BT Infinity - Laptop 35Mbps, desktop 15Mbps..!?!

Associate
So, I had BT Infinity installed recently, 40Mbps.

When I run SpeedTest on my Vaio laptop or HTC smartphone, I get approx ~35Mbps.

On my main rig however, using homeplugs, I get ~15Mbps. I therefore bought a flashy wireless adaptor with High Gain antenna... and still get ~15Mbps.

Main rig is bang up-to-date, 3570K, Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z, 8GB RAM... am confused why connection is so much slower?

Help :confused:

Associate
OP
Homeplugs are both 85Mbps, and desktop wireless adaptor is 150Mbps.

Just seems odd that both of these get half the speed of a mid-range, year old Vaio laptop, and an HTC mobile phone :confused:

Associate
Try transferring a large file from laptop to desktop and see if it exceeds 15mbit average. That'll rule out anything between them on the LAN and narrows down the scope of the issue.

Also remember speed tests sites are pretty unreliable as a rule. Try using the larger test files on www.thinkbroadband.com over HTTP port 80 and time it.

Bry

Bry

Associate
on your laptop when u get 35mbps you dont say what connection medium you are using? wireless? wired? ethernet over power?

and 85mbps homeplugs and even 150mb wifi wont cut it. You need 200-500mb ethernet over power and wireless unless your really right next to it you won't get 40mb. The quoted speeds are maximums based off a ideal network.

Associate
OP
Okay, bit more testing.

Laptop with new USB Wireless Adaptor = ~35Mbps.
Desktop with new USB Wireless Adaptor = ~15Mbps.

Both in same part of house, on same desk.

Therefore... must be something to do with the actual desktop computer!?! :confused:

Soldato
Do you happen to have someone else in the house who is more in control of the router than you (like an older brother or a tech savvy dad?) Just remotely (I mean REMOTELY) possible the router could then have been set up with a bandwidth limit (depending on the router) based on computer name. If you're still using the BT hub then forget this idea.

Edit - checked your profile and the above looks rather unlikely :D

Associate
OP
Is the desktop PC powered by a small elderly hamster?

Close, badger. 750W one though.

I guess trying ethernet direct from the router to the PC is the next obvious step, just a pain due to locations of components! Will give a go in the next few days. Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Back
Top Bottom