The 2012 Chilli growing thread - the second burn!

Associate
Yeah they like the sun (but be careful when through glass on epicly hot days). When fruiting you can use a similar feed to tomatoes to help them along.

They aren't too hard to look after, but may need some structural support when young.

Associate
My first chilli plant is coming along nicely...except for 1 abnormality..

Regular chillies:
CJ3xa.jpg

MEGA Chilli!
3UpZu.jpg

It's like a massive ugly jalapeno and started growing long before the rest of them, possibly too much chilli focus early on? It hasn't changed for a few weeks now, do I pick it or see if it changes colour?

Soldato
Nice! That's massive.

I would wait til it changes colour.

My Jalapenos as of around 1 week ago:

And maybe the most interesting of the plants this year. The Demon Red chilli. You can't really see on this photo, but all the chillies are growing upwards instead of in the conventional direction.

Associate
I am a complete Chilli growing novice and have a question.

This year is my first batch and so far they seem to be going quite well.

Most of them are approaching about 1 foot tall and look like they are just about to flower.

However, a lot of the leaves at the top of the plants are wrinkled (the leaves at the bottom are not), from doing a little bit of searching around it appears that they have not enough calcium and that I need some cal-mag, is that likely to be the case?

Can anyone recommend anything other than Cal-Mag as it appears nowhere local sells it (over the counter), a few places have suggested Epsom salts?

Cheers!

Last edited:
Soldato
That's a new one on me. I'd have thought normal multi purpose compost would be sufficient until you begin feeding one the fruit begins to develop.

Any pictures?

Associate
As above, fingers crossed they do need feeding but my money goes on aphids

If you have got aphids reply back as I had them 2years running so have a few suggestions on possible treatments if you need help

Soldato
Aphids are buggers! Had them bad last year and it seems they have camped out in the house (however they would do that) over winter. Some of our house plants have been attacked this year.

There are plenty of plants for you to attack outside! So just bugger off! GAA!!

Soldato
If there isn't too many then possibly the easiest way is to simply knock them off outside. Then just keep an eye on it as there may still be eggs.

Associate
knock them off first and also dont forget to check under every leaf for eggs...there should be some or a lot depending on how long the little ***** have been on there, then use 95/5% water to fairyliquid and spray all your plants with it, blocks tyhe respiratory system on the aphid so should easly kill a first attack

If all else fails use "Bug clear gun for fruit and veg" as m0rte suggested but you have to spray & leave the fruit for a fair few weeks before you can use it, will clear them 100% though

After all this you still need to check the plants every day as they soon come back ( I had 40 plants last year and it took aaaaaaaaaaaaaaages to check them every day, made my regret not using the Bug stuff from the start (you can also buy ladybirds on line if there in a greenhouse / conservatory (not much use on a windowsil)

Associate
How you guys are pollinating or are you just leaving them and seeing what happens.

I ask because i have trialled a few plants outside and they seem worse off than the indoor ones, smaller, less developed, less flowers / chillies and then you have the pest risk.

Just wondering what % yield you would get letting them self pollinate vs. manually doing it or putting them outside etc

So far my older plants are in full flower and are starting to produce some fruit by self pollination but I'm wondering if this will give a very low yield.

Associate
Outdoors plants I just give a shake, though the wind normally takes care of that, occasionally stick a finger in.

My cayennes are flowering well in the plastic greenhouse, nothing else yet, and only one flower on anything else outside, the chocolate bell pepper.

Associate
Should maybe post an update on my plants while I remember, these are from last weekend.

Well, in between the rain doing it's best to drown everything, my plants have (mostly) been doing pretty well outside.

Cayenne tub
DSCN0420.jpg

First pod of the year is a cayenne
DSCN0446.jpg

Mixed tub, (Hungarian hot wax, Fresno, Anaheim, Rokita)
DSCN0422.jpg

Habernero tub, (Mustard, 2x White, 2x Scotch Bonnet, Red)
DSCN0423.jpg

Numex Suave tub,
DSCN0424.jpg

Ornamental tubs,
DSCN0429.jpg

DSCN0438.jpg

DSCN0437.jpg

Bell Pepper tub,
DSCN0432.jpg

DSCN0433.jpg

DSCN0434.jpg

DSCN0430.jpg

Jalapenos in the ground,
DSCN0431.jpg

B+Q plug tub, (2x Jalapenos, 2x Scotch Bonnets, 2x Hungarian Hot Waxes)
DSCN0439.jpg

Meerkats, cucumbers and jalapenos
DSCN0425.jpg

Mystery Plant found at Wilko's last weekend,
DSCN0417.jpg

Bhut Jolokia's
DSCN0414.jpg

DSCN0415.jpg

Associate
Should maybe post an update on my plants while I remember, these are from last weekend.

Well, in between the rain doing it's best to drown everything, my plants have (mostly) been doing pretty well outside.

Awesome, you have some fine looking plants there chap. Very bushy, healthy looking specimens.

Mine are starting to flower now, will post some pics when the weather clears enough to get some taken.
Should i be pollinating them myself? I have loads of tomatoes outside too that are fruiting now without any help, but this is my first year with chilles so would appreciate some advice,

Back
Top Bottom