Failing a CBT

Associate
I might take one soon, feel i will fail though, had a brief lesson the other day and felt pretty spaced out. Maybe i am too old and passed it or maybe i just haven't been out of my comfort zone for so long that it's all a bit overwhelming. The instructor seemed to indicate that i am not ready for a CBT although most people just dive right into a CBT without even a lesson and pass it. Ah. 10 years ago i would have walked it but now i am a different person. Who passed their CBT first time, and also first time being on a bike?

Soldato
cbt is not a test.. its a course.. you cant fail it .. but you may be asked to come back and have more practise . if yer worried do it on a twist and go rather than geared .

My son had a rough day on his cbt . to many people (4 chavs on peds) and my son on a geared bike.. Instructor was busy watching the chavs so my son never got much time so they invited him back the next day FOC and spent the day 1 on 1 with him

Soldato
I did mine, never sat on a bike, always been a car nutt... 37 years old, although I'd say I'm not a "natural" biker, I had no problem getting the CBT certificate. However, if you're not confident, tellt hem this and they'll give you the encourage/instruction you need. If not, then go elsewhere. I went CamRiders in Chester, superb guys and gals there, very very supportive and they take the **** also!

Associate
I did mine having never even ridden a twist and go or anything before. I loved it but also felt quite overwhelmed with the amount of hand controls, foot controls and then head movement in the carpark, never mind on the road. Got onto the road portion, stayed calm, enjoyed myself, and passed easily although I did get told to ride faster :p. As long as you are comfortable on the bike and don't do anything dangerous you will be fine.

Associate
You can fail, they wont give you a certificate. Cant belive people say you cant fail, of course you can otherwise every idiot that goes for a cbt will come out with a certificate even if they ride like a fool..

Soldato
As above, you can fail. However, it's not particularly hard, and the main thing people struggle with is confidence. Most places will let you come back the next day to correct what you were lacking.
I did mine first time after never riding, and only being pillion a couple of times. I did my research on bikes before I went, so it wasn't complete information overload, made the day much more pleasant as I already knew all the controls. The day itself was fantastic, had great fun, and I knew from that moment I'd love biking!

Associate
I say go for it, maybe see how many different CBT instructors are in your area.

I did a CBT 6 years ago, flew through it on a 600cc which was crazy and the instructor was an idiot.

Fast forward 6 years, I did my CBT, had to come back as I was a nervous wreck but the second sighting on this CBT was spot on and my instructor was awesome! (different instructor) Now I am sat here with a 2007 650 suzuki bandit sat in my front room after having driven 300 miles there and back to get it today :)

So just go for it. Ignore the ped boys and chavs and make a point to the instructor that your nervous. One good CBT run and you will be booking DAS:D

Associate
OP
I say go for it, maybe see how many different CBT instructors are in your area.

I did a CBT 6 years ago, flew through it on a 600cc which was crazy and the instructor was an idiot.

Fast forward 6 years, I did my CBT, had to come back as I was a nervous wreck but the second sighting on this CBT was spot on and my instructor was awesome! (different instructor) Now I am sat here with a 2007 650 suzuki bandit sat in my front room after having driven 300 miles there and back to get it today :)

So just go for it. Ignore the ped boys and chavs and make a point to the instructor that your nervous. One good CBT run and you will be booking DAS:D

Thanks guys, good advice, just what i needed and yes Brackish i think i do need another instructor which i will will seek.

Associate
I also used to think it was hard/impossible to fail.. right up until my missus did just that!

Unfortunately the school she went with were not very helpful and she was the only geared bike in a group of 9 bikes (the rest were peds). It obviously took her much longer to get used to the bike and get used to the gears. She was told she could not complete her CBT as it would not be safe for her to go out on the road without extra training.

To be honest they were a bunch of ******'s though.

Associate
I technically shouldnt have passed my cbt because i couldnt do a u-turn when asked. However the instructor knew i was acting safe on the road and knew i had no intention of buying a 125cc and going on the road, but rather that i was going to do my DAS with them.

Soldato
its just an excuse for the government to squeeze some more money out of you,you cant fail it

Personally I think the CBT has been one of the few good ideas introduced and absolutely worth while. Anything that prevents 16/17 year old talentless muppets from riding a bike on the road with no experience whatsoever has to be a good thing.

Soldato
You can fail, they wont give you a certificate. Cant belive people say you cant fail, of course you can otherwise every idiot that goes for a cbt will come out with a certificate even if they ride like a fool..

You'd better believe it because it's training, not a test. If you are particularly untalented it can take longer to achieve a basic level of competence. If you are spectacularly useless you might decide to give up first, but you haven't failed the CBT (just failed at life). Like a Bronze swimming certificate, it simply indicates you have achieved a minimum level of competence, it's not graded and there is no pass/fail.

Soldato
Personally I think the CBT has been one of the few good ideas introduced and absolutely worth while. Anything that prevents 16/17 year old talentless muppets from riding a bike on the road with no experience whatsoever has to be a good thing.

Never a truer word spoken.

Caporegime

theyll turn into muppets anyway!!! the second they receive there cbt certificate

its car drivers you need to educate not bikers!!

Associate
You'd better believe it because it's training, not a test. If you are particularly untalented it can take longer to achieve a basic level of competence. If you are spectacularly useless you might decide to give up first, but you haven't failed the CBT (just failed at life). Like a Bronze swimming certificate, it simply indicates you have achieved a minimum level of competence, it's not graded and there is no pass/fail.

Which is the same thing, you dont pass the training so you fail in getting a certificate...

Back
Top Bottom