Create a muilti boot flash drive (XP & Vista)

Soldato
Guys, get one of the these

Copy all your ISO's onto it and use it as a virtual CD/DVD. BIOS sees it as a USB DVD Drive with whichever ISO you have selected. You can use it as a USB HD also.

I would be lost without this!

Soldato
OP
I never thought it was possible! Do they all boot via a menu?

Yes.

xboot.JPG

However I might have been a bit quick with the xboot as my test system (one of my own laptops 100% OK) BSOD after the file copy section.

Further testing required methinks.

Might be an issue with XP only though, so will use Xboot for Vitsa & 7 and WinSetupFromUSB for XP (screenshots to follow)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
That is not windows 7 / xp / vista e.t.c. Multi boot would be windows xp / vista / windows 7 properly working. Even thought the menu is there it needs to boot all.

Post the wrong screengrab.

This is the 14GB one

xbootall.JPG

They all boot fine, but do suffer (XP ones) from BSOD after copying the files.

I'm gonna keep playing with it though.

Soldato
OP
Yes.

xboot.JPG

However I might have been a bit quick with the xboot as my test system (one of my own laptops 100% OK) BSOD after the file copy section.

Further testing required methinks.

Might be an issue with XP only though, so will use Xboot for Vitsa & 7 and WinSetupFromUSB for XP (screenshots to follow)

Ran further tests using this method and can now get every OS install to the point of selecting the hard drive for install, only for it not to find any drives !!!

Gonna nlite,vlite and 7 lite the mass storage packs into the images and see if that helps.

The flash drives made using WintoUSB software works perfectly.

Soldato
Grub no good? Each installer on its own partition. Grub boot menu.

Maybe hide the other partitions on boot ( Grub can do all this ), so that they don't interfere with each other.

I've multibooted various Linux LiveCDs, Windows 7 installer and various AV Live CDS, on a single flash drive, with this method.

No reason why multiple Windows installers cannot co-exist peacefully.

I'll see if I can find my grub config file for the above and post it here later.

( No promises, though. I may have deleted it! )

Permabanned
Ran further tests using this method and can now get every OS install to the point of selecting the hard drive for install, only for it not to find any drives !!!

Gonna nlite,vlite and 7 lite the mass storage packs into the images and see if that helps.

The flash drives made using WintoUSB software works perfectly.

That is why I said it was messy. I can't find a decent one. Never have, never will.

Soldato
OP
Grub no good? Each installer on its own partition. Grub boot menu.

Maybe hide the other partitions on boot ( Grub can do all this ), so that they don't interfere with each other.

I've multibooted various Linux LiveCDs, Windows 7 installer and various AV Live CDS, on a single flash drive, with this method.

No reason why multiple Windows installers cannot co-exist peacefully.

I'll see if I can find my grub config file for the above and post it here later.

( No promises, though. I may have deleted it! )

Problem lies with the partitions - on 4 primary partitions can be made on a drive and I have more than 4 versions of XP alone.

That is why I said it was messy. I can't find a decent one. Never have, never will.

I'm not going to give up. will probably get things set up by the times Win 8 comes along and screws me over !!!

Back
Top Bottom