The 2012 Chilli growing thread - the second burn!

Associate
I think my curry plant is growing about an inch every couple of days. I need to cut off the top but that's where all the flowers are =/

I'd do it. As stated above, picking of the flowers now won't harm the crop long term, and will give the plant a chance to develop fully before putting energy into fruit production.

Soldato
I'd do it. As stated above, picking of the flowers now won't harm the crop long term, and will give the plant a chance to develop fully before putting energy into fruit production.

Just wanted to check on this, I have a few plants now, each around 20cm tall now, but some are already putting out a lot of puds / flowers. I was told that it's good to pinch these all off until the plant is taller, is this still a good idea?

I'd imagine I'd let them go nuts when they hit around 30-40cm ish

Associate
Does anyone know what might be the cause of the leaves curling on my scotch bonnet plant? I've read this thread aswell as several other sources which has drawn me to the conclusion it is over-watering, however I've reduced watering to once a week and the leaves are still curled over.
I'm also growing a Habanero chilli plant which is doing well, with no signs of leaf curl despite treating them exactly the same. Thanks for any advice.

Associate
Does anyone know what might be the cause of the leaves curling on my scotch bonnet plant? I've read this thread aswell as several other sources which has drawn me to the conclusion it is over-watering, however I've reduced watering to once a week and the leaves are still curled over.
I'm also growing a Habanero chilli plant which is doing well, with no signs of leaf curl despite treating them exactly the same. Thanks for any advice.

Maybe check for aphids on underside of the leaves? A picture would help with diagnosis,

Associate
Thanks for the reply. I've looked for aphids as that was my initial thought but I can't see any. With regards to pictures my camera is bust at the moment.
I think I'll probably just repot them and see if it picks up.

Soldato
Probs too late to start a bunch of jalapenos plants yeah? Got into em i.e pickled but meh so expensive for so few. If its too late then i might just have to wait till next year and do a big amount of jal plants for the year and pickle em and try to aim for 10 large jars for the year.

Associate
Some (not great) pics of mine so far...Just got some flowers on the bigger ones

Thai Sun
thaisun.jpg

3 Smaller Aussie Black + Unknown
plantsll.jpg

Peppers
peppers.jpg

Unknown
plants2.jpg

Unknown
plants3.jpg

Large Aussie Black
aussieblack.jpg

Lots of unknowns in collection...really need to label stuff :)

Last edited:
Associate
My outdoor plants haven't been doing much lately, we've had enough rain to turn the planters into tubs of compost soup (drainage holes now drilled, lol), and plenty of wind too. When it's been better it's been really nice, and they have gotten pretty bushy, but they're still short.

Have got buds on most varieties other than Habs (doesn't look like they're even growing, save the odd new leaf), only the ornamentals have flowered so far though.

Bhut Jolokia's sown end of april are now nearly a foot tall, in 6" pots on a north-west-ish facing windowsill and are growing really nicely, the Bishop's crown next to them (sown feb) is about twice the height, although it has had a couple of heavy trims to force bushing-out (which hasn't really worked sadly).

Soldato
I've had to clear out my plants today. The leaves are that sticky with something.
Misted them with a soup/water mixture and cleaning all the trays and window off too.
I'm also needing to thin out due to space so binned a couple, dad is going to take a few into work and hopefully my brother will take home the ones I looked out for him a couple of weeks a go.
I've left myself with a curry plant, two summer of fire, two explosive embers and a ring of fire, not a lot but the space is limited. Bro is taking 4, dad is taking 3 to 5. And there's also the 4pepper plants left.

I do fancy the lemon chilli one though, is it too late to germinate now?

Soldato
Probs too late to start a bunch of jalapenos plants yeah? Got into em i.e pickled but meh so expensive for so few. If its too late then i might just have to wait till next year and do a big amount of jal plants for the year and pickle em and try to aim for 10 large jars for the year.
I'd like to know this too. My borther loves jalapenos!

Back
Top Bottom