's totally baffling that you are suggesting that.

Soldato
I haven't read the whole thread but in the Driver's defence if he was found out letting people off fares I'm sure he wouldn't have a job now.

It is completely tragic but it's really harsh to blame the driver

Soldato
o_O

Being drunk does not make a rape your own fault. It's totally baffling that you are suggesting that.
Hmm I didn't say that.

To clarify, the several things she done; drunk, late, possibly dressed like a prostitute, and being alone all severely increased her risk of becoming the victim of any criminal. It could have been a purse snatch.

Criminals will always walk the streets, other than the ones already in jail there's nothing we can do about the ones who are going to commit crime in the future. Unfortunately there was one such person in her vicinity when she was in this state.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I'll rephrase that then, there's only three with fangs!

Go-Ahead hardly ever feature on the radar commercially in my organisation, which I get the impression is the same one you either work for or did in the past.

I no longer work for the transport industry and it wasn't Go-Ahead in any case.

There are actually the Big 5 if you include NX.....but we were discussing stage work so there are four major bus operators in the UK who hold the vast majority of contract work, and this includes Go-Ahead Group which has similar operations to Stagecoach (within the UK) which are significantly smaller than First Group and to some extent Arriva in their UK operations.

But overall it is a smaller group than the others.

In any case it doesn't detract from what I stated in relation to the four operators who hold the vast majority of bus networks in the UK.

Man of Honour
Hmm I didn't say that.

To clarify, the several things she done; drunk, late, possibly dressed like a prostitute, and being alone all severely increased her risk of becoming the victim of any criminal. It could have been a purse snatch.

Criminals will always walk the streets, other than the ones already in jail there's nothing we can do about the ones who are going to commit crime in the future. Unfortunately there was one such person in her vicinity when she was in this state.

I understand what you are saying more now, but I think the emphasis should be need for people to take precautions rather than any foolishness on behalf of the victim.

Soldato
Hmm I didn't say that.

Criminals will always walk the streets, other than the ones already in jail there's nothing we can do about them. Unfortunately there was one in her vicinity when she was in this state.

But we CAN do something - we can let women on the bus for the sake of 20p in the middle of the night!

Or are you suggesting everybody dresses down, doesn't drink, and carries exact change with them at all times just in case? Seriously, I would hate to live in the world some of you people seem to want.

Associate
Sensationalism at it's finest.

Rape is always proceeded by a sequence of events in which brings the victim and the rapist together. The fact the bus driver refused her on the bus is totally irrelevant. He's no more guilty than any other person that happened to interact with the rapist, assuming they're not directly involved in premeditative planning of the crime. For example, if he traveled by bus then that bus driver is no more or less involved in the sequence of events that brings them together than the one that refused the victim travel based on perfectly acceptable grounds.

I'm not saying its her fault but she should have just gone as far as £4.80 would take her. Walking is not hard.

As a bus driver I would not have let her on. You need to draw the line somewhere and the more frequently you are subjected to such events the closer you need to align yourself to a ridged set of rules to standardise the way you deal with them.

As a passenger I would have given her 20p since its a relative one off, and you're less likely to encounter such events than say a bus driver.

Back
Top Bottom