Skoda

Associate
mk1 diesel

Well it uses the PD130 engine that is in a lot of vag cars, its a typical turbo diesel a mass of torque between 2000-3500 rpm then nothing, change gear and repeat. They feel quicker than they are because of the torque.

Can be remapped to around 180 bhp very easily, then they start getting quick, expensive for what they are though.

Associate
o right ok, im after a diesel for around £4k so was looking at these just thought it be something different, any you can recommend?

Soldato
OP
TIP fitted now, ball-ache of a job and one which I wouldn't like to attempt again! Engine cover won't fit now as it fouls on the Recirc Valve so looks like I'll need to trim it a bit.

Seems to pick up boost quicker, sounds a bit louder. Can't really tell any difference in how it drives!

9fc7e9bb.jpg

Jubilee fitted to the lower pipe now btw!

Soldato
What are you having for the rest of the system?

It's going on a standard exhaust. I'm just replacing my broken stock downpipe on the cheap basically, until I get it repaired for MOT time next year. I was also hoping for a bit more noise and pull at higher rpm in the meantime!

I have a Jabba Sport stage 1 remap so that might turn off the rear lambda sensor, but I'm not sure. If not I might get an engine light and be forced to go stage 2 to turn it off. ;)

Does anyone know if I should I be expecting to need new turbo bolts for changing the downpipe on a 100K car? Already have the gaskets...

Soldato
I'd do the bolts. They're cheap. I was planning the same. Bigger down pipe and standard system but was worried it would make it torque spike harder. Def tell us what it does to the sound too!

Soldato
The ToyoSports downpipe is on now. The difference in size is comical when you see them together!

Fit: Not too bad. The only problem is at the smallest tapered end it's just a tiny bit smaller than the existing exhaust, so the clamp on the sleeve that connects the two has to be done up very tight. It sealed correctly but the chap put a tiny spot weld on to make sure it couldn't move. I'll have to grind the spot weld off to change it back for MOT time which is the only annoyance.

Noise: Pretty much no change when mated to the standard exhaust, a tiny bit louder if you really want to split hairs.

Performance: I've got a stage 1 JabbaSport v-power map. It's early days yet but I think it does pull a little harder throughout the range with the de-cat, nothing too dramatic though. I didn't notice performance at 5.5K + to drop off as quickly, I think it holds it longer. It also felt a little more responsive and eager to spool at part throttle / lower revs. I need to drive it some more to be sure though.

I did my local benchmark (up a hill from a standing start) and it was 5mph faster than before at the braking point. Not very scientific obviously so I won't read into it too much!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Had the Cam Belt changed for peace of mind. Car is approachIng 65k now and no previous history of it being done, incidentally it was the original belt.

A new belt, tensioner etc, water pump and coolant came to £200 inc. labour which wasnt too bad IMHO!

Need to change the oil, fuel filter and spark plugs next and then I'm up to date with most of the serviceable parts.

Also bought these as I think my current set are warped...

99034978.jpg

:)

Soldato
OP
Replaced the gash blue hose that came with the CAI for a black silicone one, tempted to paint the pipe black now to keep it as standard looking as possible!

Also re-fitted my engine cover after it was removed to fit the TIP.

26155ada.jpg

Soldato
OP
Well, hit a stumbling block today. Got the DP out to check measurements to see if I needed any reducers or clamps on it. I bought it cheap and had a suspicion something may have been not quite right, turns out the Flexi pipe is nackered. At first I thought the light was coming from the Lambda sensor hole but after covering it up, it seems not!

b643320c.jpg

e46c9d49.jpg

f37a76bd.jpg

And the split...

a0c4698b.jpg

1e76251f.jpg

I can get a new Flexi for £12ish so in going to call a local powerflow dealer and see how much they will charge to replace the old one!

Also 'cleaned' the airways with this cleaner, seems to have made it smell a bit fresher and can't complain for a quid!

1e55c1d4.jpg

Needed a cam belt sticker after loosing mine so hunted online and found a website that offered free samples, rude not to :D

dda902a0.jpg

And got some of this stuff ready for the brake change... Joys of having mum work for them :D

ec1b58b1.jpg

Soldato
OP
Got ready to do the brakes today, went to my 'rents house as my driveway is sloped and I don't like working on it!

Got the car in the air and wheels off, stripped off the retaining springs and went in the garage to find no socket or Allen key in the size I needed... Damn!

While the wheels were off I knew my horn needed sorting as the CAI fouled on it so I cable-tied it out of the way, got a piece of mesh and bent a temp bracket up! The outside temp sensor was just hanging as well so I bolted that back up...

f2ea310b.jpg

8bc99ef0.jpg

When I tied the horn up I didn't think and left it pointing up, water got in so I got what I could out, will have to see if it's nackered it or not!

Gave the TB a clean as well, was very grubby when i opened it fully...

Before:

255bd5eb.jpg

After:

a4a89e9f.jpg

Finally, whilst the front wheels were off I gave the calipers a coat of smooth green, better to do it now whilst the old discs and pads are in!

8b695705.jpg

Soldato
OP
Finished off the rear brakes today, found something else to change now though!!

2c69054a.jpg

And my bump stops...

356dec3c.jpg

eb065276.jpg

Not too bad though, about £16 delivered for a new pair :)

Soldato
OP
Had some great news today, well for me anyway!!

I contacted Milltek to see if I could pursue a warranty claim with the split flexi in the Sports Cat, wishful thinking seeing as I bought it 2nd had and you need to be the original purchaser for warranty claims.

They said they can supply a replacement flexi for £34 or so. I asked how much it would be to get it fixed and fitted to the car by them, they said they can't fit it to the car but they would put a new flexi in for the same price if I got it to them. Brilliant customer service IMHO, I was expecting a flat "no". I'll get it sent off next week, very very happy though, puts the sports cat at £140 now but it's still a bargain!!

:D

Soldato
OP
A not great update today, Air Con has been problematic over the past week or so, problematic in the way of not working at all!

Problem is there are a lot of different components that can fail, only one fault code on VCDS which could potentially be a number of different things.

First thing was to get a re-gas, worked fine, lovely and cold. 2 days later...warm air. Compressor isn't kicking in, neither is the condenser fan. Had system pressure tested and still charged with gas.

Ordered a replacement HP/LP switch as thats the 'fault' according to VCDS, I can then go on to investigate other components if that doesn't work.

Bill on air con so far;

- £40 Re-gas
- £22 HP/LP switch

Soldato
OP
Air con problems this week, changed the pressure sensor & found there was no gas in the system.

Found the cause of the problem, inflicted by who ever fitted the Intercooler, started by filling the system with Nitrogen, pressure held to start with but then started dropping off.

Took the front end off to try and see where it was leaking...

023d5fc9.jpg

Re-filled the system with nitrogen, sprayed some fairy liquid about and spotted the culprit..

14f2ddbd.jpg

Clamp part of the jubilee clip was chaffing on a pipe on the condenser and wore a hole through...

14f2ddbd.jpg

Phone pic but you can just about see the pin hole...

e6dd11f4.jpg

Tried to solder it but heating it up created another hole, new condenser time! Happy we found the leak though!!

Back
Top Bottom