Folding@Home News 31st May - 7th June

Soldato
OP
Did not see the credit i was expecting so took another look at the destructions and realised i had not set it up correctly :o
At least now it is showing ppd roughly 28000 so am hoping there will be bonus on top of that, can i be included on the single pc league this week please Mr Dekez sah ta muchly :)

Of course :)

MGP

MGP

Soldato
Blimey, my PPD has suddenly shot upwards :D

Looks like there is a new WU about, 8046 that seems to be giving disproportionately high credit and my i7 2600K is eating quite a few :)

Rats, stanford have woken up to this and reclassified the WU. Still the points boost was great while it lasted.

Soldato
-bigadv used to need at least 8 threads so it was possible using an overclocked i7. Stanford then upped the spec so it now needs at least 16 threads. This means dual- or four-CPU monsters like Biffa and Ba(Ba) are using. With an i5 you'll just get SMP WUs which is just as well as an i5 wouldn't make the bigadv deadlines anyway.

Soldato
Still mine does not seem to want to pickup bigadv units, am waiting for this task to finish then start from scratch ..... blimey this is tough :rolleyes::D

**Edit** On second and third thougght its worse than tough its mind numbing, i absolutely know without a shadow of a doubt thanks to Mr Biffa and the foldytastic crew of advisors that i have it set up correctly yet it categorically refuses to bag any bigadv units ..... makes it even worse now that Mr Yeggstry has stomped me :(

Last edited:
Man of Honour
No bigadv for windows mate. Its because the big WU's need a 64bit client and the only one is for Linux.

Best to set client-type to advanced then see how you go, you should be able to get around 100K on that rig in windows given everything working ok.

Have you checked task manager while its crunching? You should have 23 or so cpu's at 100% and one fluctuating with the GPU's pulling on it.

Do a screen grab of task manager performance graph, then go to the processes tab, sort by CPU usage descending, and do a screen grab there.

Also paste the log for the SMP slot in here so we can have a look.

Its all fixable, but if you want to run the big WU's you will have to use VirtualBox, I run it on weebeastie so can help you set it up :)

Last edited:
Associate
Don't worry I'm sure you'll be re-stomping me soon :) I only just noticed this morning my media PC restarted and therefore wasn't folding so my 8800GT will help to keep me ahead for a bit :)

Guess I should warn other people about upcoming stomps...

FatRakoon - 3 days
philip.turner87 - 6 days

Man of Honour
I think you get about 5-6K ppd from an 8800/9800 depending on what version it is and whether the cpu is folding as well. Thats judging by what my 9800GT's do. Power wise the 9/8800 range is pretty high, higher than a GTX460 for about 1/3 of the output

Associate
Yup its about 5-6k PPD on the 8800GT, plus the machine in my sig which pulls about 30k :) I don't know about power to be honest.

According to the stats I've been folding since 2007, but in reality I stopped for about 4 years then started again a couple of months ago.

Back
Top Bottom